2019 Memorial Cup

tomh009

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Suzuki had 3 goals and 4 assists for 7 points in 4 games.   He was every bit as good in the Mem Cup as in the OHL playoffs. 

He had a good tournament, yes, but in the two games that Guelph lost, he was less spectacular, with one assist in the 4-2 loss to Halifax and then two assists in the 6-4 semifinal loss. I was personally hoping for more. May not have been a realistic expectation, though.

I don't know what more to expect than 1.75 PPG. 

He also led both teams in shots on goal in almost every game he played. 

Guelph dominated possession when his line was on the ice all tournament long. 

The only thing he didn't have in the Mem Cup that he had in the OHL playoffs were the fancy highlight reel goals, but since he was still getting the same PPG, i don't see why that matters.  A goal where you bang in a rebound and a goal where you deke three players is worth the same.  And he was still making the highlight reel plays, those just weren't the ones going in during the tournament, the more simple stuff was.  That's just sample size though... sometimes your great chances are stopped and the good ones go in, but most of the time its gonna be the other way. 

Yes, the sample size is a factor, too. And you are right about the number of shots, they just weren't going in very frequently in this small sample. As I said above, this may have been just my perception, it just felt like he wasn't able to make the difference in Halifax, to help Guelph win those critical games (and, yes, that sample size is even smaller).