LD: what will happen? What should happen? What could happen?

The Habs need upgrades in general, but there is one truly glaring roster hole: top-4 LD. I thought I'd create a thread to serve as a clearing-house for discussion of this topic. Feel free to post your thoughts about options and possibilities on this front. E.g., if you were MB, how would you go about fixing the problem?

I got feeling Bergy will go conservative, trade for an upgrade on Mete/Kulak; but, not a lock on 1st pairing.

Who that is, likely will be one who many wouldnt think of and i dont know other teams d-men well, so couldnt even guess.

Much like last year with putting Domi at C, the Habs will sign Karlsson and put him on the left side, then draft a crapton of LD and consider the position addressed. 

Philly seems to have a decent amount of young LD with Provorov, Gostisbehere, Hagg, Morin. 

On 2019-05-29 at 8:20 AM, Habber31 said:

Hoping it's not Gardiner

The thing is, he would be an upgrade on the left side.

LH 28yrs old, 30pts in 62gms +19 (just for commandant:thumbs_up:). 

Like Petry i hear he has weakness one on one or in own end, but he might be...adequate.:D

OH and welcome to the site Habber31.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'd take Gardiner in a heartbeat. But I suspect the odds of us getting him are pretty long.

He just went through being a scapegoat of the media and fans in Toronto.  I would be shocked if he ends up signing with the Habs.  I bet he wants to play in some city that doesn't have 25 beat reporters at every game.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He just went through being a scapegoat of the media and fans in Toronto.  I would be shocked if he ends up signing with the Habs.  I bet he wants to play in some city that doesn't have 25 beat reporters at every game.

I think so, too. It’s possible he’s secretly a life-long Habs fan, but it’s unlikely for sure.

Call around the league offer up our 1st and one of our 2nd round picks and try and land a top puck moving defensemen to play with Weber and to QB our power play.

17 hours ago, DON said:

The thing is, he would be an upgrade on the left side.

LH 28yrs old, 30pts in 62gms +19 (just for commandant:thumbs_up:). 

Like Petry i hear he has weakness one on one or in own end, but he might be...adequate.:D

OH and welcome to the site Habber31.

I've been around, but thanks DON

The issue with Gardiner is that this is his last big pay day. He's  probably looking for a 7x7 contract. 

A great story by Arpon Basu in the Athletic today, about Mete training shooting with Tim Turk. Turk says Mete is very coachable, and is improving quickly.

Turk is really good, and can take credit for some of Gallagher's improved scoring as well. I'm confident that Mete will put some numbers on the board next season, and hopefully take another step towards being a legitimate top-four LD.

Athletic's story is subscription only (though they do have a free trial) but here is a preview from Turk's web site:

https://www.timturkhockey.com/how-victor-mete-is-changing-the-perception-about-small-defencemen-by-being-an-excellent-defender/

• Upvote 2

When the Blues were struggling , I was hoping the CH would go after Edmundston 

After yesterday's win, that has be one even more unlikely.

That is the type of LD I wish we had

2 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I have faith in MB 2.0.

There is a strong possibility that we go deep next year. MB knows this and will secure a solid puck moving LD.

Although I have defended MB 1.x and 2.x , I am not convinced he will get _THE_ solid puck-moving LD we want.

He will get one and we will share lots of opinions in that choice.

Matheson, Edmundson, Larsson, Gildon, even Morin to play with Petry... 

50 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Although I have defended MB 1.x and 2.x , I am not convinced he will get _THE_ solid puck-moving LD we want.

He will get one and we will share lots of opinions in that choice.

Matheson, Edmundson, Larsson, Gildon, even Morin to play with Petry... 

Which of those is a puck-moving defenceman?

Hell which of those is a top 4 defenceman?

I think I'd rather just keep Kulak as the top 4. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Which of those is a puck-moving defenceman?

Hell which of those is a top 4 defenceman?

I think I'd rather just keep Kulak as the top 4. 

Hello Commandant, I was going off an old list of trade targets to switch for Juulsen

Inthink Edmundon would be a top 4 in Montreal

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Hello Commandant, I was going off an old list of trade targets to switch for Juulsen

Inthink Edmundon would be a top 4 in Montreal

He scored 11 points this year and had 68 penalty minutes.   He's not a puck mover or the type of D that montreal needs. 

He was given 9 minutes of ice time in game 7... there is a reason for that.

He was  negative-1.5 relative Corsi despite playing easy matchups on the third defence pair in St. Louis. 

He's not a top 4 in Montreal, 

Hes not a top 4 on any team in the league. 

He's not good... He's a younger, slightly better version of Karl Alzner.... 

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Injury prone, but would be a good transition player to Romanov.

Rumours indicate he doesn't want to leave the West coast.  But we will see, rumours were there on Karlsson too. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Rumours indicate he doesn't want to leave the West coast.  But we will see, rumours were there on Karlsson too. 

Soooo LA or Anaheim?

Or one year vacation til Seattle shows up?