LD: what will happen? What should happen? What could happen?

Edler is quality player but injury prone. He wants a 3-year deal and is 33 and his decline is under way. https://thehockeywriters.com/vancouver-canucks-edler-extension-careful/ The fact that even the d-starved, desperate Canucks won't sign him for that term should be a huge flashing red light. As much as we need LD I don't think I would touch him for that term unless it's at a cut rate.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Edler is quality player but injury prone. He wants a 3-year deal and is 33 and his decline is under way. https://thehockeywriters.com/vancouver-canucks-edler-extension-careful/ The fact that even the d-starved, desperate Canucks won't sign him for that term should be a huge flashing red light. As much as we need LD I don't think I would touch him for that term unless it's at a cut rate.

I think they'd have no issues giving him three years (or more).  It comes down to him wanting a NMC to be protected from Seattle in expansion and Benning has said he doesn't want to put one in the contract.  That seems to be the holdup at this stage.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think they'd have no issues giving him three years (or more).  It comes down to him wanting a NMC to be protected from Seattle in expansion and Benning has said he doesn't want to put one in the contract.  That seems to be the holdup at this stage.

If he loves Vancouver/west coast/western conference why would he try so hard to avoid Seattle?

25 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

If he loves Vancouver/west coast/western conference why would he try so hard to avoid Seattle?

Wants to retire a career Canuck like the Sedins. Another 3 seasons and he should be around 1,000gms.

10 hours ago, DON said:

Wants to retire a career Canuck like the Sedins. Another 3 seasons and he should be around 1,000gms.

Edler may be working from the very plausible assumption that Benning is a total sap when it comes to negotiating with UFAs (or impending ones). After all, Benning has a track record of being a complete boob on that front. Nevertheless, no GM of even modest competence woukd give Edler that kind of term AND a NMC (!) unless it was at a ridiculous discount. If his goal is to finish his career in Van then he has bet everything on his GM being an unbelievable ignoramus.

I know Ryan Murray is hurt more often than not, but maybe he'd be a viable LD option. I'm not sure what kind of assets he'd require to get him from Columbus. Unlike Ghost, he's currently in need of a contract as an RFA.

Braun to the Flyers. Does this make it any more likely Ghost is on the way out? I want the Habs to get him while his value isn’t sky high. I think he could return to a 50 point guy

51 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Braun to the Flyers. Does this make it any more likely Ghost is on the way out? I want the Habs to get him while his value isn’t sky high. I think he could return to a 50 point guy

I tell you what Gardiner is going to be getting a big payday. With Karlsson gone that makes him top D come July 1st. I can see him getting some where in between 6.5-8mil. 

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

This does make it more likely Ghost is traded IMO. 

Bergevin to Ghost right now. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

This does make it more likely Ghost is traded IMO.

They might want to start making some cap space after signing Artemi panarin to a 50 million dollar deal too. 

Oh wait that was Hayes?.. 

7 hours ago, Meller93 said:

They might want to start making some cap space after signing Artemi panarin to a 50 million dollar deal too. 

Oh wait that was Hayes?.. 

Is Hayes that good to get that kinda $$??

He's a 55-60 point guy.  Under the old rule of thumb... say 3-4 years ago... it was 1 million for every 10 points for a forward.. more or less... 60 point guys... 6 million per... 70 point guys... 7 million etc.

But its been a few years and inflation has happened. 

So its comparable with inflation in mind. 

But when you look at him and look at guys who signed 3-4 years ago, he looks overpaid. 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Not close in my opinion

Has all of one 20g season and best he had was 54pts last year after 4 sub 50 pt seasons.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, Trizzak said:

Injury prone, but would be a good transition player to Romanov.

Apparently "lol nvm I sign now" because it looks like Edler will re-sign in Vancouver for 3 years without any expansion draft protection. 

59 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Apparently "lol nvm I sign now" because it looks like Edler will re-sign in Vancouver for 3 years without any expansion draft protection. 

It could be four years according to Friedman.  He doesn't get his NMC but he gets a long enough term that it could scare Seattle off from picking him.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Are you referring to Hayes when you say he is a 55-60 point guy?   He hasn't had 55 points once yet. His average is 46. 

He scored 54 points last year in 71 games... I kinda think he would have go 1-6 points if he wasn't hurt.

Thats the season he's coming off of. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Edler has re-signed with Vancouver.  

Two years, 12 million

Edited by titanfan

1 hour ago, titanfan said:

Edler has re-signed with Vancouver.  

Two years, 12 million

Crazy money, but the term makes sense. That deal actually is a reasonable one given the Canucks' situation. Especially if there is no NTC attached.

Is it even worth talking about Dion Phaneuf?  Guys like him and Corey Perry will go for bargain basement prices now that they have been bought out - or will they?

Is there any scenario that we take a run at him with  a 1 year contract for say $1 million?

EDIT: And of course he is a stop gap, not a long term solution.  We have signed worse players to bigger deals... Karl (cough) Alzner.  Ales Hemsky...

Edited by titanfan

I remember being the only person I knew saying that he was over rated since wjc. People had him penned as a #1 but his performance always felt like a #3 #4. I don't think he's a #4 anymore. This team doesn't need another 6 or 7.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Crazy money, but the term makes sense. That deal actually is a reasonable one given the Canucks' situation. Especially if there is no NTC attached.

Full NMC.