Has July 1st passed Trade Deadline day???

Metallica

I use to stay home everyday from school and then work for trade deadline day. But over the last few years I stopped. It just hasn't been the same I think since they moved the date. 

There seems to be more movement now on July 1st then trade deadline. I know I for one look more forward to the draft and July 1st more so and less so for trade deadline day.

So was just wondering how you guys feel.

There has always been more movement on July 1st.  We see what, anywhere from 60-100 contracts signed on July 1st?  There are never that many players involved in a trade on deadline day.

The days leading up to the draft seem to be the bigger trade days than the actual draft itself.  There were only a few trades involving players on draft day and only 14 straight pick swaps (and the Habs made five of those).

I still like to take deadline day off though.  Not only is it important considering I'm usually the one keeping the site updated (and covering at PHR for a bit as well) but every now and then, there's still some buzz that comes through in the final few hours.  The last one was a real dud though aside from the Stone deal.

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There has always been more movement on July 1st.  We see what, anywhere from 60-100 contracts signed on July 1st?  There are never that many players involved in a trade on deadline day.

The days leading up to the draft seem to be the bigger trade days than the actual draft itself.  There were only a few trades involving players on draft day and only 14 straight pick swaps (and the Habs made five of those).

I still like to take deadline day off though.  Not only is it important considering I'm usually the one keeping the site updated (and covering at PHR for a bit as well) but every now and then, there's still some buzz that comes through in the final few hours.  The last one was a real dud though aside from the Stone deal.

You mean this site is not your full time job?? :o #hero

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think the draft should be held a week after free agency starts. 32 GMs and their respective staffs in one room AFTER the big money players have signed? Yes please. You'd see a lot more teams with a clearer vision of their future after they've landed a big fish or struck out entirely, and I think draft day would become a trading bonanza.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I think the draft should be held a week after free agency starts. 32 GMs and their respective staffs in one room AFTER the big money players have signed? Yes please. You'd see a lot more teams with a clearer vision of their future after they've landed a big fish or struck out entirely, and I think draft day would become a trading bonanza.

That's a neat idea.  I can't see it getting much support as that means less holiday time for the staff but that would certainly add a new wrinkle into things.

• Like 1