Habs re-sign Gustav Olofsson

Trizzak

I wonder if this puts Sklenicka to another organization or Europe? Currently have him, Leskinen, Ouellet, and Olofsson on the left side, with Alzner probably joining Laval too.

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I wonder if this puts Sklenicka to another organization or Europe? Currently have him, Leskinen, Ouellet, and Olofsson on the left side, with Alzner probably joining Laval too.

He already was having a hard time staying in the lineup last season.  I think he's still a reasonable prospect but I also can't see him wanting to stick around if he's going to be starting out at 8 or 9 on the overall depth chart.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He already was having a hard time staying in the lineup last season.  I think he's still a reasonable prospect but I also can't see him wanting to stick around if he's going to be starting out at 8 or 9 on the overall depth chart.

he played some RD last year.  That said with Fleury and Brook already on the right side I don't know how much room there is there either. 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

he played some RD last year.  That said with Fleury and Brook already on the right side I don't know how much room there is there either. 

Lamarche is back as well and even he was getting playing time ahead of Sklenicka at times on the right side.

41 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Lamarche is back as well and even he was getting playing time ahead of Sklenicka at times on the right side.

With no legit top 4 LD (before Mete emerging into one in the second half of the season), the team took so many flyers on LD that its jammed up the system at this point.  Its becoming an issue. 

If they are going to add a LD this summer, and they should, it needs to be a legit top pairing guy and not another player who needs development time. 

As it is the logjam likely played a huge role in the decision to let Walford walk.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

With no legit top 4 LD (before Mete emerging into one in the second half of the season), the team took so many flyers on LD that its jammed up the system at this point.  Its becoming an issue. 

If they are going to add a LD this summer, and they should, it needs to be a legit top pairing guy and not another player who needs development time. 

As it is the logjam likely played a huge role in the decision to let Walford walk.

Has Petry ever played any time on LD? If so how did he do? I'm just imagining a Karlsson signing and how it would ramify for the roster. Petry would be the obvious candidate for a bump to the left side...

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Has Petry ever played any time on LD? If so how did he do? I'm just imagining a Karlsson signing and how it would ramify for the roster. Petry would be the obvious candidate for a bump to the left side...

He hasn't. 

He said in an interview that he was willing to try when they made the Subban trade and were looking for a partner for Weber the first time.  But they never even tried him at that time (and there was good reason to have him anchor the second pair at the time too)... 

Most RD have never played LD as there are more LD out there than RD so teams don't usually get in that situation. 

That said, he probably could do it.   If they sign Karlsson, the options are play Karlsson at LD, or move Petry.

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He hasn't. 

He said in an interview that he was willing to try when they made the Subban trade and were looking for a partner for Weber the first time.  But they never even tried him at that time (and there was good reason to have him anchor the second pair at the time too)... 

Most RD have never played LD as there are more LD out there than RD so teams don't usually get in that situation. 

That said, he probably could do it.   If they sign Karlsson, the options are play Karlsson at LD, or move Petry.

Thanks.

I'd prefer to move Petry to LD. If we sign Karlsson, I want full Erik Karlsson, not a guy who may or may not be as effective because we've thrown him on his wrong side.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks.

I'd prefer to move Petry to LD. If we sign Karlsson, I want full Erik Karlsson, not a guy who may or may not be as effective because we've thrown him on his wrong side.

I can see that argument. 

I also see the attraction of Karlsson passing to Shea Weber.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, Commandant said:

I can see that argument. 

I also see the attraction of Karlsson passing to Shea Weber.

You would think that given their individual strengths that this would be the best D pair in hockey and it would be magnificent to watch.

I want this