2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

The fun has already started - Boston lost in the Stanley Cup Final, Matt Niskanen is now in Philly, and Jordan Eberle re-signs with the Islanders.  What else is going to happen?  As usual, we'll use this thread to discuss the goings on around the league this offseason.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr pinned this topic
59 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The fun has already started - Boston lost in the Stanley Cup Final, Matt Niskanen is now in Philly, and Jordan Eberle re-signs with the Islanders.  What else is going to happen?  As usual, we'll use this thread to discuss the goings on around the league this offseason.

The offseason truly started with a blessing. 

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

The offseason truly started with a blessing. 

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Boston lost in the Stanley Cup Final

I like the part where B(rat) Marchand was crying. It was my favorite. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I like the part where B(rat) Marchand was crying. It was my favorite. 

My friends seem to be torn over which was sweeter: seeing Marchand cry like the snot-nosed little puke he is, or seeing attempted murderer Chara slumping his despondent way through the handshake line. Personally I vote for Chara, whose nearly crippling deliberate assault on MaxPac I will never forget or forgive. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My friends seem to be torn over which was sweeter: seeing Marchand cry like the snot-nosed little puke he is, or seeing attempted murderer Chara slumping his despondent way through the handshake line. Personally I vote for Chara, whose nearly crippling del8berate assault on MaxPac I will never forget or forgive. 

I say my vote is Chara too. 

If Marchand was on our team, I wonder if we would love him. Pests are always loved by their home town fans, loathed everywhere else. 

But with Chara, I’d forever be embarrassed that he was on my team after what he did to MaxPac or any other human being. That wasn’t him just being competitive, that was disrespectful on a human level. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Olli Maatta to Chicago for Dominik Kahun and a 5th.  That's a pretty low price tag for Maatta.  I know skating is a big concern but he's still a serviceable defender.

Pittsburgh is desperate for cap space and this save over $3 million. 

I also like Kahun a lot. He was solid on the line with Strome and DeBrincat.

52 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Death, taxes, and a prominent player using Montreal as leverage in UFA talks.

I said it earlier that maybe his agent was using that as a way to get him more money. Guess I was right. 

• Like 1

Rangers just traded for trouba gave up 20th pick and   Pionk. Makes me think we could get gostisbehere for our 15th pick and NHL ready prospect or one of our winger's.

47 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Trouba to NYR for 20th and Pionk seems like a done deal.

Not Kevin Cheveldayoff's finest moment.

- Trades the 20th pick and Brendan Lemieux for Kevin Hayes

- Trades Hayes' rights to Philly for a 5th

- Trades Trouba for the 20th pick and Pionk

End result:

Winnipeg trades Jacob Trouba and Brendan Lemieux for 26 games of Kevin Hayes, Neal Pionk, and the 134th pick on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Habber31 said:

What a buuum. He had me sold. 

Drag, man. I was really, really hoping we'd land him.

I'm not sure what the way forward is now for the Habs on the blueline. Gardner is all well and good, but I feel a lot better overpaying for a truly elite, game-changing player like Karlsson than for a Jeff Petry type.:( Looks like the trade route for us.

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Trouba to NYR for 20th and Pionk seems like a done deal.

I think that leaves only Gardiner and Gostisbehere as credible options to shore up our two top D pairs, right?

3 hours ago, Metallica said:

Rangers just traded for trouba gave up 20th pick and   Pionk. Makes me think we could get gostisbehere for our 15th pick and NHL ready prospect or one of our winger's.

Trouba has 1 year til free agency. 

Gostisbehere has 4 years at 4.5 million per season. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Trouba has 1 year til free agency. 

Gostisbehere has 4 years at 4.5 million per season. 

I'm increasingly of the mind that MB will do nothing significant to improve the D. When asked about it he will shrug and say 'the price is too high.' He will assume that Weber is eternally immune from decline, just like he did with Pleks, and then blame the players when the wheels come off. That is, after all, exactly what he did ehen he had a gaping organizational chasm at C for six years.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think that leaves only Gardiner and Gostisbehere as credible options to shore up our two top D pairs, right?

Why did you pick those 2? One a free agent and one signed for 4 more years.

2 hours ago, Habber31 said:

Two plausible options.

I watched more Leaf games than I'd like to admit and Gardiner is not the answer to this team's woes. 

I disagree, Gardiner would be  a great fit as a left handed puck mover with Weber shoring up the defensive side of the pairing. 

That said, Gardiner is highly unlikely to sign in Montreal given the  way the media in Toronto treated him.  I think he wants out of this type of media fishbowl. 

I can see Gardiner getting some where between 6.5mil-8mil on July 1st. Seems like over payment for a Petry type clone on the Left side. I hope the team goes all in on Gostisbehere.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I disagree, Gardiner would be  a great fit as a left handed puck mover with Weber shoring up the defensive side of the pairing. 

That said, Gardiner is highly unlikely to sign in Montreal given the  way the media in Toronto treated him.  I think he wants out of this type of media fishbowl. 

He's going to cost upwards of 7 million dollars. He's basically petry

• dlbalr unpinned this topic