2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

He's going to cost upwards of 7 million dollars. He's basically petry

Similar player to petry, though Petry is better, I agree. 

The cost of that player on the market is 7 million, when the Karlsson and Doughty contracts are over 11. 

Inflation happens.  if Petry was a 28 year old UFA today, he'd get over 8 million. 

7 hours ago, Habber31 said:

Two plausible options.

Popular suggestions according to fans; but, we by all now know that fan favourites and Bergevin signing them have zero correlation.

Philly also has two 1st round picks, just traded away a top 4 -man and lowered their payroll, so unlikely to deal away another top 4 d-man, wouldnt you say?

And Gardiner will get overpaid by some GM as the top UFA d-man available and lots of teams need defense and have more cap room than the Habs.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Popular suggestions according to fans; but, we by all now know that fan favourites and Bergevin signing them have zero correlation.

Philly also has two 1st round picks, just traded away a top 4 -man and lowered their payroll, so unlikely to deal away another top 4 d-man, wouldnt you say?

And Gardiner will get overpaid by some GM as the top UFA d-man available and lots of teams need defense and have more cap room than the Habs.

Niksanen makes more than Gudas, and they just added Braun, so they didn't lower any payroll, they added (they even retained salary on Gudas).  Unless they traded someone else that I can't remember (I think they bought out MacDonald).

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Similar player to petry, though Petry is better, I agree. 

The cost of that player on the market is 7 million, when the Karlsson and Doughty contracts are over 11. 

Inflation happens.  if Petry was a 28 year old UFA today, he'd get over 8 million. 

Ya, pretty much 

I think I would have paid Karlsson 12.5. 

Edited by Habber31

23 minutes ago, huzer said:

Niksanen makes more than Gudas, and they just added Braun, so they didn't lower any payroll, they added (they even retained salary on Gudas).  Unless they traded someone else that I can't remember (I think they bought out MacDonald).

Ya, they just added like 9millon in cap... Did they make a trade for another first rounder, that I didn't see? 

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Thanks for correction and yes saw they did add another d-man, so likely he is more available than I thought.

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

Ya, they just added like 9millon in cap... Did they make a trade for another first rounder, that I didn't see? 

No, I am not doing well today.:(

20-22 million left... but need 6-7 more signings.

Provorov is getting PAID

Sanheim has also earned a big raise

Need a backup goalie, they are not going with Hart backed up by Lyon.  They will want a vet to be with Hart. 

Hartman and Konecny should get decent RFA money.  Scott Laughton less so. Justin Bailey we will see if he even gets a QO. 

I don't understand why the NHL and NHLPA don't use last season's earnings for a future cap ceiling instead of for this coming season's. GMs shouldn't be learning the budget for the coming season on day 2 of the draft. They should know over a year in advance.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I don't understand why the NHL and NHLPA don't use last season's earnings for a future cap ceiling instead of for this coming season's. GMs shouldn't be learning the budget for the coming season on day 2 of the draft. They should know over a year in advance.

They use this seasons earnings... and then add an inflator. 

The CBA allows for up to 5% inflator. 

In the early years of the CBA it was simple... the players did the 5% inflator every year. 

This led to earnings not keeping up with the cap rise.  The business wasn't growing 5% each year.  This meant that escrow got bigger and bigger.  Players wanted to stop that. 

The last few years have seen debates over the inflator.  The teams are fine to go 5% each year.  They know escrow protects them. If the cap is higher than 50% of revenues... escrow protects the owners.  The players are the ones with the uncertainty as to how much of their cheque is eaten by escrow... some years as high at 18% on some cheques (and then they got part of that back at the end of the year).  By reducing the cap increase, they reduce escrow.  This also lets previous years catch up, and reduce the starting escrow percentage that has built up over the years. 

BUT, the PA can't agree on this internally.  Players who are free agents... want a higher cap even if it means more escrow.  With a stagnant cap, they won't see raises, and some might not sign at all, they will get squeezed.  With a rising cap, the suitors for players go up and contracts go up even if escrow claws a bit of that back.  Players who are not free agents want escrow to be lower next year. So the players have this internal fight every year now that they want to negotiate the 5% escalator and take something less than that. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They use this seasons earnings... and then add an inflator. 

I'll stop you there cause everything written after that doesn't change that they should use last seasons earnings for this year. Everyone should have known this season's budget a year ago, not finding out in the middle of the draft with free agent decisions already happening. This year has been the worst it's been for all the reasons you listed, but previous years weren't much better. It's bush league. Do a season grace period so that nobody is held hostage by the players wondering whether they should inflate or not.

16 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That seems like a lot of money for a guy who has averaged 18 goals and 46 points in his career. If Hayes is worth 7 million a year then what is Duchesne going to get?  Might be out of the Habs price range. 

I agree.  That's way too much for second liner (maybe an argument could be made that he is a border line 1st liner, but I don't see it).  If it's going to be the kind of year where guys are going to get way over paid in free agency (as opposed to just a little over paid), I hope Bergevin steers clear unless he can sign a real long term solution.  Even the trades this year seem like over payment.  A 2nd and 3rd for Braun?  He didn't even hit the 20 point mark.  Habs should sign Benn and then flip him for a 2nd plus (I'm aware that Braun is better than Benn, but I would never have given up a 2nd for him let alone a 3rd as well).

49 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I'll stop you there cause everything written after that doesn't change that they should use last seasons earnings for this year. Everyone should have known this season's budget a year ago, not finding out in the middle of the draft with free agent decisions already happening. This year has been the worst it's been for all the reasons you listed, but previous years weren't much better. It's bush league. Do a season grace period so that nobody is held hostage by the players wondering whether they should inflate or not.

They don't have budgets, they are paid 50% of revenues.  

With computers today though, getting up to date gross revenue figures isn't hard.  They'd have totals within 24 hours of the end of game 7.

This isn't an issue where finding the earnings is the hard part.  We know what the earnings are.  Heck we've had a good guess of what they would be in December, a better guess in March, and an even better guess a month ago.  Negotiating the inflator on those guesses should be easy enough to do.  You don't even need the final number, just a good guess, to say we are going to use 2% or 2.5% or 5%, or whatever. 

So thats the big issue is the PA has to get their shit together. 

I'm usually a PA over NHL guy, but this is one area where I think there isn't much more the NHL can do.  The PA is gonna have their internal squabble and they have to wait it out. This squabble could have started months ago and it doesn't change the fact that we are right against the deadline. 

It's an overly simplistic thought, but I've always wondered why they don't just cut the cap and contracts by, say 5% and then lower the escrow by 5%.  With all of the escrow, it's not like the players are losing any money in the long run.  The face value of the contract is lower but the net pay to the player would ultimately be the same in the end.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's an overly simplistic thought, but I've always wondered why they don't just cut the cap and contracts by, say 5% and then lower the escrow by 5%.  With all of the escrow, it's not like the players are losing any money in the long run.  The face value of the contract is lower but the net pay to the player would ultimately be the same in the end.

With the escrow there is the chance the league could make more money and you get it back.  With this you wouldn't.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic