Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2019 NHL Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

Ferlands numbers and profile are pretty similar to shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Injuries are the biggest issues with both 

 

When shaw and Pateryn collided a couple of years ago, I really thought Shaw might be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping that MTL would sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have liked to sign Dzingel, taking into consideration the fish that are left. Instead, he goes to the Canes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we pretty much have the same team as last year  - Shaw and Niemi.  You know it's Going to be a long season when you see that PHX spend more cap money then we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metallica said:

So we pretty much have the same team as last year  - Shaw and Niemi.  You know it's Going to be a long season when you see that PHX spend more cap money then we did.

 

You say that as if losing Niemi is a bad thing. Shaw will be missed and he had a monster season, but he was always in and out of the lineup anyway. 

 

And why is it going to be a long season because the Coyotes spent more cap money? Last year wasn't fun for you? I think a lot of people underestimate how young the roster is up front and the room for growth that exists with not only them, but the rookies looking to crack the lineup. I think this is a pretty well balanced and deep team once all is said and done. Add a top 4 LD and I wouldn't have any complaints about them. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metallica said:

So we pretty much have the same team as last year  - Shaw and Niemi.  You know it's Going to be a long season when you see that PHX spend more cap money then we did.

 

Wait... its October 3rd and the Season is starting?

 

Where did the summer go?

 

You do realize that we made a pretty big trade in September last year right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, illWill said:

 

You say that as if losing Niemi is a bad thing. Shaw will be missed and he had a monster season, but he was always in and out of the lineup anyway. 

 

And why is it going to be a long season because the Coyotes spent more cap money? Last year wasn't fun for you? I think a lot of people underestimate how young the roster is up front and the room for growth that exists with not only them, but the rookies looking to crack the lineup. I think this is a pretty well balanced and deep team once all is said and done. Add a top 4 LD and I wouldn't have any complaints about them. 

 

 

No I am just saying that those guys are gone from last years team, No new guys on this year's team. Shaw I agree will be missed unless a young guy steps up . But the main point is no up grande were done, then you see a team like PHX who never spends make up grandes and spend.  

   Just gets me frustrated because i want to see this team win and do good get that feeling back when I got to see this team win the cup in 86' and 93'.  But year after year frustration gets deeper and deeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

Wait... its October 3rd and the Season is starting?

Suzuki and Poehling both in opening night roster, the Byron trade opened up a spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

Suzuki and Poehling both in opening night roster, the Byron trade opened up a spot.

I don't see it.

 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Domi - Byron

Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Cousins - Thompson - Weal

 

Poehling with 4th line minutes isn't worth it, and unless Suzuki outplays Byron or Armia at wing in training camp then he's also better off in Laval playing in the top 6.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
 Advanced issues found
 
 
 
1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

I don't see it.

 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Domi - Byron

Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Cousins - Thompson - Weal

 

Poehling with 4th line minutes isn't worth it, and unless Suzuki outplays Byron or Armia at wing in training camp then he's also better off in Laval playing in the top 6.

 

They can be called up for injuries. 

I also expect the Habs to add one more forward (a true top 6 guy) before we open the season. It will be via trade with a team in cap trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have to consider act that Domi and Tartar ended with good season a fluke including the results from last season, and realize that MB should have been fired. Its either that or Molson does not want to spend money and improve the team. Basically we are a little richer version of the Sens. Its sad to see small market teams willing to invest on winning and the Habs are not. 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I don't see it.

 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Domi - Byron

Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Cousins - Thompson - Weal

 

Poehling with 4th line minutes isn't worth it, and unless Suzuki outplays Byron or Armia at wing in training camp then he's also better off in Laval playing in the top 6.

wasnt serious, some already pigeonholed team without a clue on several positions and endless possible dealings before Oct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Richard09 said:

I think you have to consider act that Domi and Tartar ended with good season a fluke including the results from last season, and realize that MB should have been fired. Its either that or Molson does not want to spend money and improve the team. Basically we are a little richer version of the Sens. Its sad to see small market teams willing to invest on winning and the Habs are not. 

Richard welcome to the forum. One thing you should know is in here god forbidden you talk bad about management you will end up getting down votes all the time. It's kind of like beetle juice, but instead of saying beetle juice 3 times you can't say bad things about management 3 Times., because then the down voters come out. Just giving you a heads up?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Habsworld loves to rip on management. We just generally like to do it based on reality.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Richard09 said:

I think you have to consider act that Domi and Tartar ended with good season a fluke including the results from last season, and realize that MB should have been fired. Its either that or Molson does not want to spend money and improve the team. Basically we are a little richer version of the Sens. Its sad to see small market teams willing to invest on winning and the Habs are not. 

 

You can’t say to MB - hey, Domi and Tatar has good seasons after you acquired them but it was likely a fluke so you’re fired. 

 

He’s done a good job filling the cupboards that looked extremely bare just two years ago. 

 

The Domi trade was a win.

The Tatar and Suzuki trade might be a homerun.

 

Missing the playoffs is the biggest problem so I think he gets this year to fix that or he’s gone. 

 

And you can’t say Molsen doesn’t want to spend money - they submitted an offer sheet that would have paid a guy 21 million in a calendar year. 

 

You cant totally fault a GM for players signing elsewhere - more factors than how good the GM is.

 

Again, it’s been a decent offseason and I’m sure more is to come before opening night. Give the Fire MB chant a rest for a few weeks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

 

You can’t say to MB - hey, Domi and Tatar has good seasons after you acquired them but it was likely a fluke so you’re fired. 

 

He’s done a good job filling the cupboards that looked extremely bare just two years ago. 

 

The Domi trade was a win.

The Tatar and Suzuki trade might be a homerun.

 

Missing the playoffs is the biggest problem so I think he gets this year to fix that or he’s gone. 

 

And you can’t say Molsen doesn’t want to spend money - they submitted an offer sheet that would have paid a guy 21 million in a calendar year. 

 

You cant totally fault a GM for players signing elsewhere - more factors than how good the GM is.

 

Again, it’s been a decent offseason and I’m sure more is to come before opening night. Give the Fire MB chant a rest for a few weeks. 

You have to look at his entire tenure as GM. He has lost more than he has won, the has made more bad decisions that good. There are big holes on the team that he has not fixed year in and year out, and he constantly leaves money on the table instead of spending to win. I am not saying go out and hand Dushane a redicilous contact but there are other free agents that can address a need. No one knows why he signed Alzner but he did and now he will not sign a decent fee agent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Habsworld loves to rip on management. We just generally like to do it based on reality.

 

Exactly.

 

The idea that the owner who just authorized an offer sheet with huge bonuses is cheap.  The idea that the owner who authorized bringing in Mason last year so we could add Armia and draft picks is cheap.  Its just asinine.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

 

You can’t say to MB - hey, Domi and Tatar has good seasons after you acquired them but it was likely a fluke so you’re fired. 

 

He’s done a good job filling the cupboards that looked extremely bare just two years ago. 

 

The Domi trade was a win.

The Tatar and Suzuki trade might be a homerun.

 

Missing the playoffs is the biggest problem so I think he gets this year to fix that or he’s gone. 

 

And you can’t say Molsen doesn’t want to spend money - they submitted an offer sheet that would have paid a guy 21 million in a calendar year. 

 

You cant totally fault a GM for players signing elsewhere - more factors than how good the GM is.

 

Again, it’s been a decent offseason and I’m sure more is to come before opening night. Give the Fire MB chant a rest for a few weeks. 

I’ll grant that the Suzuki deal Is looking good.  I had zero expectations of Tartar and Suzuki’s play translates to the next level the deal is definitely a home run.

 

However, I’m not going to give props about the offer sheet or willingness to spend when no one - not a single analyst that follows the game thought it had a snowball’s chance in hell of succeeding.  I was extremely excited when I heard Montreal was offer-sheeting Aho - I was hoping we’d go after Aho or Marner and would have been willing to give up Four 1st rounders for him, but the offer was too low for the Canes to turn take the meagre picks in return.  Hell, a lot of analysts said Montreal did Carolina a favour for getting the deal done from them.  Aho was seeking $9.5M, but was more than happy to take the $8. Because of the front loaded component where gets around $22m in the first year.

 

two get a sense of how lousy the offer was, you have to consider that the annual average wasn’t much higher than what Weber got 7 friggin  years ago (granted it was for a much longer term, but it was one of those back diving deals that the player isn’t expected to play the last 3 years).

 

as for as fixing the holes those were self inflicted and he’s had more damaging signings than good (Alzner is one of the worst UFA contracts in recent years).

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

You have to look at his entire tenure as GM. He has lost more than he has won, the has made more bad decisions that good. There are big holes on the team that he has not fixed year in and year out, and he constantly leaves money on the table instead of spending to win. I am not saying go out and hand Dushane a redicilous contact but there are other free agents that can address a need. No one knows why he signed Alzner but he did and now he will not sign a decent fee agent. 

 

You cant force free agents to sign.

 

He tried to sign duchene.  Duchene went to nashville.

 

He tried to sign lee.  Lee choose to stay where he is.

 

He tried to re-sign Radulov.  Radulov went to the no tax state in dallas.

 

He tried to sign Tavares and Stastny.  They didn't want to come.

 

No one has signed Gardiner.  I wonder why.  The rumours are its his back injury.

 

He give aho an offer sheet.  It was matched.

 

So what do you do at that point?

 

In the last two years hes won big on trades (Domi, Tatar, Kulak,) while also building the prospect pool into one that is top 3 in the league.

 

So the idea he is too cheap to buy a ufa?  Madness.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys... their names are TATAR AND HUDON.

 

Not Tartar and Hundon.

 

You ruin your credibility when you cant even spell the players name... and its just 5 letters.  Its not that hard a name.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

 

You can’t say to MB - hey, Domi and Tatar has good seasons after you acquired them but it was likely a fluke so you’re fired. 

 

He’s done a good job filling the cupboards that looked extremely bare just two years ago. 

 

The Domi trade was a win.

The Tatar and Suzuki trade might be a homerun.

 

Missing the playoffs is the biggest problem so I think he gets this year to fix that or he’s gone. 

 

And you can’t say Molsen doesn’t want to spend money - they submitted an offer sheet that would have paid a guy 21 million in a calendar year. 

 

You cant totally fault a GM for players signing elsewhere - more factors than how good the GM is.

 

Again, it’s been a decent offseason and I’m sure more is to come before opening night. Give the Fire MB chant a rest for a few weeks. 

 

Agree with your comments. Molson is definitely not afraid of spending money. I am sure he  realizes that a couple playoff rounds would bring in a lot more money than the extra he would spend on a free agent. You can't force free agents to come here. I would guess that MB offered Duchesne at least as much money as Nashville. Over paying for a free agent is not the long term answer.

 

I don't mind criticism of MB, he has certainly made mistakes in tenure but the last couple years I believe he has done a really good job (except for Alzner) of building a good a prospect pool and the future looks much brighter.  I used to post on hockey inside out but got tired of the same old criticism of Price and MB day after day after day. Posters just looking to pick a fight except when the Habs were doing well then they would disappear for a while. The world would be boring if people agreed on everything but I think you can disagree without being disagreeable. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Guys... their names are TATAR AND HUDON.

 

Not Tartar and Hundon.

 

You ruin your credibility when you cant even spell the players name... and its just 5 letters.  Its not that hard a name.

Yeah big loss if credibility when you are on an iPhone and get autocorrected

We’re posting on a hockey forum not the Washington Post.?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's looking like quite a few teams are going to be needing to clear out money fairly quickly.  I have the Rangers, Flames, Stars, Canucks, Penguins, Golden Knights, and Coyotes (seriously) as teams that need to shed a contract.  The Capitals and Sharks could make it work with what they've got but they'd probably like to free up a bit of wiggle room as well.  I wonder if that's now going to be the target for the Habs (and other teams with cap room).  Can they leverage an extra asset or two out of a team that needs to save money?  Unfortunately, aside from Vegas (if Gusev does go), most of the players that would be getting moved would be complementary pieces in all likelihood which doesn't exactly fit Montreal's needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’ll grant that the Suzuki deal Is looking good.  I had zero expectations of Tartar and Suzuki’s play translates to the next level the deal is definitely a home run.

 

However, I’m not going to give props about the offer sheet or willingness to spend when no one - not a single analyst that follows the game thought it had a snowball’s chance in hell of succeeding.  I was extremely excited when I heard Montreal was offer-sheeting Aho - I was hoping we’d go after Aho or Marner and would have been willing to give up Four 1st rounders for him, but the offer was too low for the Canes to turn take the meagre picks in return.  Hell, a lot of analysts said Montreal did Carolina a favour for getting the deal done from them.  Aho was seeking $9.5M, but was more than happy to take the $8. Because of the front loaded component where gets around $22m in the first year.

 

two get a sense of how lousy the offer was, you have to consider that the annual average wasn’t much higher than what Weber got 7 friggin  years ago (granted it was for a much longer term, but it was one of those back diving deals that the player isn’t expected to play the last 3 years).

 

as for as fixing the holes those were self inflicted and he’s had more damaging signings than good (Alzner is one of the worst UFA contracts in recent years).

 

The analysts have also said Point was the initial target and Point said no. Is that MB’s fault? MB went after what many believe was a cheap owner and it just didn’t work. 

 

Again, Free Agents have to want to sign here. People can argue all they want that taxes don’t play into it but they certainly do. So does weather. So does media. There are lots of reasons why a player might not sign in Montreal, can’t blame MB. 

 

The point I was making with the Aho sheet was that ownership is not being cheap. It could have been more. 

 

The fact that Mb has cap space doesn’t meant they’re cheap or not trying.. it’s impossible to know what was offered to who and why people didn’t come to Montreal.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...