Goaltending options?

tomh009

We’ve had much discussion about shoring up the D with either a top UFA (such as Karlsson, natch) or a trade. And somewhat less about UFA forwards.

But another big factor in our narrow failure to secure a playoff berth was the weak/inconsistent backup goaltending. And in any case, Niemi has now signed to play for Jokerit in the NHL. And we really should keep Price’s workload at a moderate level.

So what options do we have? Looking at the UFA list for a goalie that doesn’t cost a huge cap hit ($2-3M max), doesn’t need a 7-year contract and has proven himself able to maintain a .900+ save percentage over multiple years — and is willing to accept a backup role — didn’t give me a long list of options.

Elliott, Miller (turning 39!), McElhinney, Kikaid,  Lehner, Mrazek — and I suspect the last two will want more than we’d want to offer. 

Any other viable candidates?

I too would like McElhinney.  Don't really know if he uses the same technique as Carey, but they are both 6'2''-6'3'' and could be a great fit with Waite.

He'd be my choice from that list (though Kikaid might be good too). But he had a solid season, how much (and how long) would he be expecting? $3M for two years would still be OK for me.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Three little words: LU-ONG-O 

:halm:

Too much to ask for, but we can pray he wants to experience playing in hometown for 1 year?

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Too much to ask for, but we can pray he wants to experience playing in hometown for 1 year?

He has three years left on his contract at $4.53 million per (after what Vancouver kicks in).  He can want to play in Montreal all he wants but Bergevin should be staying away from him at all costs.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He has three years left on his contract at $4.53 million per (after what Vancouver kicks in).  He can want to play in Montreal all he wants but Bergevin should be staying away from him at all costs.

I'm totally talking through my hat here, but if FLA were to buy him out or something, why then bringng him in would be great. But yeah, paying him significant $? Forget it.

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

We're not going to hit the cap wall (hard) for another two years. If we can't get any UFA signed, then why not? In two years you could do a buyout with just a $667K cap hit.

But either Florida should provide some prospects/draft choices in the bundle, or retain some of the salary for the next two years.

Talbot would be a great pick up, but he will likely want a scenario where he can truly show he is resurging, a minimal role behind Carey Price would not be the best scenario to achieve that. Miler could also be a good vet, who doesn't mind the minimal role and still provide some decent hockey, his cap demands would also likely be much more manageable for us. Elliott is pretty much in the same boat, an aging former starter, primed to begin being a serviceable back up and enjoying the role until he retires. so I'll just go ahead and say, for me, they are the most likely and best fits, for the kind of backup we are looking for.

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

Talbot would be a great pick up, but he will likely want a scenario where he can truly show he is resurging, a minimal role behind Carey Price would not be the best scenario to achieve that. Miler could also be a good vet, who doesn't mind the minimal role and still provide some decent hockey, his cap demands would also likely be much more manageable for us. Elliott is pretty much in the same boat, an aging former starter, primed to begin being a serviceable back up and enjoying the role until he retires. so I'll just go ahead and say, for me, they are the most likely and best fits, for the kind of backup we are looking for.

Miller re-signed with the Ducks

On 6/23/2019 at 3:23 AM, Commandant said:

Miller re-signed with the Ducks

Elliott re-signed with the Flyers ($2M for one year). And Luongo has officially retired.

McElhinney and Kikaid as reasonable remaining options?

On 6/23/2019 at 12:34 AM, Trizzak said:

Jake Allen or James Reimer would be interesting, as both could be traded with an asset attached, both are reportedly great team guys, and both fit the Habs' cap crunch window.

I think Reimer and a first or even Reimer and a 2nd and 3rd for Hudon or a mediocre prospect would be excellent. Hope Bergevin is able to negotiate a deal 

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

I think Reimer and a first or even Reimer and a 2nd and 3rd for Hudon or a mediocre prospect would be excellent. Hope Bergevin is able to negotiate a deal 

Florida had inquired about Lindgren last year when the injury bug struck.  Maybe Lindgren is part of that deal instead of Hudon.  Habs already have McNiven and Primeau signed, so adding a another goalie likely means Lindgren is waived anyway.  Unless the goalie they bring in is worse than Lindgren or Lindgren shines in camp and steals the job from them.  I also wouldn't mind getting one of Florida's decent prospects like Gilroy LD, Heponiemi C, Kolyachonok LD (seems unlikely considering they just drafted him last weekend), or Noel RW.

I suppose we also have to factor in where the Habs want to spend their cap space.  Reimer is an expensive backup compared to some of the UFA options.  I would personally trade for him though if I was getting a 2nd rounder back or one of the prospects listed and didn't have to give up anything more than Hudon or Lindgren.

5 hours ago, John B said:

Florida had inquired about Lindgren last year when the injury bug struck.  Maybe Lindgren is part of that deal instead of Hudon.  Habs already have McNiven and Primeau signed, so adding a another goalie likely means Lindgren is waived anyway.  Unless the goalie they bring in is worse than Lindgren or Lindgren shines in camp and steals the job from them.  I also wouldn't mind getting one of Florida's decent prospects like Gilroy LD, Heponiemi C, Kolyachonok LD (seems unlikely considering they just drafted him last weekend), or Noel RW.

I suppose we also have to factor in where the Habs want to spend their cap space.  Reimer is an expensive backup compared to some of the UFA options.  I would personally trade for him though if I was getting a 2nd rounder back or one of the prospects listed and didn't have to give up anything more than Hudon or Lindgren.

It would be nice to see a Habs team which, if God forbid #31 gets hurt or plays substandardly, doesn't immediately revert to having no chance. Nice...but probably unlikely.

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would be nice to see a Habs team which, if God forbid #31 gets hurt or plays substandardly, doesn't immediately revert to having no chance. Nice...but probably unlikely.

Niemi was actually quite decent in 2017-18, he only fell apart last season. He had a better record than Price that year, although his opposition was on average weaker.

So it should be possible again.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

2 years at 3.4 million per season left. 

The Panthers would need to give an awfully good sweetner with that. 

If they do buy him out, though, it would be a whole different discussion.