Cole Caufield Scouting Report

Commandant

25 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So. Was he bpa?

All things considered, probably (or very close to it).  Krebs is the other one I'd have in that mix but it's clear the Achilles surgery was scaring teams away.

24 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So. Was he bpa?

Him and Krebs for forwards. The large group of defensemen that went shortly after also had a case.

But he was the best goal scorer available. 

• Like 1

I mean, if they were going to go for a forward at 15, might as well go for that special goal scoring talent, Cole is the guy. I'm pretty happy with the pick, still wish it would have been in play for some D help but Caufield is a very solid pick at forward, Krebs was literally the only other argument to be made at forward when we got on the podium. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

So. Was he bpa?

I had him 4th Newhook, Krebs, Lavoie, Caufield

Newhook and Krebs went shortly thereafter.

Lavoie hasn't gone yet (so what do I know?)

Of course... I've been saying for a while that my "tier" was close in that 10-16 range and it was after 16 that the drop came.  Caufield was 16, so he was very close with the other 3... i considered the four players looked at here to be in the same tier and basically interchangeable. 

45 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I mean, if they were going to go for a forward at 15, might as well go for that special goal scoring talent, Cole is the guy. I'm pretty happy with the pick, still wish it would have been in play for some D help but Caufield is a very solid pick at forward, Krebs was literally the only other argument to be made at forward when we got on the podium. 

There was no D i would have considered based on my Tiers.  the 4 best picks were all forwards. 

44 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I mean, if they were going to go for a forward at 15, might as well go for that special goal scoring talent, Cole is the guy. I'm pretty happy with the pick, still wish it would have been in play for some D help but Caufield is a very solid pick at forward

The reality is that it's unlikely many players beyond the top few (Kakko!) will be NHL regulars before the 2021-22 season. By then, our defence situation will look quite different. And hopefully Bergevin has some kind of a cunning plan to get us another top-four D for this coming season ...

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

There was no D i would have considered based on my Tiers.  the 4 best picks were all forwards. 

Do you think Caufield will do any growing? I mean could he be a 5’10 forward by the time he makes the teams or does he seem like someone who basically tops out at 5’7

I like this pick.  There was probably a few other guys I would've considered, but this is a good "swing for the fences" kind of pick IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Do you think Caufield will do any growing? I mean could he be a 5’10 forward by the time he makes the teams or does he seem like someone who basically tops out at 5’7

Hard to say if he will grow much; perhaps a little.  His brother is almost 2 years older and a little bigger at 5'8", 173 pounds.  On draft day when they announced the Habs selection and showed Cole with his family, his brother looked somewhat bigger than Cole.

I am pretty happy with the Habs picking Caufield.  They have not gone for a highly skilled player like this in a while, when they have not been drafting in the top 3.  He's a pure goal scorer, very shifty, but he's not a selfish one as I have watched several videos where he has dished the puck off to a linemate when he could have easily taken the shot.  Yes he benefited from playing on the same line as Jack Hughes, but he also scored when Hughes was at the U-18 tournament.  He could be top line player eventually for the Habs. I have no doubt he will play at least 1 year in college, since he's going to the same one his brother is at. He may leave after 2 seasons, similar to what Poehling did, who also wanted to play college hockey with his brothers, and did so for three seasons before turning pro.

17 minutes ago, habscout said:

Hard to say if he will grow much; perhaps a little.  His brother is almost 2 years older and a little bigger at 5'8", 173 pounds.  On draft day when they announced the Habs selection and showed Cole with his family, his brother looked somewhat bigger than Cole.

I am pretty happy with the Habs picking Caufield.  They have not gone for a highly skilled player like this in a while, when they have not been drafting in the top 3.  He's a pure goal scorer, very shifty, but he's not a selfish one as I have watched several videos where he has dished the puck off to a linemate when he could have easily taken the shot.  Yes he benefited from playing on the same line as Jack Hughes, but he also scored when Hughes was at the U-18 tournament.  He could be top line player eventually for the Habs. I have no doubt he will play at least 1 year in college, since he's going to the same one his brother is at. He may leave after 2 seasons, similar to what Poehling did, who also wanted to play college hockey with his brothers, and did so for three seasons before turning pro.

Last few drafts have been kind I think! Juulsen, Poehling, Coconutmiami, and now Caufeild? 

3 years ago we were pissed about how barren the cupboards were, and honestly now we have a top 10 prospect group imo

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Do you think Caufield will do any growing?

No, dont think so, like a Bryon, St Louis, Goudreau etc.

I like the pick.

I’m picturing a “healthy Byron” level of speed and jump, with better finishing/setup abilities.

Im fine with that, he and Gally could be a 1/2 RW combo that drives opposing dmen nuts in 2-3 years and be productive. 

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

I like the pick.

I’m picturing a “healthy Byron” level of speed and jump, with better finishing/setup abilities.

Im fine with that, he and Gally could be a 1/2 RW combo that drives opposing dmen nuts in 2-3 years and be productive. 

He does not have close to Byron speed. 

His good but not great skating is why I didn't have him top 10.  If he skated like Byron, I would have had him probably 5th or 6th.

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

He does not have close to Byron speed. 

His good but not great skating is why I didn't have him top 10.  If he skated like Byron, I would have had him probably 5th or 6th.

Ahha, I should have revisited some reading material before posting.

So, maybe Shaw type speed with some hands?

I do realize no point comparing but first round picks always arouse my interest.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Ahha, I should have revisited some reading material before posting.

So, maybe Shaw type speed with some hands?

I do realize no point comparing but first round picks always arouse my interest.

Thanks.

Caufeild’s bread and butter is his shot. He is quick and agile on top of that, and has excellent has, but at the end of the day it’s all about the shot

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Caufeild’s bread and butter is his shot. He is quick and agile on top of that, and has excellent has, but at the end of the day it’s all about the shot

Yup, that shot is as good as anyone in the draft, and is going to be amongst the best in the NHL.  Think a Stamkos level shot, but without Stamkos' other skills (skating and puck handling).  He's good in those other areas, but isn't elite like Stamkos is in all three

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yup, that shot is as good as anyone in the draft, and is going to be amongst the best in the NHL.  Think a Stamkos level shot, but without Stamkos' other skills (skating and puck handling).  He's good in those other areas, but isn't elite like Stamkos is in all three

Am I crazy to think Cammalleri might be a good comparable? Everything I read suggests as much.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Am I crazy to think Cammalleri might be a good comparable? Everything I read suggests as much.

On the other side of the ice...

Caulfield might end up even better though cause there is more grit and willingness to play in his own end.

Normally i'd be one of those people complaining about his small size, but I really like this pick. I saw a few of the goals he scored this season, and I have to saw I was impressed. The kid has a wicked wrist shot. Can score from almost anywhere! All the experts say that this was a steal for the Habs.  Caufield should have been drafted in the top 10 but dropped right into our laps at 15. Beautiful!