Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

dlbalr

Hate to lose Shaw. 

That said - definitely good asset management - selling when he was at top value. 

How many picks do we have now for 2020?

We basically gained a 2nd+3rd, and freed up $3.9M of cap space. Does that mean we're about to pick up a big UFA contract?

The Habs now have between $12.5 million and $15 million to spend (the CapFriendly roster has Weise and Alzner on there which skews the numbers a bit).  Armia and Lehkonen will take up a good chunk of that but they've got some spending money for tomorrow now.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

How many picks do we have now for 2020?

We basically gained a 2nd+3rd, and freed up $3.9M of cap space. Does that mean we're about to pick up a big UFA contract?

11:

MTL 1st

CHI 2nd

MTL 2nd

MTL 3rd

MTL 4th

SJ 4th

WPG 4th

FLA 5th

MTL 5th

MTL 6th

CHI 7th

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Something big is happening.  

I have a feeling they are getting Duchene. 

You could be right. I'm still hoping it's Gardiner -- or, better yet, that they have a deal worked out for Gostisbehere.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

You could be right. I'm still hoping it's Gardiner -- or, better yet, that they have a deal worked out for Gostisbehere.

They didn't need to clear space for Gostisbehere

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They didn't need to clear space for Gostisbehere

I know. What I meant was that if they do sign an expensive UFA forward, that they also deal for Gostisbehere (or someone similar).

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Something big is happening.  

I have a feeling they are getting Duchene. 

My first thought as well. This reeks of clearing salary more than a necessary organizational move (not that I mind the picks). We're going for something tomorrow. Unfortunately I am not as excited by this as MB probably thinks we'll be.

I'd prefer an overpay on Gardiner than on Duchene myself, but suspect either contract will become an 'issue' as time passes.

Isn't Lee a LW? I'm not sure where he fits unless the plan is to ship out either Drouin or Tatar. 

Another possibility is that he wants to add a couple of midrange guys rather than go Big Gane Hunting. Who those midrange guys might be, I dunno.

The LeBrun tweet is interesting.. Chicago called about a week ago and it seemed Shaw was not available but is now.. what changed???? Guess we’ll find out tomorrow!

I don't like the deal, shaw was one of the habs better forwards, gritty and played a physical game. They are softer and don't have anyone to go into the corners. 

If there is a bigger deal i can understand, but players like shaw make your team better and harder to play against. 

I guess time will tell

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't like the deal, shaw was one of the habs better forwards, gritty and played a physical game. They are softer and don't have anyone to go into the corners. 

If there is a bigger deal i can understand, but players like shaw make your team better and harder to play against. 

I guess time will tell

He's gonna sign Anders Lee, who is 6'3 and 230 lbs and can battle. And Arnia should take a bigger role in Shaw's absence.

You won't miss him.

If they get Lee, 

May be Ducheune which would be a big mistake IMO, 

Lee is good in front of the net and down low, don;t think he skates as good as Shaw but admittedly i haven't seen him play much

Plus LW is stacked with not much on the RW now 

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

I guess time will tell

I love the way Shaw plays, tremendous grit and determination, Habs will miss him.  Obviously something is in the works.  I originally thought MB gave up too much for Shaw (2 x 2nd round picks) but he got a 2nd and 3rd back.  We have a lot of picks again next year, maybe MB will try and make a big splash with the draft in Montreal and use those picks to move up in the draft next year. 

25 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

The LeBrun tweet is interesting.. Chicago called about a week ago and it seemed Shaw was not available but is now.. what changed???? Guess we’ll find out tomorrow!

Bergevin being able to speak with free agents. It seems he is confident that he can sign someone and had to move Shaw out. Signing say a Corey Perry to replace Shaw and also recouping picks in the process would be a shrewd move. But I'd say more likely it could be Duchene or Lee and and quality back up

They need help much more on defense than offense IMO. 

Other than the PP last year i thought the forwards and offense was pretty good for the time in a long time, they also have Poehling and Suzuki