Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

The craziness is about to begin with the start of free agency just hours away.  With the Habs clearing up cap space yesterday, it appears as if they could be active today.  As is our custom, let's use this thread to discuss all the goings-on while any Montreal moves will obviously get their own threads.

Personally, if the Habs could hold off on anything until after noon, that'd be great.  I'm on PHR coverage all morning so if there is any Montreal stuff, it may take a while for me to get it posted on the main site.

The Leafs complete the Zaitsev-Ceci trade which involved a lot more pieces than first anticipated.  It'll be interesting to see if Ceci files for arbitration; his award will be higher than the minimum walk-away threshold so it's possible that Toronto could simply cut bait if they want to save money.

Jason Spezza to Toronto, one year at or around the league minimum.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

OK, so the question is, what would you need to pay in trade, to get a young elite RFA -- who is refusing to sign at the price the team is willing to pay?

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

OK, so the question is, what would you need to pay in trade, to get a young elite RFA -- who is refusing to sign at the price the team is willing to pay?

Could pay more than that team and a pick?

($8.5-9/yr)

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Stars appear to be going all out on a short-term Cup drive, rumoured to be signing three players nearing 35: Pavelski, Perry and Sekera.

Ha!!! That’s like the leafs in the pre-cap era.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What team would tell rivals that they won't match an offer sheet? (TO said as much about Marner but that's an exception). If I'm MB and talks with Lee/Gardiner don't seem promising, then I do this 100%.

Offer sheet to Oho $9.5 m from Habs.

Wiating to hear back from Carolina.

(Seems ballsy move, but also seems smart.)

seems like a fake one

13 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I am scared and nervous about this Bergevin doesn't have a good track record on July 1st.

I'm totally stoked. This is a chance to really elevate the team and FINALLY start getting serious about winning. 

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm totally stoked. This is a chance to really elevate the team and FINALLY start getting serious about winning. 

We need to or otherwise we're just wasting  Price and Weber.

TSN's projection a few minutes before the floodgates open:

1. Artemi Panarin - expected to join New York Rangers
2. Matt Duchene - expected to join Nashville Predators
3. Sergei Bobrovsky - expected to join Florida Panthers
4. Anders Lee
5. Tyler Myers - expected to join Vancouver Canucks
6. Joe Pavelski - expected to join Dallas Stars