Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

21 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Montreal now has cap tied up on a player that isnt even on their roster. Way too low of an offer too. They could have added an extra 2 million in bonuses...Pointless offer

Montreal still has 12 million to spend if they want to, by going over the cap by 8.1 million in off-season. 

12 minutes ago, PMAC said:

A team can go over the cap in summer. They can still add Gardiner if that’s the move they want yo make

Yes. But is MB going to take that risk? He may have exhausted his risky-move quotient with the Aho offer sheet.

21 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Montreal now has cap tied up on a player that isnt even on their roster. Way too low of an offer too. They could have added an extra 2 million in bonuses...Pointless offer

Think about why they chose this number, they gave up one less 1st round draft pick is what I'm hearing. 

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Hearing Montreal has just offer sheeted Aho.

the bonus structure is where its at by the looks of it, 21mil pay out in bonus in 1st 12months, WOW!!!! BallZY!!!!! :o

19 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Indeed!

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

21 million is basically 1 years worth of Hurricanes ticket sales. 

Dundon also has the AAF bill and is being sued right now.  There is no telling how liquid the guy is .

i would upvote both ur comments but ima out for the day :( lollll

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes. But is MB going to take that risk? He may have exhausted his risky-move quotient with the Aho offer sheet.

Bergevin 2.0 seems to be much less risk-averse than Bergevin 1.0. I remain cautiously optimistic -- and happy that they at least took a run at Aho.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

21 million is basically 1 years worth of Hurricanes ticket sales. 

Dundon also has the AAF bill and is being sued right now.  There is no telling how liquid the guy is .

Yeah,  the Habs have basically thrown the cat among the pigeons when it comes to Canes ownership: are you serious or aren’t you? Seven days to tell the tale.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah,  the Habs have basically thrown the cat among the pigeons when it comes to Canes ownership: are you serious or aren’t you? Seven days to tell the tale.

I think they will match, but even then i'm not upset, I care more about MB making an effort than the result.

19 minutes ago, bar said:

I think they will match, but even then i'm not upset, I care more about MB making an effort than the result.

I celebrate the fact that he made a bold, outside the box play.

But if, when all is said and done and summer is over and the team no better than last year’s, then he still blew it in my books. After eight years of MB futility and 25 years of non-contention, I am more than a little ‘results oriented.’ I’ve been playing the ‘just wait 2-3 years’ game for a quarter century; and I’m not buying it any more.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But if, when all is said and done and summer is over and the team no better than last year’s, then he still blew it in my books. After eight years of MB futility and 25 years of non-contention, I am more than a little ‘results oriented.’

Let's see what happens. I don't think we're in play for Lee any more, but Gardiner is still out there. Or we trade (Gostisbehere?) or take a run at another RFA (Honka?) now that we're officially in the offer sheet business. :)

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But if, when all is said and done and summer is over and the team no better than last year’s, then he still blew it in my books. After eight years of MB futility and 25 years of non-contention, I am more than a little ‘results oriented.’ I’ve been playing the ‘just wait 2-3 years’ game for a quarter century; and I’m not buying it any more.

My expectations were so low for this offseason that the offer sheet has thrown me out of wack.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

7 years, $7M AAV.

Aho's $8.4M AAV looks very good in comparison, although we would also need to give up the draft picks. And Carolina can match, natch ...

The goalie carousel has come to an end:

Varlamov to the Islanders on a four-year deal.

Mrazek re-signs in Carolina (I wonder if that's a backloaded contract).

Lehner to Chicago.  That one I didn't see coming.

Brett Lernout has signed a one-year deal with Vegas.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As the entire TSN panel has said, the money needed to be 10.5 million. Bergevin took it to the line, but not far enough. It was a soft attack 

Now there is no plan B, unless you give up part of the core, to get a player in a trade. 

Edited by Habber31

20 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

As the entire TSN panel has said, the money needed to be 10.5 million. Bergevin took it to the line, but not far enough. It was a soft attack 

Now there is no plan B, unless you give up part of the core, to get a player in a trade. 

This is sort of what I mean by ‘risk averse.’ Even when he makes a big play, he hedges. I noticed in his presser,  he kept talking about what he was ‘comfortable’ with, and that he was ‘comfortable’ with this deal. My guess is that to swing something like this, you need to be *uncomfortable.* Because that’s when you’re really out there playing for high stakes. Bergy’s favourite position seems to be a Gallic shrug: hey, I tried, the price was too high, this isn’t PlayStation, yada yada yada. And behind all that, I suspect, is an owner who accepts endless excuses so long as the dollars keep rolling in.