Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nope.  It's a signed offer sheet.  No trade option remains - if they match, they can't deal him for a year.

Right ... but at the moment they have neither matched nor declined to match. I didn't see any rule for this situation. Did I miss it?

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Right ... but at the moment they have neither matched nor declined to match. I didn't see any rule for this situation. Did I miss it?

By rule, they can't trade him now.

Bergevin finally did something i wanted, but I think being Bergevin, he still made the right play but still fxcked it up. Should have offered $9M, would have been costed an extra 1st round pick, but more of a chance that the canes don't match. I can't see the Canes not matching this.

I saw a report of offering Poehling and Suzuki and 1st and 2nd picks.  I;d be reluctant go give up Poehling and rather give up 2 first picks instead of two players closer to making it.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, illWill said:

They would have to add an additional first round pick if it is over 8.5 m per year

I understand we’d lose an additional pick, making it even more enticing for them not to match. He’s worth two firsts plus a second and third.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

OK, thanks.

On a related topic, where would this leave our remaining cap space?

They're around $12-14 million at the moment.  This is for just under $8.5 million so on the off chance this isn't matched, that's probably it for the spending spree as Armia and Lehkonen will get the rest of the remaining money.

Since Carolina has a week to decide, are we in limbo until then since we've committed that amount of money? Does that mean we cannot sign a Jake Gardiner and if Carolina matches we end up losing the opportunity to sign those players? Are we kind of on hold free agent wise until Carolina decides? 

I still really like this move. 

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Bergevin finally did something i wanted, but I think being Bergevin, he still made the right play but still fxcked it up. Should have offered $9M, would have been costed an extra 1st round pick, but more of a chance that the canes don't match. I can't see the Canes not matching this.

I saw a report of offering Poehling and Suzuki and 1st and 2nd picks.  I;d be reluctant go give up Poehling and rather give up 2 first picks instead of two players closer to making it.

I agree. Not enough money to work. 

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

By rule, they can't trade him now.

On an off thought, I presume they could do a side deal with Carolina, giving them, say, Drouin in exchange for a draft pick. And Carolina declines to match ...

12 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree. Not enough money to work. 

at a minimum it had to give the canes back two firsts.  Frankly, i'd have been willing to give up 4 1sts for Aho or Marner.

15 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Since Carolina has a week to decide, are we in limbo until then since we've committed that amount of money? Does that mean we cannot sign a Jake Gardiner and if Carolina matches we end up losing the opportunity to sign those players? Are we kind of on hold free agent wise until Carolina decides? 

I still really like this move. 

The picks are encumbered but the cap space isn't.  In theory, they can still go after Gardiner/Lee/etc.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

On an off thought, I presume they could do a side deal with Carolina, giving them, say, Drouin in exchange for a draft pick. And Carolina declines to match ...

Yep, that would be sneaky but legal.

Canes will likely match but we can hope the owner is too cheap to pay the signing bonus.

Sucks that we wait for the week to find out and by then the good free agents will be gone. We can still try and trade for the Dman we need of course.

Seems like a strong chance that we get nothing at all but I'm happy MB took the risk

13 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Montreal better resign Domi if he becomes a RFA they might hit back.

That's exactly the way to avoid the offer sheet risk.

That, more than angering dumbass  GMs and their dumbass ‘code,’ is the real danger in this strategy - you open yourself to retaliatory offer sheets. But none of the Habs’ young talent rivals Aho, so the gamble makes sense in context.

Waddell called Aho the team's best player and said the team wants to keep him. He said he couldn't comment on the situation since he'd only been informed of it by the Canadiens roughly 20 minutes before his availability. 

"I know my summer just got better. I won't have to spend all summer negotiating a contract," Wadell said. "So we'll make a decision on it and move on."

The general manager said the AAV offered by the Canadiens was slightly higher than he'd hoped to sign Aho for, though "not of whack." He called the five-year term disappointing for the Hurricanes if they are to match, since the team had hoped to sign Aho to a longer term.

So its Christmas day. My wife just showed me a picture of my brand new ktm 350 that I probably dont get. Not only that, I can't have a Honda 500 either. And I have to wait a week. But if I get it, it's a really good deal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1