Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

- $21.2 million is what the Habs would pay in the first 12 months.  That is basically 1 full year of Carolina Hurricanes ticket sales.

- Tom Dundon is facing a $70 million lawsuit after he sunk $250 million into the AAF.

- If the Canes match, Habs could circle back to Brayden Point and offer sheet him.  They talked to him this morning too. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The picks are encumbered but the cap space isn't.  In theory, they can still go after Gardiner/Lee/etc.

The Space is encumbered, BUT... Habs can go 8.1 million over the cap in the off-season, so they can still shop. 

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yep, that would be sneaky but legal.

Its been done before... the Flyers signed Chris Gratton of the Lightning, then the Lightning traded the 4 first rounders (at the time) back to the Flyers for Renberg and Dykhuis

Maybe Bergevin chatted with Dudley before making the offer....Dudley a planted spy for the Habs. Ha...hahaha.

Anyway, it'll be cool if this works out. The general consensus seems to be that the Canes will match. At least it adds some intrigue to the offseason.

12 minutes ago, kaos said:

Carolina will match.  If they wait 7 days to match, Montreal is screwed.

Hard to say, but this is a plausible outcome.

I love the fact that MB finally acted outside the box. But risk-aversion has been one of his major flaws as GM. Did he take too cautious an approach to this big bold play and thereby undercut the chances of success? If so, it would be his congenital risk-aversion biting him on the ass, like a bathetic version of a Greek tragedy.

Thst said, he would still have all summer to make the team markedly better. Too soon to tell, then.

I  don't see much downside.   Yes we will have to wait a week and they will probably match but what great free agents are we missing out on while we wait. Plus I figure this forces Carolina to trade some players to afford Aho  year. 

Interestingly enough, and I hard forgotten all about this, Carolina made this same kind of front-end-loaded/bonus-laden offer sheet to Fedorov back in 1998, designed to discourage the Red Wings from matching. In the end, they did match, though.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We can still spend 12 million in those 7 days... why are they screwed?

Carolina says theyll match but waits 7 days

Montreal spends $12 million.

Carolina then decides to not match and accept the draft picks = Uh Oh

I really like this move. One thing for sure,  MB is not getting any Christmas cards from Carolina.  It definitely shows the Habs are willing to spend money up front to improve the team. I sure hope Carolina does not match but I expect they will.  A 1st, 2nd and 3rd is a real cheap price to pay for a #1 center who is only 21. Carolina has to match.

17 minutes ago, kaos said:

They obviously aren't going to spend all 12... but nothing stopping them from signing Jake Gardiner (or making a trade for a LD)

18 minutes ago, kaos said:

They wouldn't go and spent $12 million though.  If they want a Gardiner, a Lee, whoever, it's not going to cost that much.  They can still sign one player if they want - they won't go nuts though.

Bergevin declined to comment if there's a Plan B in place either.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin is saying it... the big thing is the bonuses.  Thats where they think Dundon and Carolina is vulnerable. 

Yep this whole deal hinges on the hope that Dundon can't afford that much up front. This is a very creative and ballsy move by MB.

I bet carolina would have matched 10.4 the same as 8.4 but this massive amount of cash upfront is the key.

The next 7 days are going to suck...

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think that says a lot right there...

You wonder why they would say that really. If they want to wait the 7 days, wouldn’t you want to keep Bergevin unsure?

Maybe they won’t wait after all 

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They wouldn't go and spent $12 million though.  If they want a Gardiner, a Lee, whoever, it's not going to cost that much.  They can still sign one player if they want - they won't go nuts though.

Bergevin declined to comment if there's a Plan B in place either.

I interpreted his comments to imply that he would not be going after major UFAs during the waiting period - because he did not challenge the premise when it was suggested that the Canes might match and all the top UFAs would be signed by then.

As happy as I was when I first heard of this, the more I think about it, the likelier it seems that the net result will be MB standing there with his wiener in his hand, as per usual -_-

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I interpreted his comments to imply that he would not be going after major UFAs during the waiting period - because he did not challenge the premise when it was suggested that the Canes might match and all the top UFAs would be signed by then.

As happy as I was when I first heard of this, the more I think about it, the likelier it seems that the net result will be MB standing there with his wiener in his hand, as per usual -_-

I know he has to put a spin job on but realistically, what are the odds this isn't matched?  5%?  It wouldn't have hurt to simply say that they have plans in place no matter what the outcome of this may be.

18 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

You wonder why they would say that really. If they want to wait the 7 days, wouldn’t you want to keep Bergevin unsure?

Maybe they won’t wait after all 

I very much doubt the twitter poll is an official statement.

Waddell can't make the decision by himself, either, he doesn't have the budget for that. He's got to talk to Dundon and ask for another $20M.