Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

Eklund just wrote that now Montreal and Carolina can talk trade. Is that true? Once Montreal makes and gets a signed offer sheet back can Carolina now approach Montreal and try to work out a trade? Eklund says that's what will happen now?? 

Thoughts?? 

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I interpreted his comments to imply that he would not be going after major UFAs during the waiting period - because he did not challenge the premise when it was suggested that the Canes might match and all the top UFAs would be signed by then.

As happy as I was when I first heard of this, the more I think about it, the likelier it seems that the net result will be MB standing there with his wiener in his hand, as per usual -_-

I dont know what people expect. He went after Duchene. He tried to get Lee. He is trying to get Aho. Should he offer 7x 9.5 for Lee. There are only a few suitable free agents for us. If those guys won't sign here I don't know what MB can do. 

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know he has to put a spin job on but realistically, what are the odds this isn't matched?  5%?  It wouldn't have hurt to simply say that they have plans in place no matter what the outcome of this may be.

I was excited when I first heard this but have tempered my enthusiasm as I fully expect Carolina to match. I agree with Craig Button that if the Habs had offered a little more money and had to give up 2 first round picks then there was a much better chance Carolina would not match. There are a lot of other teams with RFA's that might be a little nervous right now when Carolina matches as MB will have to do something. Maybe he could also tick off Calgary by giving Mathew Tkachuk an offer sheet. 

13 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Eklund just wrote that now Montreal and Carolina can talk trade. Is that true? Once Montreal makes and gets a signed offer sheet back can Carolina now approach Montreal and try to work out a trade? Eklund says that's what will happen now?? 

Thoughts?? 

They can't do a direct trade involving Aho.  But as was suggested earlier in the thread, the Habs could offer an inducement in a separate trade to convince Carolina to not match.

I honestly don’t think the added money would have made a difference, the Canes would have matched it either way.

What the Habs were trying to exploit is the front loaded bonuses to scare the owner away, maybe it works maybe it doesn’t. But he gave it a shot.

In any event even if the Canes match I still think the team is set with fresh young talent that will probably be making the team next year so it’s not too bad. Need to try to fix the back end though.

Dont think Thompson is gonna make the cut for the opening night roster. I'll go with...

Weise 

Alzner

Peca 

Hudon after signed

will all be cut/ waived or traded 

Drouin Aho Domi

Tatar danault gallagher

Lehk KK Armia

Byron Poehling Weal

Thompson Evans*

Mete Weber

Gardiner  Petry

Kulak frolin

Reilly

Price

Kincaid 

That's my opening roster  with Gardiner and Aho signing

Leskonan Juulsen suzuki as outside looking in 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Bergevin finally did something i wanted, but I think being Bergevin, he still made the right play but still fxcked it up. Should have offered $9M, would have been costed an extra 1st round pick, but more of a chance that the canes don't match. I can't see the Canes not matching this.

I saw a report of offering Poehling and Suzuki and 1st and 2nd picks.  I;d be reluctant go give up Poehling and rather give up 2 first picks instead of two players closer to making it.

Welcome back, we haven't heard from you since the Habs had a great season. I see you still think Bergevin is a moron despite the majority thinking otherwise, but I'll play along. 

Bergevin clearly stated that they weighed all of the options and considered offering more AAV. The main issue here is not only the 21 million lump sum in year 1, but also the 5 year term. Carolina wanted an 8 year term buying up some UFA years, so the AAV would increase along with that. 

Or Bergevin is a moron and you know  better, whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t believe MB is going to go on an offer sheet frenzy. As fun and zany as that would be...

The likeliest outcome seems to be that nothing will happen and that the Habs seven days from now will basically be last year’s squad minus Shaw.

This will leave MB the trade route to try to make the team better.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t believe MB is going to go on an offer sheet frenzy. As fun and zany as that would be...

The likeliest outcome seems to be that nothing will happen and that the Habs seven days from now will basically be last year’s squad minus Shaw.

This will leave MB the trade route to try to make the team better.

Minus Shaw, minus Niemi, plus Kinkaid, minus Benn. And maybe plus Poehling ...

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Welcome back, we haven't heard from you since the Habs had a great season. I see you still think Bergevin is a moron despite the majority thinking otherwise, but I'll play along. 

Bergevin clearly stated that they weighed all of the options and considered offering more AAV. The main issue here is not only the 21 million lump sum in year 1, but also the 5 year term. Carolina wanted an 8 year term buying up some UFA years, so the AAV would increase along with that. 

Or Bergevin is a moron and you know  better, whatever. 

Philly tried the same squeeze with Nashville - did it work?  The canes have a new owner, there is NO WAY IN HELL is he going to lose his best player for the return he gets for not matching - especially when the consensus is that the Annual average is market rate given the other signings this year.  Nashville sucked up and swallowed the poison pill- so will the canes.  Hell, even Waddell said he thought the offer would be higher.  I loved the move, but in typical Bergevin fashion he fxcked up and as usual was hostile when reporters questioned him on why not making a higher offer. 

Funny how EVERY friggin analyst said the offer was too low and is entirely based on the hope that the canes won’t want to pay the $22m in the first year.  So it’s not just me, it’s every friggin analyst? But I get it.  You have a hard on for bergevin who can do no wrong.  Whatever.

The canes  won’t like it but they will match for the following reasons,

- the return they get is not worth it for a 21 year old first line centre.

-the actual salary is close to market rate

-no way that Dundon would let his best player go for such a crap return in the first year of ownership. If he doesn’t match he is a bigger moron than Bergevin and I honestly don’t think that’s possible.

bergevin said he considered all factors, but if he had any brains, he would have paired the poison pill payments with either a higher than market salary or a shorter term than 5 years.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Philly tried the same squeeze with Nashville - did it work?  The canes have a new owner, there is NO WAY IN HELL is he going to lose his best player for the return he gets for not matching - especially when the consensus is that the Annual average is market rate given the other signings this year.  Nashville sucked up and swallowed the poison pill- so will the canes.  Hell, even Waddell said he thought the offer would be higher.  I loved the move, but in typical Bergevin fashion he fxcked up and as usual was hostile when reporters questioned him on why not making a higher offer. 

Funny how EVERY friggin analyst said the offer was too low and is entirely based on the hope that the canes won’t want to pay the $22m in the first year. They won’t like it but they will match for the following reasons,

- the return they get is not worth it for a 21 year old first line centre.

-the actual salary is close to market rate

-no way that Dundon would let his best player go for such a crap return in the first year of ownership. If he doesn’t match he is a bigger moron than Bergevin and I honestly don’t think that’s possible.

bergevin said hey considered all factors, but if he had any brains, he would have paired the poison pill with either a higher salary, or a shorter term than 5 years.

Bergevin has been good the last year, sending this offer sheet doesn’t warrant a moron comment. Most wouldn’t have sent it at all. Truth is, Carolina didn’t want to sign Aho to that deal, and MB is trying something outside the box 

12 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Bergevin has been good the last year, sending this offer sheet doesn’t warrant a moron comment. Most wouldn’t have sent it at all. Truth is, Carolina didn’t want to sign Aho to that deal, and MB is trying something outside the box 

I liked the out of box move, as well as moving out Shaw and other slugs.  But what’s the point of making an RFA offer unless it’s structured in a way that it won’t be matched.

the only way it won’t be matched is if MB actually does get creative and makes a side deal with Carolina not to match by giving them other players.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I liked the out of box move, as well as moving out Shaw and other slugs.  But what’s the point of making an RFA offer unless it’s structured in a way that it won’t be matched.

the only way it won’t be matched is if MB actually does get creative and makes a side deal with Carolina not to match by giving them other players.

You know, that’s a pretty interesting idea. ?

23 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Moron or whatever other adjective people used for Bergevin over the last year while maintaining 8 million in cap space is certainly applicable now.

Bergevin et al., clearly misjudged the situation.  Now instead of $8 million in cap space theyll have ~$13 million.

If Carolina takes the 7 days to match, theres no guarantees any of the rfa/ufa are left to sign. Atleast not any that can impact this season.

Then Bergevin is cornered into the trade market and his track record there isnt exactly stellar or inspiring.

13 minutes ago, kaos said:

Moron or whatever other adjective people used for Bergevin over the last year while maintaining 8 million in cap space is certainly applicable now.

Bergevin et al., clearly misjudged the situation.  Now instead of $8 million in cap space theyll have ~$13 million.

If Carolina takes the 7 days to match, theres no guarantees any of the rfa/ufa are left to sign. Atleast not any that can impact this season.

Then Bergevin is cornered into the trade market and his track record there isnt exactly stellar or inspiring.

Lets just ignore all the progress the Habs have made over the past year then eh?

I wouldnt have done an offer sheet, kind of underhanded in my book. 

I understand Aho is a a great young player, but how does he make the habs a contender? 

Still need defense, and now a quality RW, 

Domi, KK, Poehling, Danault Suzuki are good young centers. 

Im obviously in the minority on this move. 

44 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree.  The problem now is that they are already giving up a 1st (not guaranteed that it won't be a lottery pick) a 2nd and a 3rd.  I wonder what more they have to cough up to get Carolina to walk away?