Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

6 hours ago, Metallica said:

Montreal better resign Domi if he becomes a RFA they might hit back.

As long as we sign guys before July 1, we good. ?

4 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I’d sheet Laine if Carolina matches.. 

Imagine him on one side and Caufield on the other - scary ass PP!

36 minutes ago, Metallica said:

If they wanted to do a side deal I would think Danault  and A extra 2nd would get it done. 

So then the deal would be

To habs 

Aho 

To Carolina 

Danault, 1st, 2 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick 

I think that gets it done, we don't need  Danault as we get Aho and Danault becomes Carolina's replacement center for losing Aho. That would also give us more cap space to go out a get a LD. 

I’d gladly give up Danault and a second 1st to get the deal done.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d gladly give up Danault and a second 1st to get the deal done.

If the Canes are already not liking the contract I wonder if it would take less to entice them. 

I actually don’t like having to add Danault and a second first. I think many here massively undervalue Danault simply because he’s a 50 point guy.

Two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, AND Danault.. 

Quite steep. Not saying I 100% wouldn’t but it could easily be a trade we lose.

12 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

If the Canes are already not liking this deal I wonder if it would take less to entice them. 

I actually don’t like having to add Danault and a second first. I think many here massively undervalue Danault simply because he’s a 50 point guy.

Two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, AND Danault.. 

Quite steep. Not saying I 100% wouldn’t but it could easily be a trade we lose.

I don’t undervalue Danault, I just value him less than Poehling or Suzuki - both of whom could end up being bigger regrets and have higher ceilings.

if there was no offer sheet and the canes came to us and said give us two 1st round picks, a second and third and Danault for Aho, I wouldn’t even wait for them to finish before I said yes.

The 7 day waiting period sucks, it should be much shorter.  It would be ludicrous for Carolina to walk away, but maybe we've succeeded in annoying their owner.  Two 1sts is a stiff price to pay, but Aho is arguably worth it.  Bergy didn't make a legitimate offer. 

The owner had 70 million recently lost in the afl failure.  Now he has to fork out 21 million over 12 months for a single hockey player. I wish I could spend 91 million without a return.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

The owner had 70 million recently lost in the afl failure.  Now he has to fork out 21 million over 12 months for a single hockey player. I wish I could spend 91 million without a return.

Lost 250 million in the AAF failure

Is being sued for another 70 million

His hockey team has approximately 27 million in ticket sales per year, and this contract pays $21 million in 12 months. 

How liquid is he?

The social media account can make all the funny posts they want.  The GM can say whatever in a press conference.  None of it means anything til Dundon decides.

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lost 250 million in the AAF failure

Is being sued for another 70 million

His hockey team has approximately 27 million in ticket sales per year, and this contract pays $21 million in 12 months. 

How liquid is he?

The social media account can make all the funny posts they want.  The GM can say whatever in a press conference.  None of it means anything til Dundon decides.

The way I read it was that he committed to spend 250 over time and had provided 70 to carry the league for the year. He was told that 55 would be enough. They filled for bankruptcy and now he is suing for his 70 million to be returned, because he was given false information prior to the investment.  But it was an unsecured investment so he's probably lost it. That's a pile of cash in one year. 

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The way I read it was that he committed to spend 250 over time and had provided 70 to carry the league for the year. He was told that 55 would be enough. They filled for bankruptcy and now he is suing for his 70 million to be returned, because he was given false information prior to the investment.  But it was an unsecured investment so he's probably lost it. That's a pile of cash in one year. 

Precisely the calculated risk Bergevin is acting on. Now maybe it doesn’t work, but given Dundon’s circumstances, worth the try.

Aho's agent today (via Godin, the Athletic

Aho’s agent doesn’t think the Hurricanes matching the Canadiens’ offer is a slam dunk to the same extent as everyone else thinks it is.

“I don’t think it is easy for Carolina,” Johannson said. “I can tell you for sure, it’s not easy for Carolina. Anybody who says this is easy is wrong. You can armchair quarterback any decision, but I can promise you this is an aggressive move … It’s a lot of money, and it’s a lot of front-loaded money.

“Who knows? Carolina is going to do what they’re going to do, but trust me, this is not an easy decision for them.”

A disclaimer here on the source. Johannson is not one of those agents who is constantly using the media to pull strings in public. In fact, he makes a concerted effort to avoid the spotlight. This is the context of his comments at this critical moment for his client.

“I think that Sebastian 100 percent wants to play in Montreal,” Johannson said. “He wouldn’t have signed an offer sheet if he didn’t want to play in Montreal.”

Also of note, Carolina just dropped 3.8 million on the buyout of Marleau.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Aho's agent today (via Godin, the Athletic

Aho’s agent doesn’t think the Hurricanes matching the Canadiens’ offer is a slam dunk to the same extent as everyone else thinks it is.

“I don’t think it is easy for Carolina,” Johannson said. “I can tell you for sure, it’s not easy for Carolina. Anybody who says this is easy is wrong. You can armchair quarterback any decision, but I can promise you this is an aggressive move … It’s a lot of money, and it’s a lot of front-loaded money.

“Who knows? Carolina is going to do what they’re going to do, but trust me, this is not an easy decision for them.”

A disclaimer here on the source. Johannson is not one of those agents who is constantly using the media to pull strings in public. In fact, he makes a concerted effort to avoid the spotlight. This is the context of his comments at this critical moment for his client.

“I think that Sebastian 100 percent wants to play in Montreal,” Johannson said. “He wouldn’t have signed an offer sheet if he didn’t want to play in Montreal.”

Also of note, Carolina just dropped 3.8 million on the buyout of Marleau.

The fact they were willing to pay Marleau for a draft choice and take on Reiner suggests to me they will bite the bullet and match. I hope I’m wrong and the offer sheet works,  but I think the actual salary is pretty close to what they would have settled for and because of that they’ll match.  Given the return they are getting it wouldn’t make sense for a new owner to take that return - especially given the fact they were willing to pay for an additional 1st round pick.

31 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The fact they were willing to pay Marleau for a draft choice and take on Reiner suggests to me they will bite the bullet and match. I hope I’m wrong and the offer sheet works,  but I think the actual salary is pretty close to what they would have settled for and because of that they’ll match.  Given the return they are getting it wouldn’t make sense for a new owner to take that return - especially given the fact they were willing to pay for an additional 1st round pick.

I agree. I would be thrilled if they didn't match but I would be shocked if they didn't match. I would love to be wrong as Aho would be a fabulous addition.

If Carolina declines to match, then this is a brilliant coup by Bergevin - enough to make me abandon my profound skepticism about him and conclude that maybe he has garnered a clue about how to build a winner from his eight years of failure. I mean, think about it:: he will have bagged an elite 21-year old C for a handful of picks, and successfully done so in the teeth of the consensus of the hockey world that it couldn't be done. It would be a masterstroke.

If Carolina does match, why, then this is just another one of his futile 'oh well, I tried, but the price was too high' moments :rolleyes: And zero will have been done to improve the team.Same old same old. 'Hey look over here! Just don't look at the actual results.'

We'll know within the week.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Salary is pretty close -- but it's bonus-heavy and only five years, neither of which Carolina was willing to do.

Really, if it's so close to what Carolina is willing to pay, why didn't they get a deal done with Aho before the end of June and avoid the RFA risk altogether? We don't actually know what they offered Aho.

I think this was a very good and thought out move by Bergevin and his team. I think he has learned/decided that he doesn't like nor want to massively overpay for players on July 1. Maybe the Alzner contract brought him to that place. 

I think they looked at what Aho was worth in terms of salary cap considerations over the next few years and draft picks and I think they figured that their offer was going to make it very difficult for Carolina's owner to pay out that much cash in the next year. So this becomes what CC just stated.....a brilliant move/steal or something that just didn't work. But I won't look down on Bergevin if Carolina matches. I think its a bold gutsy move. He's not thinking of his job or reputation, I think he's genuinely trying to do the right and best thing for his team.

I like MB's work and I think we should give him some time to see what else happens. He's swinging for not just a single but a triple or a homer. Good for him. No matter what he did he would be criticized.  I'm glad we didn't get Duchene. I hope we get Gardiner. But I love what he's trying to do here. Even Aho's agent said that this is a very difficult position for Carolina to be in. 

Whatever the outcome, I really like his plan and work. Well done MB.  

• Upvote 1

Here's a question: if Carolina decides not to match, can they announce that to make the offer sheet official, or do we have to wait for the 7 days to expire? 

20 minutes ago, REV-G said:

I think this was a very good and thought out move by Bergevin and his team. I think he has learned/decided that he doesn't like nor want to massively overpay for players on July 1. Maybe the Alzner contract brought him to that place. 

I think they looked at what Aho was worth in terms of salary cap considerations over the next few years and draft picks and I think they figured that their offer was going to make it very difficult for Carolina's owner to pay out that much cash in the next year. So this becomes what CC just stated.....a brilliant move/steal or something that just didn't work. But I won't look down on Bergevin if Carolina matches. I think its a bold gutsy move. He's not thinking of his job or reputation, I think he's genuinely trying to do the right and best thing for his team.

I like MB's work and I think we should give him some time to see what else happens. He's swinging for not just a single but a triple or a homer. Good for him. No matter what he did he would be criticized.  I'm glad we didn't get Duchene. I hope we get Gardiner. But I love what he's trying to do here. Even Aho's agent said that this is a very difficult position for Carolina to be in. 

Whatever the outcome, I really like his plan and work. Well done MB.  

I must say; whatever is broke in that clone machine, they shouldn't fix!!! MB 2.0 is a much ball-z-er 1 and I like that too!!! :)

14 minutes ago, illWill said:

Here's a question: if Carolina decides not to match, can they announce that to make the offer sheet official, or do we have to wait for the 7 days to expire? 

they have 7days, anywhere in there it can happen but they gonna take full 7 most likly  i think

14 minutes ago, illWill said:

As far as I know they could make an official announcement whenever they want (except past the due date). But they'll likely wait the entire week just to keep Bergevin tied up as long as possible.

I was quite impressed with Bergevin to make an offer sheet, until I saw he got cute with it to avoid overpaying on draft picks. 

Make that two firsts, a second, and a third, and Carolina is now asking themselves if those picks are a Price injury away from a Top 10 unprotected lottery pick. It's now their version of the Kessel trade, which was also almost an offer sheet. Instead it's about trying to take advantage of a small market with a new owner spending lots of money, but it's also a team that has over $2M in new ticket sales for next year. Had it been both? Carolina sweats.

Now they don't. Of course Waddell is acting like an idiot about it though. He's laughing about it and the Canes Twitter account is laughing about it. Aho and his agent got to hear Waddell say he expected a bigger offer, meaning he thought he was worth more in an offer sheet. Money he wasn't giving to Aho himself. That's not good. That could mean a poisoned relationship and a distracted season next year. Carolina doesn't need that. 

The way this might end up shaking out is Carolina matching, Aho unhappy, Canes season not being a happy place after the Cinderella run, and Aho getting dealt when the offer sheet trade restriction is lifted. Meanwhile the Habs could have paid more and got him now and Bergevin got too conservative to not shake the boat. And now he has to wait a week to hear no. 

28 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I was quite impressed with Bergevin to make an offer sheet, until I saw he got cute with it to avoid overpaying on draft picks. 

Make that two firsts, a second, and a third, and Carolina is now asking themselves if those picks are a Price injury away from a Top 10 unprotected lottery pick. It's now their version of the Kessel trade, which was also almost an offer sheet. Instead it's about trying to take advantage of a small market with a new owner spending lots of money, but it's also a team that has over $2M in new ticket sales for next year. Had it been both? Carolina sweats.

Now they don't. Of course Waddell is acting like an idiot about it though. He's laughing about it and the Canes Twitter account is laughing about it. Aho and his agent got to hear Waddell say he expected a bigger offer, meaning he thought he was worth more in an offer sheet. Money he wasn't giving to Aho himself. That's not good. That could mean a poisoned relationship and a distracted season next year. Carolina doesn't need that. 

The way this might end up shaking out is Carolina matching, Aho unhappy, Canes season not being a happy place after the Cinderella run, and Aho getting dealt when the offer sheet trade restriction is lifted. Meanwhile the Habs could have paid more and got him now and Bergevin got too conservative to not shake the boat. And now he has to wait a week to hear no. 

good he got "cute"I want MB going out of box. He is a much better GM when he does IMHO.

Waddell is tring to buy time so he can get something to offer Aho or build a back door for future trades with other GM, well if he is smart a bit. Didn't Quinn loose his mind with Penner and became the lucifer of a future EDM trades untill he left the league?

MB can still call Waddell and make a trade for Aho no? I think MB should call Waddell and offer a trade to him. Make Wadddell a counter to the sheet where he can a roster player maybe instead of only getting picks.

What about that?

I was the one asking for MB to take a collections/customer service 101 a while back to bring up his GM game

Is Aho worth 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third round pick, AND taking up 9-10 million in cap space? Honest question. That's a heavy price to pay no matter which way you look at it. Remember the majority of us didn't want to spend that on Duchene and that is without losing the draft picks. Most of the reasoning being that we want to be able to afford our own players when their contract is up. Why is Aho so special we should sell the farm for him? This offer sheet by Bergevin is conservative in both AAV and draft pick compensation, but flexes the power of the Canadiens money. If this works it will be a brilliant move, if it doesn't, no harm done. 

• Like 1