Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

Additional complication for the Canes is that Dundon only owns 61%. Peter Karmanos (who is also not known as a big spender) still owns 39%. Can Dundon convince Karmanos to put in more money, or would he have to do it all himself, to the benefit of Karmanos?

ä
ä

Aho accepted this deal. I think an offer sheet should be a borderline tough deal for the team matching. Not one that is so impossible for them to match that the team that offered the contract will get them 100%. In the last case your team becomes the one who grossly overpaid for a player because it was so “obvious” the other team would not match. 

The simple fact that we got Aho to sign is a good move on its own. If he doesn’t sign, we only “lose” out on some available free agents who we may not have signed anyway. I’m expecting that if there really is someone we had a chance at, or someone we are really interested in signing, we would have/will still pursue them regardless of this deal.

I’m one who thinks that Carolina will also match. The bottom line is that we got Aho to accept this deal, though. Not that we should have signed him for more than he was willing to accept.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ehjay said:

MB can still call Waddell and make a trade for Aho no? I think MB should call Waddell and offer a trade to him. Make Wadddell a counter to the sheet where he can a roster player maybe instead of only getting picks.

What about that? I was the one asking for MB to take a collections/customer service 101 a while back to bring up his GM game

Yes and no. Cannot do a trade for Aho: that's expressly forbidden in the CBA.

But Bergevin could do a separate side deal, and trade a roster player or two (or a recent draft pick) and get back some of the picks we'd be paying for Aho, in exchange for the Canes not matching.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes and no. Cannot do a trade for Aho: that's expressly forbidden in the CBA.

But Bergevin could do a separate side deal, and trade a roster player or two (or a recent draft pick) and get back some of the picks we'd be paying for Aho, in exchange for the Canes not matching.

YOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Now then MB would have 2 Paires!!!! Fe Real!!!!! Imagine the message other GM would get from that POWER move!!!! shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii**************************!!!!

get the 1st backfor the draft next year, whaaaaaattttttttt!!!!!! :o

14 minutes ago, illWill said:

Is Aho worth 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third round pick, AND taking up 9-10 million in cap space? Honest question. That's a heavy price to pay no matter which way you look at it. Remember the majority of us didn't want to spend that on Duchene and that is without losing the draft picks. Most of the reasoning being that we want to be able to afford our own players when their contract is up. Why is Aho so special we should sell the farm for him? This offer sheet by Bergevin is conservative in both AAV and draft pick compensation, but flexes the power of the Canadiens money. If this works it will be a brilliant move, if it doesn't, no harm done. 

Is he worth it? Maybe.

He's like getting Saku Koivu all over again without the early injury while not having to put the weight of the franchise on him because you got Kotkaniemi who will also be at centre. 

If he really likes Montreal then the five years isn't a death pill like it might be in Carolina. Also five years is the window for getting the last juice out of Price and Weber. You don't have a lot of time to dilly dally and hope for the best. 

You also have to gamble if you want something great. Carolina doesn't do it if they don't think it works in their favour. Colorado doesn't give up Barrie at a 50% discount if they don't believe Kadri solidifies their centre position with a roster of elite wingers. Gotta pay to play the game.

The problem is Bergevin needed a Weber level poison pill to make Carolina sweat and instead he just made a public showing and is hoping Aho's agent does the rest of the work. If it works for him? Full credit. But it would take Carolina pulling a 180 on this.

34 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

Dundon just confirmed to Pierre Lebrun that the Canes will match the offer sheet.  That was fun while it lasted... 

That's all right. The attempt was the right thing to do. And I look forward to signing Aho as a UFA in 2024.

One other thing to consider. 

Even matched, the Habs have messed with the Hurricanes internal budget.  Don't be surprised if they trade someone else.   Thats a team you were competing for a playoff spot with in the final week of the season. 

If you offer sheet Point, you mess with Tampa's cap situation, weakening a divisional opponent. 

There is no downside to these moves even if you don't get the player, you've messed with a rival. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kaos said:

Agos agent manipulated Bergevin into that offer sheet. Genius!!!

Yeah he knew they would match and now his client will hit free agency at a great age something hurricanes didn't want to happen.

19 minutes ago, huzer said:

The Canes "intend" to match, most likely will, so let's move on to another Finnish player...Rantanen! Laine! 

Probably best to move to another Mason/Armia type deal.

I still say #### with Tampa's Cap (Point) and then the Leafs (Marner). 

use the offer sheet as a weapon. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I still say #### with Tampa's Cap (Point) and then the Leafs (Marner). 

use the offer sheet as a weapon. 

I'd call  Philly and make them an ultimatum.

Trade us  Gost for cheap or we're offersheeting Provorov.

But Philly have some cap space now. Maybe it would be pointless.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I'd call  Philly and make them an ultimatum.

Trade us  Gost for cheap or we're offersheeting Provorov.

But Philly have some cap space now. Maybe it would be pointless.

Sure, hit all the conference rivals.

17 minutes ago, Metallica said:

So what's the over/under on us getting booed first game we play in Carolina ?

As long as we kick their a$$ I really don't care.

18 minutes ago, Metallica said:

So what's the over/under on us getting booed first game we play in Carolina ?

It would be awesome if our first game of the season was in Carolina..........................

Would exact same contract offer to Point be enough to get him to sign and cause Tampa much grief? Or would it be worth the extra picks to make a $9-9.5m offer?

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Would exact same contract offer to Point be enough to get him to sign and cause Tampa much grief? Or would it be worth the extra picks to make a $9-9.5m offer?

Go to the 10.4 offer and that causes them the cap grief.  Tampa doesn't seem as strapped for money, but they are strapped on cap space.