Habs sign Sebastian Aho to offer sheet

dlbalr

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Sounds more work than I was expecting, you are probably closer to what should happen

I still dream that Carey gets hot, Weber plays like a man on a mission and Drouin scores 40 in a second line with Kotka

Yeah and I’m dreaming that I win the lotto super max tonight - but won’t be holding my breath for either of these dreams being realized.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah and I’m dreaming that I win the lotto super max tonight - but won’t be holding my breath for either of these dreams being realized.

Yeap, agreed. It is highly improbable

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.tsn.ca/carolina-hurricanes-gm-don-waddell-decision-to-match-aho-offer-sheet-was-made-within-two-minutes-1.1343565. I guess this is proof that MB, can't even put together an offer sheet that is a challenge to a team.  All he did was play with fans emotions for a few hours, to create a buzz that he wants to improve the team, when all he was doing was proving he is a joke for a GM. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/carolina-hurricanes-gm-don-waddell-decision-to-match-aho-offer-sheet-was-made-within-two-minutes-1.1343565. I guess this is proof that MB, can't even put together an offer sheet that is a challenge to a team.  All he did was play with fans emotions for a few hours, to create a buzz that he wants to improve the team, when all he was doing was proving he is a joke for a GM. 

Go have a nap, dude.

47 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

• Upvote 1

In terms of the Habs' moves so far - not just the Aho farce - this seems like a fair analysis:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/analysis/2019/7/13/20686892/montreal-canadiens-front-office-made-quite-few-moves-this-off-season-but-will-they-pay-off-analysis

I guess the folks who are Jim Dandy with the Bergevin regime trust that we will receive considerable improvement from within, as guys like KoKo and Meat (and even Drouin) have more experience, and we can add a Poehling or Suzuki to the mix. (They also assume, I guess, that these rookies will fit right in and have strong overall seasons; that there will be no "sophomore slump" from KoKo; etc.; in other words, that everything with our young players will go right). Therefore, it's perfectly OK that the summer moves were classic Bergevin, i.e., "lateral" moves that leave the team no better than it was before.

For the grouchier types like myself, it's all a bit head-scratching. Isn't the whole point to improve the team - ? Why is standing pat OK when your team missed the dance last year?

I don't really get the complacency. Here we have a GM who has not made a failed team discernably better (at least so far). And the fans are happy as clams. :huh: I wonder if the hyperbole of some of MB's critics ("worst GM since Milbury" etc.) has not pushed others into excessive optimism about his merits.

• Like 1

Is the offseason over?

Didnt a team just make a trade today?

Didnt we make a trade in mid-September last year?

Is jake gardiner signed with someone, anyone?  Mitch Marner? Patrick Laine? Kyle Connor?

Is preseason over? Who made the team?  Who didnt?

Let's wait til october before we make pronouncements about what the front office did or didnt do.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Is the offseason over?

Didnt a team just make a trade today?

Didnt we make a trade in mid-September last year?

Is jake gardiner signed with someone, anyone?  Mitch Marner? Patrick Laine? Kyle Connor?

Is preseason over? Who made the team?  Who didnt?

Let's wait til october before we make pronouncements about what the front office did or didnt do.

Sure, I agree - the offseason isn't over. But if the appropriate response to what we've seen so far probably should not be panic and hysteria, nor should it be complacency, let alone praise for Bergevin (whose track record does little to inspire confidence). Instead it should probably be a degree of unease or restlessness: when/how is he going to make this team better?? So far, crickets...and let's keep in mind what a lot of folks on this site seem to forget, which is that the status quo (a non-playoff team) is utterly unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

I think Kinkaid is an upgrade on what we saw with Niemi last year. 

I think Chiarot is better than Jordie Benn. 

They lost Shaw.

They have Weber from the start of the season instead of December.

Is that a team not being better... and yes they were a non-playoff team... two points out of a playoff spot and tied for the highest points total ever in a season that didn't make the playoffs. 

It wouldn't take a big improvement to be a playoff team.  Consider we jumped from fourth worst in the league to 98 points in one year based on only a couple of changes. 

• Upvote 1

I think what is happening is MB is waiting it out similar to the Max Pac deal last year. He wants to see where things fall in regards to a deal potentially to be made. We know a rumour is around Winnipeg with Laine and I’m sure there are other offers in the oven.

What needs to be considered is the roster players the Habs currently have. Do they consider Mete to have higher upside to what he’s shown. He was after all considered an untouchable a year or so ago after the world juniors. He showed great things down the stretch next to Weber and you figure he will only be getting better. And what about Poehling and Suzuki? I think management definitely want to leave room for these two should they show they have what it takes to be in the NHL and in Poehling case he already has.

Management probably want to make a move but I think they are hesitant because there solution could be guys they have banging on the door next year, you never know.