2019 Rocket/Mariners Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Here's an overview of how Laval's roster looks so far - we'll use this thread for any roster (or affiliation) news.

Confirmed Newcomers

F Riley Barber (Hershey, AHL)

F Joe Cox (Florida, ECHL - had spent time in Laval last season but was released)

D Otto Leskinen (KalPa, SM-liiga)

F William Pelletier (Rockford, AHL)

F Ryan Poehling (St. Cloud, NCAA)

G Cayden Primeau (Northeastern, NCAA)

F Nick Suzuki (Guelph, OHL)

F Joel Teasdale (Rouyn-Noranda, QMJHL)

F Phil Varone (Philadelphia, NHL)

Confirmed Departures

F Daniel Audette (non-tendered)

D Brett Lernout (Vegas)

F Hunter Shinkaruk (non-tendered)

AHL Free Agents

F Thomas Ebbing

F Alexandre Grenier

F Phillipe Hudon

F Alex Kile

G Etienne Marcoux

F Phelix Martineau

F Marc-Olivier Roy

F Matthew Struthers

Question Marks

F Charles Hudon* (V-) (would they risk waiving him this time?)

D Noah Juulsen (full-time in Montreal?)

G Charlie Lindgren* (would he make it through waivers?)

F Matthew Peca* (V-) (would he make it through waivers?)

(Given the uncertainty, these players are not included in the lines below.)

Projected Lineup

Belzile - Varone* (V) - Barber*

Teasdale - Poehling - Suzuki

Alain - Evans - Vejdemo

Jevpalovs - McCarron* - Weise* (V)

Reserves: Pelletier, Verbeek, Waked

ECHL: Adams-Moisan, Cox, Pezzetta

Ouellet* (V) - Fleury

Alzner* (V) - Brook

Leskinen - Olofsson*

Reserve: Lamarche, Sklenicka

ECHL: Culkin

McNiven

Primeau (yes, he could start as the backup)

ECHL: LaCouvee

Notes

(*) - Must clear waivers to get to the minors

(E) - European Assignment Clause

(V) - Veteran, minimum 320 pro GP (AHL, NHL, European Pro) as of the end of 2017-18 [Max of 5 skaters in this category can dress per game]
(V-) - Veteran, between 260-319 pro GP [An additional 1 skater in this category can be classed as a development player; more than 1 can play if the max veterans aren't dressed]

Qualifying leagues towards the veteran GP calculation: NHL, AHL, NLA, Czech Extraliga, Slovak Extraliga, KHL, SHL, SM-liiga, and DEL.  Only regular season games count towards the calculation.

• dlbalr pinned this topic

Your leaning towards Suzuki-Poehling both starting in Laval?

I kinda think Poehling will get every chance to open the season with Habs (barring adding a NHL centre) and do the nine game audition.

Suzuki said Habs would like him to try and play centre and Laval seems like best place for that test.

22 hours ago, DON said:

Your leaning towards Suzuki-Poehling both starting in Laval?

I kinda think Poehling will get every chance to open the season with Habs (barring adding a NHL centre) and do the nine game audition.

Suzuki said Habs would like him to try and play centre and Laval seems like best place for that test.

Unless Poehling's in the top-nine in Montreal to start the season, it makes no sense to start him with the Habs.  For that to happen, they'd have to shift Domi back to the wing and considering the year he had as a centre, they may be hesitant to do that.

The nine-game thing doesn't come into effect for Poehling as he's already 20. 

As for Suzuki, he was originally 2C on this until the Varone signing.  It's possible that they shift Varone to the wing to keep Suzuki down the middle.

6 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

We have an official ECHL affiliate with the Maine Mariners? Must of missed that news. 

Not an official one but the Habs have a working agreement with them to send some players there.  There were eight players last season that spent time between the two teams.  I anticipate that will continue until they find out whether they're going to get the ECHL team in Trois-Rivieres.  The arena's being built but a QMJHL team is still a possibility as well.  Trois-Rivieres is their Plan A long-term though so they'll go the short-term unofficial affiliation for now.

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

LeCouvee was also signed to an AHL/ECHL two way deal.  we have too many goalies. 

I think this is a good problem, as long as it's managed right. Assuming Kinkaid works out, we'll have an opening next to Price in two years' time, and I think that's a fairly realistic timeframe for one of our goalie prospects to be ready.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think this is a good problem, as long as it's managed right. Assuming Kinkaid works out, we'll have an opening next to Price in two years' time, and I think that's a fairly realistic timeframe for one of our goalie prospects to be ready.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindgren traded.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindgren traded.

The more I think about it, the more I would be surprised that he gets moved.  If I'm a team needing a backup, I'd just sit back and wait for Pittsburgh and Winnipeg to waive Tristan Jarry and Eric Comrie and just pluck one of those two up.  Neither team can afford to carry three goalies due to their cap situation so they have little leverage - it's not if they're going to waive them, it's when.  (Or if they really like Lindgren more than those two, pluck him off waivers when the time comes as the Habs will be going 14/7 or 13/8 and won't be carrying three goalies either.)

At this point, someone like McNiven (waiver exempt for a couple more years) probably has more trade value than Lindgren even though his first two professional seasons haven't gone all that well.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The more I think about it, the more I would be surprised that he gets moved.  If I'm a team needing a backup, I'd just sit back and wait for Pittsburgh and Winnipeg to waive Tristan Jarry and Eric Comrie and just pluck one of those two up.  Neither team can afford to carry three goalies due to their cap situation so they have little leverage - it's not if they're going to waive them, it's when.  (Or if they really like Lindgren more than those two, pluck him off waivers when the time comes as the Habs will be going 14/7 or 13/8 and won't be carrying three goalies either.)

At this point, someone like McNiven (waiver exempt for a couple more years) probably has more trade value than Lindgren even though his first two professional seasons haven't gone all that well.

I'm not expecting him to be a centrepiece of any deal... but a throw in with one of the extra forwards and/or hudon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The training camp invites:

Forwards André Bouvet-Morrissette (Sorel-Tracy – LNAH) , Cody Milan (Michigan State University –  NCAA) and Michael McNicholas (Maine – ECHL, Manglerud – Norway), as well as defencemen Gabriel Sylvestre (Moncton –  QMJHL), Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin (Wichita –  ECHL) and Jonathan Racine (Brampton – ECHL, Belleville – AHL) have been invited to training camp on a professional tryout.

This one's a bit more interesting of an invite:

He was injured all of last year but had 26 points in 57 games the year before with Syracuse and is well short of veteran status.  These are the types of players they need on AHL/ECHL two-way deals to give them some depth for injuries/recalls.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic