The athletic

BCHabnut

The Athletic is awesome. Yes, it's subscription, but someone's got to pay for journalism. The newspapers are posting the same AP stories or doing small snippets to get ad revenues, in-depth daily coverage is sadly lacking.

The Athletic will do 2-3 longer stories (by different writers) on every Habs game, plus in-depth stories on a variety of topics. Not every story is great but there are so many good ones that it's easily worth the dollar-and-a-bit per week that it costs. I think they still have a one-month (or was it one week?) trial -- try it out and see for yourself. I think you will be impressed.

I debated signing up then took the plunge during a Black Friday sale.  It is worth it, even at full price ( I am over 1 1/2 years subscribing now).  As someone said the daily coverage is very good, similar to what the Gazette used to be durng the hay days of the Habs (1950's through 1970's)

I used to be a faithful Hockey News subscriber for many years but found I did not read much of the non-Habs stories so it felt like a waste.  With the Athletic, if you follow a team in another major sport then they have beat writers covering them. So you get more value from it in my opinion.

I signed up last week, and am loving it so far.  Despite it being a quiet time of year, I'm impressed with the quantity and quality of the articles.

11 hours ago, habscout said:

As someone said the daily coverage is very good, similar to what the Gazette used to be durng the hay days of the Habs (1950's through 1970's)

I said something like this on the Athletic site the other day and I might have mentioned it on here in a rant against that no talent hack Brendon Kelly whose every word as a Gazette “sports writer” is an insult to the memory of Red Fischer and the journalistic integrity of what used to be a great paper. 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...