CHIAROT signed

Barring further expert insight, this looks like a classic patchwork job, I.e., a typical let’s-get-by-with-good-enough move by an organization thoroughly devoted to ‘good enough’ rather than excellence. At most this buys MB more time to properly fix the D. Based on his track record I wouldn’t hold my breath

44 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This should work just as well as the last time Bergevin signed a left defenceman long term on free agency.

To be fair this isn’t one tenth as bad as the Alzner signing haha.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Barring further expert insight, this looks like a classic patchwork job, I.e., a typical let’s-get-by-with-good-enough move by an organization thoroughly devoted to ‘good enough’ rather than excellence. At most this buys MB more time to properly fix the D. Based on his track record I wouldn’t hold my breath

I agree though, wildly underwhelming.

Sigh.  I guess we'll have to hope we can get a 1st pairing LD via trade, cuz this sure isn't it.  I can't say that I know much about Chiarot, but most seem to think he'll complement Petry quite well, and is an upgrade on Benn.

But, we need more than an upgrade on Benn FFS!

• Upvote 1

Background from article December 2014 and Chariot junior roots and pro beginnings:

https://jetsnation.ca/2014/12/15/defying-the-odds-the-chiarot-chronicles/

From above article quote :

".....

Chiarot has NHL size and he knows how to use it to his advantage, something that’s a real big plus to be a successful NHL player. He’s your typical shutdown defender and while he is on pace to score 19 assists, his expected NHL output should be limited to his defensive abilities and any offense is considered a bonus.

Think of Ladislav Smid without the odd defensive lapse. He’s a tough kid...."

There you go...

13 minutes ago, mineral said:

Is this guy a 2nd or 3rd pair player? He certainly got a nice raise for 4 days into free agency.

Maybe a second pair on our D. Unless we also pick up Gardiner or Gostisbehere.

Chiarot isnt bad but hes not great.  

He played second pair last year with Byfuglien.  Sound defensively and can shoot.

Hes a bit of a an upgrade on Jordie Benn.  But not a huge one.

Will they want him with Petry or leave kulak there and have chiarot as the experienced defensive d with rookie juulsen

That said still a bit underwhelming

39 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

So Montreal still has cap space. Do we think this is it?

Looking at the past 6 years and the last 2 years with cap space yeah this is it.

Or get creative again and pick up a contract a team at cap limit or to clear cap space, and get a draft pick and or prospect.  ( much like Mason / Armia last year )..

Use it to your advantage if there is an opportunity!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Looking at the past 6 years and the last 2 years with cap space yeah this is it.

Its July 4th. 

The Habs made a huge trade in September of last year.  

The off-season is not over. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Chiarot isnt bad but hes not great.  

He played second pair last year with Byfuglien.  Sound defensively and can shoot.

Hes a bit of a an upgrade on Jordie Benn.  But not a huge one.

Will they want him with Petry or leave kulak there and have chiarot as the experienced defensive d with rookie juulsen

That said still a bit underwhelming

I mentioned this in another thread, but some analysts including Ray Ferraro on tsn radio yesterday have said that they think that Chariot is underrated. I hope they are right. I also hope we DO NOT sign Gardiner for 7years

Why did this guy get a 2 million dollar raise from last year. He's jordie Benn. 

I want so badly to be positive, but I just cannot do it. This constant patch work on this D-Corp is a joke.

This signing is basically a guarantee that Gardiner won't be signing here. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I want so badly to be positive, but I just cannot do it. This constant patch work on this D-Corp is a joke.

He played top 4 minutes (5th on his team in average ice time, but Byfuglien missed 40 games, Morrisey another 23 games, Myere 2 games..... and he was the one filling in for them.  He proved he can play top 4 minutes and not hurt the team as the Jets were 1 point out of winning their division. 

He scored 5 goals. 

He got paid tweener money... he's a bottom tier guy if he's your 2nd pairing D, he's a top tier guy if he's amongst third pairing d men.  It depends where he's played. 

That said I get it, the off-season so far is underwhelming. 

That said the Habs went to September 10th last year before pulling off one of their biggest trades in years (and probably Bergevin's second biggest trade ever). So the offseason isn't over.

Habs Have 8 mill on capfriendly now (25 man roster, plus Armia/lehkonen to sign will make 27... hudon would make 28)

A little over 12.5 million, with Armia and Lehkonen to sign, and Weise, Alzner, Peca, and Lindgren to the minors (saves almost 4 million). Hudon likely traded. And if we acquire one more player, that means one more out (anoter million) to get roster to 23.

35 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

As I understand it, he is faster, meaner and more physical than Benn.

His signing does not preclude Gardiner anymore than Benn re-signing would have.

A 7 year term might keep Montreal from signing Gardiner. If he signs elsewhere at a shorter term, I will be pissed

I'm sure he's a solid #5 and will do good work for us.

The real problem is that the Habs need puck-moving LD, not stay-at-home LD who are lucky to crack 20 points. This is best framed as a modest upgrade on Benn, NOT as a solution to the structural hole on LD. The big chasm remains.