CHIAROT signed

56 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But eight is a lot, will we play someone on the off wing, or should we expect to lose someone to waivers?

I'd say neither.  Reilly could play on his off side or he could be the #7 like he was last season.  Olofsson, Ouellet, and Alzner all cleared waivers last season and probably will again.  (Olofsson might have an outside chance at getting claimed but considering he missed all of last year, it's hard to imagine it happens.)

26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd say neither.  Reilly could play on his off side or he could be the #7 like he was last season.  Olofsson, Ouellet, and Alzner all cleared waivers last season and probably will again.  (Olofsson might have an outside chance at getting claimed but considering he missed all of last year, it's hard to imagine it happens.)

Hopefully one of the O's (Olofsson, Otto and Ouellet) will impress at Laval and claim a place in the 2020-21 Habs lineup. (No, the last one on the list isn't very likely.)

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Exactly what I'm saying.

Red = not today's NHL level players IMO

Blue = minimum required in today's NHL level

Better than blue  are the  Subban, Karlsson, Seth Jones, Klingberg, Letang, etc.

I don't want to see  red on our Def Squad anymore.  Not even our 7th dman.

I disagree, without the balance you are up s**ts creek and the boat is sinking. Imagine how disastrous a pairing of Karlsson and Klingberg could be against lines like Stamkos/Kucherov, Ovi/Backstrom, or McDavid/Draisatl every shift. You need the offensive driving guys in your pairings, no doubt, but you also need the insulating, defensive minded guys who can break the puck out efficiently and win the battles down low on the pairings too, because the offensive minded guys certainly aren't going to do that for you.

It is a balance, both roles are essential, each pairing should be balanced with some of each, complimenting each other well. Beyond that you have to evaluate it player vs player, not style vs style. Like I said, a pairing of Karlsson and Klingberg would have just as many pros and cons as a pairing of Weber and Vlasic. Swap them around to create balance with Weber and Karlsson, or Vlasic and Klingberg, suddenly the pairings pros increase and their cons decrease. Which is better or more important? Ultimately whichever style is lacking on any particular team's D that doesn't allow them to have proper balance.

Nothing to get overly excited about here but from what I understand, the Habs have not yet registered this deal (or the one for Cousins) with the NHL yet.  All that does is give them a little bit more room to work with if something were to come about in the next couple of days before Aho's offer sheet is officially matched.

On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 10:54 PM, Link67 said:

I disagree, without the balance you are up s**ts creek and the boat is sinking. Imagine how disastrous a pairing of Karlsson and Klingberg could be against lines like Stamkos/Kucherov, Ovi/Backstrom, or McDavid/Draisatl every shift. You need the offensive driving guys in your pairings, no doubt, but you also need the insulating, defensive minded guys who can break the puck out efficiently and win the battles down low on the pairings too, because the offensive minded guys certainly aren't going to do that for you.

It is a balance, both roles are essential, each pairing should be balanced with some of each, complimenting each other well. Beyond that you have to evaluate it player vs player, not style vs style. Like I said, a pairing of Karlsson and Klingberg would have just as many pros and cons as a pairing of Weber and Vlasic. Swap them around to create balance with Weber and Karlsson, or Vlasic and Klingberg, suddenly the pairings pros increase and their cons decrease. Which is better or more important? Ultimately whichever style is lacking on any particular team's D that doesn't allow them to have proper balance.

I believe that you are missing my point.

I was using your quote as to where I'm drawing the line about what I'd like on our dsquad.

On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 4:05 PM, JoeLassister said:

Some guys will be hard on the puck, win their battles and chip it off the boards playing the whole game almost like its a PK, very rarely making a heads up play out of his zone. Some guys will go win their battles, and before they even reach their blue line, make a heads up play of passing the puck to a team mate with high efficiency and low risk. The latter category is where guys like Weber and Chariot fall into, they don't drive offense, but they are very efficient on their half of the ice, and their good first pass allows them to support a healthy transition game.

I'm just saying that I don't want any dman in the red category.

Each and every one of them should be the blue category (like Chiarot and Weber)  or  above.  At the  MINIMUM, they are able to skate a little bit and drive some offense when it's appropriate.

Basically, no more Jordie Benn. (sorry Jordie)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Basically, no more Jordie Benn. (sorry Jordie)

Like Benn's; $1.1m/yr contract's are needed these days for bottom forwards/d-men and those wont be many 3rd pairing quick reliable puck moving d-men making league minimum.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Like Benn's; $1.1m/yr contract's are needed these days for bottom forwards/d-men and those wont be many 3rd pairing quick reliable puck moving d-men making league minimum.

Should be able to keep a top 6 that includes  3 great dmen that make more money  +  couple Kulak's or Rielly at  1M$-2M$ + one good dman on ELC.

I'm no GM, but in todays NHL, that would be one of my top priorities (if not my #1 priority).

• Upvote 1