Habs sign Nick Cousins

Meller93

3 hours ago, ehjay said:

why is this signing making me think of the Knicks?

right!!! BOOOOOGIE!! :rofl:

Do the Knicks have any cap space left beyond the BAE?  (Do they have any MLE space after their signing spree of lesser players?)  It's looking like his market is even less than last year.

1 hour ago, John B said:

I can see this move as being a "just in case move" they decide to walk away from the one of the arbitration rulings.  I can see the Habs not even bothering with Hudon and maybe even Armia (depending on how much he gets).  I think they want to keep Lehkonen. 

There's a minimum salary a player has to be awarded for a team to have walk away rights.  It changes each year so I don't know the exact number (I think it's around the $4M range now) so it's unlikely that any of Montreal's RFAs will actually get over that amount.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't mind the signing.  I have no idea where he fits in but he's a useful player at a reasonable price.

Exactly how I feel 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

There's a minimum salary a player has to be awarded for a team to have walk away rights.  It changes each year so I don't know the exact number (I think it's around the $4M range now) so it's unlikely that any of Montreal's RFAs will actually get over that amount.

$4,397,832 for 2019. I agree that none of our RFAs will get that much.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't mind the signing.  I have no idea where he fits in but he's a useful player at a reasonable price.

I doubt anyone would disagree. It’s more the wider lack of major upgrades that makes people a bit grumpy. That’s no reflection on Cousins, though.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Laval is going to have depth this season if for no other reason than Bergevin thinks his bottom 3 is a bottom 6.

Based on Julien's preferences I guess we can write Cousins, Thompson, Weal in pen for the 4th line, but the 13th forward is going to be a competition between Peca, Weise, Hudon, and Varone on who he hates the least on the final day of training camp. 

Not even gonna be shocked if it's Weise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Metallica said:

We say this always with these types of move's Bergevin make's , but nothing else ever follow's. So don't hold your breath on this being any different.

There are many things to criticize Bergevin on but being unwilling to make trades is not one of them.

He makes as many trades in terms of quantity as any gm in the nhl.

And you can say they are all minor moves, but that isnt true either 

Subban, galchenyuk, drouin, cole, petry, pacioretty, danault, shaw (twice), eller, hes made a number of deals that have had significant effects on the team.

His free agency record may not be the best but is that doesnt mean he hasnt tried to get jn on guys either.  In the last 20 years we have signed what in terms of big name ufas.  There was the cammalleri/gionta summer... there was hamrlik... there was erik cole... but there js mostly swing and misses.

Look, im critical of bergevin too... but we have to be critical about the right things.

If we are saying hes afraid to make moves.  Hes afraid to take a risk.  Hes afraid to try things. He sits on his hands and the big move never comes.  Yeah thats not accurate 

If you want to criticize that he doesnt get the right players.  That he didnt address centre for years.  That he isnt getting the LD we need.  That alzner and chiarot have been bad attemots to fix that hole.  Have at it.   But Im not going to agree with your premise that he isnt making moves at all.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was going to say. Only a few days ago we all went breathless when Shaw was traded because it was "obviously" about "clearing cap space for a big move."

And instead:

:tumbleweed:

Aho was an attempt at a big move.

Like i said.  The idea that there is no activity isnt exactly true.

I also dont think a 1 million signing means a "big move"... but i think a trade is coming.  I expect to see some bottom 6 guys moved out.

15 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I doubt anyone would disagree. It’s more the wider lack of major upgrades that makes people a bit grumpy. That’s no reflection on Cousins, though.

But, there is nothing can do about fans unrealistic expectations. Whenever a trade deadline or July 1st comes and goes and Habs dont make a big splash, some (many) always get pissed.

2 summers ago, many had good right to be upset at horrible trade deadline and off-season in general, last summer totally different story.

But, Bergevin did clear room for; 1st choice seems was an offer sheet to one 90+ point kid in Point and then 2nd option was 80+ point kid in Oho. So it isnt like he is sitting back and not trying to make a major upgrade.

25 minutes ago, DON said:

But, there is nothing can do about fans unrealistic expectations. Whenever a trade deadline or July 1st comes and goes and Habs dont make a big splash, some (many) always get pissed.

2 summers ago, many had good right to be upset at horrible trade deadline and off-season in general, last summer totally different story.

But, Bergevin did clear room for; 1st choice seems was an offer sheet to one 90+ point kid in Point and then 2nd option was 80+ point kid in Oho. So it isnt like he is sitting back and not trying to make a major upgrade.

I don't care what he's 'trying.' I'm only interested in results. 

That said, summer's not over. It's premature to declare his summer a categorical failure.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't care what he's 'trying.' I'm only interested in results. 

That said, summer's not over. It's premature to declare his summer a categorical failure.

i think was all of 2 signed offer sheets in last 12 years and like Oho the home team paid up on those as well. Of 31GMs, who else took the risk to screw with another teams contract negotiations, when all know it should be a more common occurrence and in the end cost to Habs was zero, as was offer to Point.

Results were, a team that was supposed to suck, played 70+ very entertaining games.

Now, have several quality prospects turning pro, 21 picks in last 2 years and 12 more for next year.

A healthy Weber to start the season will help the results also.

SO, even if do nothing else prior to Oct, calling it a categorical failure would be a bit much wouldnt you say.

45 minutes ago, DON said:

i think was all of 2 signed offer sheets in last 12 years and like Oho the home team paid up on those as well. Of 31GMs, who else took the risk to screw with another teams contract negotiations, when all know it should be a more common occurrence and in the end cost to Habs was zero, as was offer to Point.

Results were, a team that was supposed to suck, played 70+ very entertaining games.

Now, have several quality prospects turning pro, 21 picks in last 2 years and 12 more for next year.

A healthy Weber to start the season will help the results also.

SO, even if do nothing else prior to Oct, calling it a categorical failure would be a bit much wouldnt you say.

The summer will be a failure if MB does nothing to significantly improve the team. The end.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The summer will be a failure if MB does nothing to significantly improve the team. The end.

Yes -- but summer is not officially over until 21 September! :D

yea, first time in a long time that i can remember. 

No reason to sell that off for help today. 

They had close to 100 points last year,  the shaw trade will hurt them, maybe suzuki and poehling can step up

On 2019-07-06 at 2:18 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think this team is already better then last year. Chariot is an upgrade on Benn. Shaw is out and if Poehling or Suzuki merit a spot we are looking good for the future with a young team and a healthy cap.

We do have to many signed for next year... here’s hoping he puts a 3 player package together  coupled with picks for someone substantial.

I just posting the same in another thread. I agree that MB's shopping for the summer is probably done, and that he will probably wait for the cap-crunch at the end of training camp to land the players he is missing: probably through a trade.

I am curious to see how cousins fits-in. He may make Lekhonen available for a trade

• Like 1

There are still teams out there with RFAs and cap crunches. 

Vegas is over the cap with only 20 players on the roster. 

How are the Rangers going to fit everyone under their cap... 8 million in space and Trouba, Lemieux, Buchnevich, and DeAngelo need to be signed.  Trouba alone is gonna cost over 6 million. 

Chicago has a million in space but needs 2 more players. 

Toronto and Tampa likely have to clear space for Marner and Point. 

Florida has 5.4 million in space but only 17 players. 

Washington has 4.2 million but needs to sign Djoos and Vrana, and that would put them at 22. 

Vancouver seems ok to me... 5.5 miiion... 27 on the roster (so add 5 million) and only Boeser and Goldobin to sign... but we have reports in the Vancouver paper yesterday that they want to clear space. 

San Jose is tight to the cap too. 

As arbitration dates get closer and these RFAs get contracts there will be more pressure on teams to make trades. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

There are still teams out there with RFAs and cap crunches. 

Vegas is over the cap with only 20 players on the roster. 

How are the Rangers going to fit everyone under their cap... 8 million in space and Trouba, Lemieux, Buchnevich, and DeAngelo need to be signed.  Trouba alone is gonna cost over 6 million. 

Chicago has a million in space but needs 2 more players. 

Toronto and Tampa likely have to clear space for Marner and Point. 

Florida has 5.4 million in space but only 17 players. 

Washington has 4.2 million but needs to sign Djoos and Vrana, and that would put them at 22. 

Vancouver seems ok to me... 5.5 miiion... 27 on the roster (so add 5 million) and only Boeser and Goldobin to sign... but we have reports in the Vancouver paper yesterday that they want to clear space. 

San Jose is tight to the cap too. 

As arbitration dates get closer and these RFAs get contracts there will be more pressure on teams to make trades. 

Like a bear waiting besides the river for salmon to swim upstream :)

Me Like it ! :bouncing: