Stuff moved from the Rumour thread that isn't rumours

10 hours ago, Metallica said:

That's exactly my point if we're building up our young talent and prospects we have no need for Price and Weber, trade them now get top talent back well you still can and let them go win a cup before its to late for them to do so, because that's not going to happen here anytime soon.

We can get a big return on Weber and Price if we trade them now, rather then when their past 35 and just average NHL players.

Zdeno chara was a top 4 defenceman past the age of 40.

Plenty of goalies have been very good past 30, 35... especially one who is elite earlier in his career.

Both these players are huge for the leadership of the club and installing a winning culture too.  You don't want to be edmonton.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Habber31 said:

He's been gifted picks. 

The prospect pool is better because this team hasn't made the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. I mean, is it that hard to see. 

This g.m couldn't put the missing pieces together when he had a core of Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Galchenyuk, Radulov, and prized prospect in Serachev... No faith here.

The same people that love Bergevin, are the same ones that loved Therrien. How did that play out...

It's more than just extra picks.  Its solid picks in poehling at 25th.  It's a trade for suzuki from pacioretty.  7th rounders like primeau developping.  Caufield isnt an extra pick.  It's taking kotkaniemi when most wouldnt have.  Its brook and romanov and fleury.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's more than just extra picks.  Its solid picks in poehling at 25th.  It's a trade for suzuki from pacioretty.  7th rounders like primeau developping.  Caufield isnt an extra pick.  It's taking kotkaniemi when most wouldnt have.  Its brook and romanov and fleury. 

ya but, Gainey-Goat set em up well by picking no 1st pick in 2008, Leblanc in 2009, Tinordi 2010 and Beaulieu 2011 (coasting after killing it in 2007 maybe).

I do love our prospect pool, but I also loved the core we had (as I mentioned above)... Bergevin showed how inept he was with the handling of that group. 

The Habs are worse off with the subtraction of Shaw and the addition of Chiarot. Where is the direction? 

We all get giddy on free agent days or in year's past deadline days, only to be disappointed once again. In 2017, our g.m went out and traded for Martinsen, Ott, and Dwight King( none of which play in the nhl anymore :thumbs_up:), when the only real missing piece this team needed was a top 6 forward, that could bury the puck, from time to time 

At that very moment, I knew this g.m had no clue what he was doing.

Keep eating the bread though; you guys are paying for Bergevin's hypnotizing, tailored fit suits. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I do love our prospect pool, but I also loved the core we had (as I mentioned above)... Bergevin showed how inept he was with the handling of that group. 

The Habs are worse off with the subtraction of Shaw and the addition of Chiarot. Where is the direction? 

We all get giddy on free agent days or in year's past deadline days, only to be disappointed once again. In 2017, our g.m went out and traded for Martinsen, Ott, and Dwight King( none of which play in the nhl anymore :thumbs_up:), when the only real missing piece this team needed was a top 6 forward, that could bury the puck, from time to time 

Keep eating the bread though; you guys are paying for Bergevin's hypnotizing, tailored fit suits. 

I’m glad I’m not as pessimistic and sour as you. That would be rough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Zdeno chara was a top 4 defenceman past the age of 40.

Plenty of goalies have been very good past 30, 35... especially one who is elite earlier in his career.

Both these players are huge for the leadership of the club and installing a winning culture too.  You don't want to be edmonton.

Its this way of thinking why we will always be nothing more than a bubble team.

2 hours ago, Habber31 said:

As I said. To assume that 2019 Bergevin  is the same GM as 2013 Bergevin is folly

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Its this way of thinking why we will always be nothing more than a bubble team.

And if we move them we can be the oilers or the sabres with no leadership for any of the young players. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

How so?

We can never rebuild a team properly because we have to give media and fans false hope to keep them happy.

Instead of a retool this should of been a rebuild plan. 

If management is hoping that our young guys will make a impact that means they're not pushing for a cup run and if they're not pushing for a cup run theirs no need for Price and Weber.

For Weber we can get a top young player plus a 1st round pick now for him maybe even more if we eat  some of his cap hit so team's would be more willing to give up a higher price for him.

Same as Price playoff teams would give up a lot to get him.

I would rather us finish at the bottom and get a top 5 pick ever year for 3-4 years then just missing the playoffs and get a 15-20 pick ever year, like we have  been doing.

Just look at what happened with Markov. We should of traded him sooner but we didn't kept him on the team, then we just let him go. We ended up with nothing and still feeling the effects of it.

By the time our young players will be ready to make a impact in the NHL we will be looking at the same situation with them like we did with Markov. They will both either retire or walk away from the team leaving us with nothing and a big hole to fill.

38 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Both those teams are closer to wining a cup then we will ever be if we 

I disagree.  I think the Oilers are very much spinning their wheels despite having the best player in the world.  They have no goalie and their wingers are crap.  They are also capped out. Poorly developed high draft picks like Nail Yakupov and Jesse Puljujarvi really hurt, and when guys have developed like Taylor Hall, they trade him away for a mediocre defender, or Jordan Eberle and have nothing in return. 

The Sabres have never gotten a culture of winning despite all their high picks. They overpaid Jeff Skinner who scored 4 goals in his last 28 games. They have a good first line but lack any depth in the forward group.  They also have no goaltending. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

We can never rebuild a team properly because we have to give media and fans false hope to keep them happy.

Instead of a retool this should of been a rebuild plan. 

If management is hoping that our young guys will make a impact that means they're not pushing for a cup run and if they're not pushing for a cup run theirs no need for Price and Weber.

For Weber we can get a top young player plus a 1st round pick now for him maybe even more if we eat  some of his cap hit so team's would be more willing to give up a higher price for him.

Same as Price playoff teams would give up a lot to get him.

I would rather us finish at the bottom and get a top 5 pick ever year for 3-4 years then just missing the playoffs and get a 15-20 pick ever year, like we have  been doing.

Just look at what happened with Markov. We should of traded him sooner but we didn't kept him on the team, then we just let him go. We ended up with nothing and still feeling the effects of it.

By the time our young players will be ready to make a impact in the NHL we will be looking at the same situation with them like we did with Markov. They will both either retire or walk away from the team leaving us with nothing and a big hole to fill.

Can we please stop with the notions that we have to poop the bed for years on end to become an instant contender, and that we have to trade players based on age regardless of where your team is in its building arc?

It is seriously ridiculous to consider both of those things to be absolutes, when it comes to how to reach contender status. Did you see St.Louis or Boston bottom feeding for years during the last 5 to 7 years to get where they are today? Did they trade away all their veterans on the wrong side of their prime to achieve their current status? How about San Jose? How many seasons did they spend bottom feeding to acquire a contender during the last 5 to 7 seasons? How many veterans did they trade away in that time? 

There are several different ways to build a contending team, but ultimately a balance of good drafting, good trades to achieve roster balance, good contracts and cap management are the keys to getting there.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Metallica said:

Both those teams are closer to wining a cup then we will ever be if we 

Ok so this got downvote 2x's, I would like to know how people think our team is in better shape than Edmonton or Buffalo?

If both these team's get goaltending they can make a run at the cup.

I have more faith in Ken Holland wining a cup with Edmonton way before I do with Bergevin wining a cup in Montreal.

30 minutes ago, Metallica said:

If both these team's get goaltending they can make a run at the cup

Hahaha.

Keep on trying to prove just how bad the habs are, just too funny.:popcorn:

• Upvote 2

closer to a cup than "WE WILL EVER BE"

EVER?

We can never be as close to the cup as the teams who finished 23rd and 24th in the NHL last season? 

Really???

EVER?

I refer to the STOP THE MADNESS post I made earlier, where the hyperbole is getting out of hand... Bergevin is Milbury... Drouin is a third liner... Sergachev is already a #1 Dman... We will never be closer to the cup then two teams who finished no where close to a playoff spot, and have no goaltending.  Both have issues with secondary scoring too.  Who is the Sabres #2 Centre?  Who are the Oilers wingers after Draisaitl?  We will never be better than that?  

My goodness...  What the hell happened to everyone this summer?  Where is the rational thought?

• Like 1

Edmonton has had no direction or identity for years now that will change with Ken Holland and Dave Tippett runing things.

The same could be said for Buffalo and you can add New Jersey to that mix all they need is to add a goaltender to that mix to put them over the top. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We're NEVER going to make the playoffs again based on the fact those teams are closer to a cup than we will EVER be.

The 25th and 27th teams are closer to the cup than the 14th will EVER be

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2