Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IN THE HEARTS OF MEN

Stuff moved from the Rumour thread that isn't rumours

Recommended Posts

So what your saying in other words is it's a dream that he would impress so much to merit a top 6 role and move Domi? 

 

1) Drouin Domi Shaw

2) Drouin Poehling Domi

3) Drouin Domi Poehling

 

Sorry but I'm hoping my dream of #2 way more then Number 3.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

So what your saying in other words is it's a dream that he would impress so much to merit a top 6 role and move Domi? 

 

1) Drouin Domi Shaw

2) Drouin Poehling Domi

3) Drouin Domi Poehling

 

Sorry but I'm hoping my dream of #2 way more then Number 3.

 

 

Kk has a much higher ceiling and played 3c all year.  You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills first. Poeling may not even make the team. I dont think it's pessimistic to think that if he does make it he will be protected and get 4th line minutes. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poehling might grow into a top-6 C. It's possible given the lift-off that his offensive game displayed in the minors, after he was drafted as more of a two-way guy. What I'm skeptical about is that he will step in and be a #2C next season, his rookie year. And even in the highly unlikely event that he plays like a top-6 FW consistently, it is probably more realistic that *he* would be the guy placed on the wing next to Domi, rather than the other way around.

 

Here's another way to put it: Poehling is 99% guaranteed NOT to be a better player, or better C, than Max Domi next season.

 

My general attitude can be summed up as follows. Rookies rarely step in and make a consistent impact. That's just reality. And that's why I generally don't get too excited about what they will add to the roster, in that first season. Call me a pessimist all you want, but the list of Habs rookies/prospects that people got all excited about is practically endless - and of all of them, only a small handful actually bucked the odds and had an immediate impact. (Indeed, most of them amounted to nothing or relatively little as NHL players in general, never mind as rookies).

 

What offensive lift-off in the minors?

 

He scored 8 goals and 31 points in 36 college games last year. 

That does not scream offensive lift-off, nor does it say top 6 centre especially this season. 

I like the player, but anyone thinking he's going to be a scorer just isn't supported by the numbers (and yes i realize you aren't saying he will be). Its the McCarron argument all over again. This guy is gonna score lots when he's never scored lots in college or in juniors or whatever cause of magic pixie dust or something.....

 

The difference is that Poehling has the skating and smarts to still succeed in the NHL even without being a top scorer. 

 

He's likely to be a third line centre, with an absolute max of second line if he develops late.  But anyone thinking that he is going to be the guy to push a 72 point Domi to the wing is not just dreaming, but dreaming in technicolour.

 

As for the fact that Arizona played Domi on the wing before... great... that's all fine and dandy... but the guy had his best season ever (by far) when he was moved to centre.  Why would we assume Arizona was playing him in his right position? and that Montreal should want to move him back to wing?

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nice to think that Poehling could be a 1C, but it’s not likely—and it should not be a problem for us as we have Domi now and Kotkaniemi soon enough.

 

And it’s extremely rare for prospects to jump directly into the first or second line on any team in their first season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

What offensive lift-off in the minors?

 

He scored 8 goals and 31 points in 36 college games last year. 

That does not scream offensive lift-off, nor does it say top 6 centre especially this season. 

I like the player, but anyone thinking he's going to be a scorer just isn't supported by the numbers (and yes i realize you aren't saying he will be). Its the McCarron argument all over again. This guy is gonna score lots when he's never scored lots in college or in juniors or whatever cause of magic pixie dust or something.....

 

The difference is that Poehling has the skating and smarts to still succeed in the NHL even without being a top scorer. 

 

He's likely to be a third line centre, with an absolute max of second line if he develops late.  But anyone thinking that he is going to be the guy to push a 72 point Domi to the wing is not just dreaming, but dreaming in technicolour.

 

As for the fact that Arizona played Domi on the wing before... great... that's all fine and dandy... but the guy had his best season ever (by far) when he was moved to centre.  Why would we assume Arizona was playing him in his right position? and that Montreal should want to move him back to wing?

 

Oh, I agree with all of this. In talking about an "offensive lift-off" I was vaguely referencing some sources I'd read suggesting that he'd added some oomph to his offensive game, but basically I was trying to be as charitable as I could to the "other side" of the argument. (For my pains, I was downvoted, of course). I agree with everything you say in this post, and that others have said since my earlier post arguing that the idea of Poehling replacing Domi at C is ridiculous.

 

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It’s nice to think that Poehling could be a 1C, but it’s not likely—and it should not be a problem for us as we have Domi now and Kotkaniemi soon enough.

 

And it’s extremely rare for prospects to jump directly into the first or second line on any team in their first season.

 

100%.

 

Ironically, Poehling's first game may now create problems with the fan narrative around him. I can just see it: "why is this guy struggling? It's because they're not giving him offensive opportunities! Fire the coach!!" Etc. I predict he will become the new Lars Eller, a third-line C who some fans continually pine to see in a top-6 role, and blame the organization if he does not ascend to such a role.

 

Anyone expecting ANY of the Habs' prospects to step in and make an impact this season is almost certainly delusional. Prospects almost always have to be eased into the NHL game. KoKo had an unusually excellent rookie season and scored all of 34 points...and if memory serves faded significantly as the season ground on. That is pretty much the absolute best that can be expected, and he is the best "prospect"-aged kid in the system. Expect less rather than more from rookies. What bugs me is that wave after wave of rookies come up without fans ever figuring this out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Poehling can definitely have an impact on  the team this year. Not 1st c impact but an admirable impact none the less. His body looks ready and he already plays a strong game.

 

To a lesser extent I think Suzuki and Brook could surprise but I think both should get AHL time unless they absolutely show they are ready and in Brooks case it might be better considering both Weber and Petry on the right side he should get top minutes in the AHL but this kid is really good. He’s going to be a stud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to clarify.. 

 

screwing around in the middle of summer... putting a line up together suggesting with no more signings and no more trades what  the heck are biggest Hope's and dreams for next season could actually be..

 I suggest imagining/wish/ hope/ dream that Poehling could impress SO much that he could merit a spot high in the line up and you all are flipping out and changing everything around like I'm saying this is a done deal!

 

FFS you tell me how this team is improving from within then?

 

Without saying 

 

I dont want Domi moving after having his best season to date... but suggesting no alternative hope to improving the opening day line up.

 

Byron Weal Armia lehkonan on Domi's RW to replace shaw? YA that's a real big dream for success!!

Ok, if you said Suzuki impressing and playing on  Domi's wing I could share that dream.

 

Sorry for not thinking Max Domi at 24yrs old CAN ONLY score 70 points from C  and he'll be our saviour at #1C for life...

 

Meanwhile he put up 52 in his rookie season on a shi$ty a$S team playing wing. (I thought rookies cant contribute)

-Was a dynamo at the WJC at wing

-Put up 100+ points in London on wing

 

Is getting 20 more points then his rookie season 3 seasons later so impressive?considering he had 2 stalled seasons with a wrist injury. (Gallagher all over again) 

 

Gimmie a break what a joke! 

 

Can anyone quote anywhere that someone said Poehling was putting up 70 points next year? 

 

But to think Domi cant get 70 points next year with a good C on the wing is just as asinine as any other hope dream someone has.

 

Hate to break the news but going into next season our forward depth is at C.

 

But let's hope for Jason freakin Pominville on PTO to take us to the next level and save the day!

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, lets look at a guy who scored 8 goals in college and go... thats who i want with Domi instead of a player who has scored 20 in the NHL in Byron. Makes complete sense to have this belief.  Lets mock Byron while we are at it too.

 

And yeah sure,  Domi was good on the wing before in 2015 at the world juniors and as a rookie in phoenix.  He was Great at centre last year.  Lets put him back where hes been good in the past instead of where hes been great before cause we need to immediately insert a rookie (who scored 8 goals in college last year) on the number 1 line.

 

And maybe domi can get 70 on the wing... but why move him?  Centre is a much more important position.  As habs fans we should know this better than anyone.  We finally after two.decades have a guy who can score as a top line centre... lets see if he can put the same numbers on the wing cause we need to put a guy with less than a ppg in college on the first line. WHAT?  Why?

 

We are bringing in Ryan Poehling, not Elias Pettersson.  Lets not assume putting him on the first line centre as an NHL rookie over a guy who scored 72 points last year makes sense.

 

STOP THE MADNESS.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why dont you go back and read the original post.... you twist everything around

 

also all of sudden domi's 100+  points in junior are just GOOD... 52 points as kid coming out of junior (on ARI of all teams) is just good... a catalyst on our WJC team is just good...

 

and he's in fact on our 2nd line... tatar danault gallagher was and is our top line. maybe Domi scored the most points on the team... but he was not centering our top line.  just saying

 

Also, i didnt mock Byron at all. so stop trying to twist something else... he's a great player YES, but if we want to improve he surely shouldnt be in our top 6 on a team trying to beat out the bruins...

 

just like when i said way back when "why cant McCarron turn into the next Primeau" the relation was to his size and McCarron working hard and defying the scouts assessment of him. He  had not even laced up his skates and you already had him busting. You turned what i said into me saying McCarron was going to be the next Primeau. Thats not what i was saying at all then and its not what im saying now.

 

its why drafting is a crap shoot. and guys like Byron can succeed and guys like McCarron end up failing. and you turned that into McCarron is sh*T primeau this primeau that yada yada yada

 

But dont tell me i cant dream that Poehling can become more then just A 4TH LINER. especially when MB has done nothing to bolster the offence and in fact subtracted  Shaw and we need to look to within for improvement.

 

of course id love to keep Domi at C and sign Laine to play RW but i dont think thats happening....

 

SO WHY DONT YOU TELL ME HOW THIS TEAM IS GOING TO FILL THE VOID LEFT BY SHAW AND GET BETTER...without making a move instead of continually shutting down everything not suggested by you!!

 

 

and since were at it... im still waiting for you to pay your bet lost on McCarron. should you be paying interest on that?

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-08-07 at 9:21 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i will almost guarantee if Markov is signed he will end up in the top 4... and then Claude Julien will use him with Weber down the stretch for sure as He just wont be able to help himself with this temptation (especially since #79 will continue to defy the odds haha). Also, we don't need Pominville but a PTO to help push the pace at training camp wouldn't hurt.

 

Weise doesn't stand a chance of making the team i believe and is Laval bound.

 

Our biggest hope/dream is

-that Mete earns his #2 spot through merit rather necessity and we have a legit top pair

-Chariot turns out to be another sly steal ala Petry

-Kotkaniemi comes into camp big, fast and about 10/15 pounds heavier.

-Poehling impresses so much that we are able to move Domi back to wing to replace Shaw.

-Lehkonan finally remembers how to score and Armia learns to do more then just dominate possesion!

 

Tatar Danault Gallagher-----> proven commodity last year

Drouin Poehling Domi -----> could you imagine if Poehling could merit this spot??

Lehkonan KK Armia-----> the flying finns!!  haha

Byron Cousins Weal-----> could be one of the best 4th lines in the NHL

Thompson-(Evans)  Hudon-(Suzuki)

 

Mete Weber

Chariot Petry

Kulak Follin

Reilly-(Juulsen** )

 

Price

Kincaid

 

(    )dark horse to make team with opposite player waived or traded)

** monitor injury to eye and not waived

 

players waived or  better yet traded almost guaranteed

 

Peca 1.3 million

Weise 2.3 million

Alzner 4.6 million

Mason's contract 1.4 million

9.6 million in CAP space if moved

 

 

sorry cant help myself... love speculating line ups in august!

 

my original post.... how does anything written there get down voted. Seriously though. Are we not all fans of the habs? 

 

At least we got away from the bashing MB as GM saga routinely done every august since Subban was moved

 

its bloody summer! geeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
37
2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
37
2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

why dont you go back and read the original post.... you twist everything around

 

also all of sudden domi's 100+  points in junior are just GOOD... 52 points as kid coming out of junior (on ARI of all teams) is just good... a catalyst on our WJC team is just good...

 

and he's in fact on our 2nd line... tatar danault gallagher was and is our top line. maybe Domi scored the most points on the team... but he was not centering our top line.  just saying

 

Also, i didnt mock Byron at all. so stop trying to twist something else... he's a great player YES, but if we want to improve he surely shouldnt be in our top 6 on a team trying to beat out the bruins...

 

just like when i said way back when "why cant McCarron turn into the next Primeau" the relation was to his size and McCarron working hard and defying the scouts assessment of him. He  had not even laced up his skates and you already had him busting. You turned what i said into me saying McCarron was going to be the next Primeau. Thats not what i was saying at all then and its not what im saying now.

 

its why drafting is a crap shoot. and guys like Byron can succeed and guys like McCarron end up failing. and you turned that into McCarron is sh*T primeau this primeau that yada yada yada

 

But dont tell me i cant dream that Poehling can become more then just A 4TH LINER. especially when MB has done nothing to bolster the offence and in fact subtracted  Shaw and we need to look to within for improvement.

 

of course id love to keep Domi at C and sign Laine to play RW but i dont think thats happening....

 

SO WHY DONT YOU TELL ME HOW THIS TEAM IS GOING TO FILL THE VOID LEFT BY SHAW AND GET BETTER...without making a move instead of continually shutting down everything not suggested by you!!

 

 

and since were at it... im still waiting for you to pay your bet lost on McCarron. should you be paying interest on that?

 

 

 

 

 

 


Domi's junior stats were 5 years ago now.  Who cares when we have seen him in the NHL.  And what i have seen in the NHL is a #1 centre.  Why take him off centre to put him on wing for a rookie to take the top line spot.  A rookie who couldn't even put up a PPG in college as a junior??  That's dumb.  Sorry, I have to be honest.  It's dumb.  Could Domi score on the wing? sure, I'll concede that.  But you failed to address the main point... as a position, Centre is so much more valuable than wing, so even if he gets the same points at Wing, why would you move him off centre to put a rookie there?  It makes no sense. 

 

Domi is the top centre on the team.   And the first centre in 20 years we can say that about.  Why you'd take him out of the most valuable position to put him on the wing, i don't get it. 

I already said Poehling will become a second or third liner at his peak.  He's a rookie, his peak isn't today.  So yes he can be more than a 4th liner. Moving Domi to put him in the lineup in a top-6 role as a rookie is dumb though.  He's not going to be Pettersson where you get that out of him on a rookie deal. 

Andrew Shaw scored 19 goals last year.  A great year for him, no doubt.  Could his void be filled by Byron who has scored 20 before?  YUP.... it can.   And he's the best option for that spot unless Suzuki shows he's ready for it in camp.  

 

And why couldn't McCarron turn into Primeau? Because magic doesn't happen.  If a kid can't score in lower leagues... that's a big flashing red sign that he's not going to be an NHL scorer.  If you don't score against worse competition, the offence isn't going to come when you play the best of the best, not consistently.  It just won't. There are very, very few exceptions to this. Guys who can't score in juniors or college and suddenly score in the NHL.  Its a bad bet, and I was right on McCarron.  Right on him from day 1, he's failed and busted.   That happened.  So taking me to task today for saying it was a bad pick the moment it was made... guess what.  I was right. 

 

And for McCarron having a chance to be a Keith Primeau close... He never could.  He never had that potential, and arguing it now when he can't even put up the numbers Primeau put in the NHL, while playing AHL hockey should show you.... Did McCarron have Primeau potential? Nope, never did.  Never had that ceiling.  Hey Ric what do you think?

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Why could he never be Primeau, cause he didn't have that talent.  Primeau was a big time scorer in junior. He showed his skill before he got to the NHL. 

 

As for your bolded.... I paid my bet on mccarron.  I paid it to charity on behalf of Chris. I even forwarded him a screenshot that showed i made the payment to the charity.   I made the payment three years ago immediately after he had his ok AHL season.   So I'm willing to pay my bets.  I had one bet as far as I remember, but if you can show me another bet I had with you, then I'll gladly pay it. AFAIK, I had one bet and it was with Chris. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, I barely know what we're arguing about any more. The idea that Poehling is going to displace Domi is ridiculous, period. What is the point of writing long posts defending or attacking a ridiculous idea?

 

That said, HEART's underlying question about how this team is going to improve next year, given the loss of Shaw, is entirely valid. What is not valid is answering it through unrealistic projections about what rookies will bring to the roster. Rookies are usually a project; you ease them into the lineup and manage their minutes. They are seldom the ticket to immediate improvement. So, forget that.

 

So, where does the improvement come from? Well, Chiarot probably represents a modest upgrade on Benn. But I find it hard to believe that Bet Chiarot is some big difference-maker. Beyond that, we'd have to hope that young or young-ish players like Arnia, KoKo or Mete - players with upside, who are no longer rookies - can improve. And of course we can hope that Weber both stays healthy all year and does not see any regression in his game due to advancing age.

 

That seems to be about it. As it stands right now, MB has done precisely jack-sh*t to improve the roster. Therefore, we have to just cross our fingers that KoKo suffers no sophomore jinx, that Mete progresses, and that Weber stays injury- and regression-free.

 

Why do you think I have opted out of the general bubbly optimism around here? This team regularly sits on millions in cap room and did little to improve on a roster that missed the playoffs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy, I barely know what we're arguing about any more. The idea that Poehling is going to displace Domi is ridiculous, period. What is the point of writing long posts defending or attacking a ridiculous idea?

 

That said, HEART's underlying question about how this team is going to improve next year, given the loss of Shaw, is entirely valid. What is not valid is answering it through unrealistic projections about what rookies will bring to the roster. Rookies are usually a project; you ease them into the lineup and manage their minutes. They are seldom the ticket to immediate improvement. So, forget that.

 

So, where does the improvement come from? Well, Chiarot probably represents a modest upgrade on Benn. But I find it hard to believe that Bet Chiarot is some big difference-maker. Beyond that, we'd have to hope that young or young-ish players like Arnia, KoKo or Mete - players with upside, who are no longer rookies - can improve. And of course we can hope that Weber both stays healthy all year and does not see any regression in his game due to advancing age.

 

That seems to be about it. As it stands right now, MB has done precisely jack-sh*t to improve the roster. Therefore, we have to just cross our fingers that KoKo suffers no sophomore jinx, that Mete progresses, and that Weber stays injury- and regression-free.

 

Why do you think I have opted out of the general bubbly optimism around here? This team regularly sits on millions in cap room and did little to improve on a roster that missed the playoffs.

 

 

 

We missed the playoffs by two points.  

The biggest upgrade is that we have gone from a backup goalie who was crap all season, to one who should be able to win more of the games he plays.  With such a fine margin, thats the biggest spot to see us getting more points. 

That and a full season of Weber, and a better fourth line over the full season. 

It was fine margins here... .1 win out of the playoffs over 82 games.  So yes, the improvements are slight, but did they need to be huge?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

We missed the playoffs by two points.  

The biggest upgrade is that we have gone from a backup goalie who was crap all season, to one who should be able to win more of the games he plays.  With such a fine margin, thats the biggest spot to see us getting more points. 

That and a full season of Weber, and a better fourth line over the full season. 

It was fine margins here... .1 win out of the playoffs over 82 games.  So yes, the improvements are slight, but did they need to be huge?

 

Good point about the backup...but then again Kinkaid's numbers were so atrocious last year that I am not too excited about him.

 

You're right about the fine margins. Fair point. Then again, we can flip that point around. The team missed by two points - a healthy and non-regressed Weber will make up the gap, right? Well, maybe not. What if Gallagher gets hurt? Or Domi? My point here is just to say that, rather than settle for marginal improvement (if we have even that), we gave ourselves a bigger margin of error. Instead we are basically standing pat with a bubble team and hoping the breaks go our way this time around.

 

Fundamentally, I do not understand why fans are satisfied with that. I'm being honest here. I just don't get it.

 

Now if someone wants to reiterate the point that the offseason isn't over yet, more could still happen - hey, I agree. But as of right now, I see no reason to be particularly excited or especially optimistic. We have a bubble team just like last year! Yaaaaaaaaay! <_<

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Good point about the backup...but then again Kinkaid's numbers were so atrocious last year that I am not too excited about him.

 

You're right about the fine margins. Fair point. Then again, we can flip that point around. The team missed by two points - a healthy and non-regressed Weber will make up the gap, right? Well, maybe not. What if Gallagher gets hurt? Or Domi? My point here is just to say that, rather than settle for marginal improvement (if we have even that), we gave ourselves a bigger margin of error. Instead we are basically standing pat with a bubble team and hoping the breaks go our way this time around.

 

Fundamentally, I do not understand why fans are satisfied with that. I'm being honest here. I just don't get it.

 

Now if someone wants to reiterate the point that the offseason isn't over yet, more could still happen - hey, I agree. But as of right now, I see no reason to be particularly excited or especially optimistic. We have a bubble team just like last year! Yaaaaaaaaay! <_<

 

The other points i would add. 

 

Kinkaid was bad last year as they tried to make him the starter.  He's one of those goalies... good with a small workload, bad with a big one.  Thats why I see last season's numbers as an outlier and look at seasons when he was a backup. 


Some spots on the roster have been left for Poehling/Suzuki to compete for ... and for guys like Brooks/Juulsen/Fleury to compete for at RD....  As you rightfully said, rookies won't have big impacts.  But we have a great prospect pool and those rookies need to make the team at some point so they can grow into bigger roles.  We can't graduate all of them at once and expect it to work (1-3 a year bedding in with the squad is how its gonna happen).  This is a team that is still re-tooling.  I don't think this team is ready to be a cup contender yet, and that's fine for a team that finished 27th in the NHL in 2017.  Its going to be about letting the kids play and gain experience.  And that might be in some of the 3rd and 4th line roles to start and bigger down the road.  For now... guys like Byron can hold down Shaw's place, and you hope that some improvement from kids who have already made the team like Mete, Koko, Lehkonen, Drouin, Domi, etc... all under 25 can keep the team competitive while the next generation beds in. 

 

Mete and Koko really made themselves permanent fixtures in the lineup last year.  Now 1 or 2 more need to make themselves fixtures in the lineup (and no, thats not throwing Poehling to the wolves and saying, you centre Drouin and Domi); thats bringing the kids in, and seeing them develop. 

If the suggestion is... hey maybe by January we see a team where... KoKo shows more improvement and we need more ice time there... maybe he centres Drouin and Domi, and Poehling comes in and played well to start the year, hey he's ready for the third line role... or maybe suzuki is... or maybe Weal or Cousins takes it and Jake Evans is ready for the 4th line... then I could listen to that.  Its moving everyone up the ladder if they  show they can, and maybe that's your internal improvement.

Its a rock and a hard place for a re-tooling team.  Do we go and replace shaw and have all our roster spots filled and give no opportunity for the young guys?  Like we all agree, rookies need to grow, but how do they grow if you dont have spots for them to jump into and get experience and climb the ladder?  And thats what it is, a ladder.  Its not throwing a kid who isn't a blue-chip elite guy like my Pettersson example into the top line on day one.  There are very few prospects who are like that. Instead we have a strong group we need to keep developing. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is hilarious...

So basically what your saying now is "imagine if KK  impresses enough to merit more TOI" then it's ok to move Domi and his 72 points to wing in January

Unbelievable!

 

What happened to we finally have a 

#1 C after 20 years.... we ain't moving him blah blah blah

 

But heaven forbid I say

 "Imagine Poehling can impress so much that he merits pushing Domi out wide to replace Shaw"

 

Not throw him to the wolves...or  force him in a role he isn't ready for..

Bit for him to EARN it.

 

Impress/ prove you belong/ merit!!!!

 

Also, I'd be thrilled if Suzuki could prove worthy of a spot on the wing with Domi as well.

 

That's the hope we have since MB failed to come through with Molsons plan of being Competitive now!

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

The other points i would add. 

 

Kinkaid was bad last year as they tried to make him the starter.  He's one of those goalies... good with a small workload, bad with a big one.  Thats why I see last season's numbers as an outlier and look at seasons when he was a backup. 


Some spots on the roster have been left for Poehling/Suzuki to compete for ... and for guys like Brooks/Juulsen/Fleury to compete for at RD....  As you rightfully said, rookies won't have big impacts.  But we have a great prospect pool and those rookies need to make the team at some point so they can grow into bigger roles.  We can't graduate all of them at once and expect it to work (1-3 a year bedding in with the squad is how its gonna happen).  This is a team that is still re-tooling.  I don't think this team is ready to be a cup contender yet, and that's fine for a team that finished 27th in the NHL in 2017.  Its going to be about letting the kids play and gain experience.  And that might be in some of the 3rd and 4th line roles to start and bigger down the road.  For now... guys like Byron can hold down Shaw's place, and you hope that some improvement from kids who have already made the team like Mete, Koko, Lehkonen, Drouin, Domi, etc... all under 25 can keep the team competitive while the next generation beds in. 

 

Mete and Koko really made themselves permanent fixtures in the lineup last year.  Now 1 or 2 more need to make themselves fixtures in the lineup (and no, thats not throwing Poehling to the wolves and saying, you centre Drouin and Domi); thats bringing the kids in, and seeing them develop. 

If the suggestion is... hey maybe by January we see a team where... KoKo shows more improvement and we need more ice time there... maybe he centres Drouin and Domi, and Poehling comes in and played well to start the year, hey he's ready for the third line role... or maybe suzuki is... or maybe Weal or Cousins takes it and Jake Evans is ready for the 4th line... then I could listen to that.  Its moving everyone up the ladder if they  show they can, and maybe that's your internal improvement.

Its a rock and a hard place for a re-tooling team.  Do we go and replace shaw and have all our roster spots filled and give no opportunity for the young guys?  Like we all agree, rookies need to grow, but how do they grow if you dont have spots for them to jump into and get experience and climb the ladder?  And thats what it is, a ladder.  Its not throwing a kid who isn't a blue-chip elite guy like my Pettersson example into the top line on day one.  There are very few prospects who are like that. Instead we have a strong group we need to keep developing. 

 

The bet⬇️

 

You said McCarron would NOT get 25 points his rookie year in the AHL

I said he'd do it in 60 games if he played that many...

 

And I even gave you a chance to opt out of the bet as well

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no justifiable reason for this, but I'm optimistic about the upcoming season. Fully expect a great season from the Habs this season, 100 points. No specific reason, I'm just more optimistic than I have been in a long time about the Habs. I think it's alright for some people to be maybe unrealistically positive here, because let's be honest, theres a S*** ton of negative Nancy doom and gloom posters. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

This is hilarious...

So basically what your saying now is "imagine if KK  impresses enough to merit more TOI" then it's ok to move Domi and his 72 points to wing in January

Unbelievable!

 

What happened to we finally have a 

#1 C after 20 years.... we ain't moving him blah blah blah

 

But heaven forbid I say

 "Imagine Poehling can impress so much that he merits pushing Domi out wide to replace Shaw"

 

Not throw him to the wolves...or  force him in a role he isn't ready for..

Bit for him to EARN it.

 

Impress/ prove you belong/ merit!!!!

 

Also, I'd be thrilled if Suzuki could prove worthy of a spot on the wing with Domi as well.

 

That's the hope we have since MB failed to come through with Molsons plan of being Competitive now!

 

The bet⬇️

 

You said McCarron would NOT get 25 points his rookie year in the AHL

I said he'd do it in 60 games if he played that many...

 

And I even gave you a chance to opt out of the bet as well

 

 

 

Do you have a link to the post?

 

Ask chris.  I paid his bet by giving the money to wounded warriors charity.

 

If you can show me my post.  Ill gladly pay you but i dont remember a second bet on this.

 

 

....

 

As for what is the difference between KK and Poehling.  One is a raw rookie and one isnt.  One has the ceiling to be a 70 point+ nhl player at some point in his career and the other just doesn't. 

 

Kk just did more in proving his potential.

 

Again, you didnt answer the question.  Why do you believe that a kid who couldnt be a top producer in junior or in college playing against his own age group.. can do so in the NHL?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its true, Commandant is a man of his word. 

 

I like the centers they have moving forward, 

 

I am probably higher on Poehling than most people on here, 

 

i think Suzuki, KK and Domi will be good also, 1st year Domi at center in a habs jersey, he'll need to repeat his success

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said i believe that is happening tomorrow!.. never said he would score 70+ never said he should move Domi to start the season.

what i said was considering  with no other talent being brought in via trade or FA what can we dream or hope for. That's a legitimate question for everyone in the middle of summer considering all i've read was how sh*t MB is still all summer long.

what could we dream happens to boost this team from within?

 

-If you said Byron scoring 30 I could understand 

-If you said you dream Weber would score 20 on the PP ok

-Suzuki turns into Marner 2.0 awesome

-lehkonan finally finds the form he showed in Finland when he led his team to championship great...

-weal and cousins become this years version of Weise and Byron sweet

 

But you didnt. You took my precognitive dream(haha) and made it as if it's my belief of what's happening as soon as training camp...

 

I didnt say this guy needs to play on the 2nd line.

I said imagine he could impress enough to merit that. imagine he proves he can hang on that line with those guys...

 

You seem to be ignoring the words imagine hope dream, even after I put them in bold.

 

Of course he should be eased in. And he definitely should NOT start his career on the wing.

I'm just as happy is Suzuki can prove his worth and we have a 2nd line of

Drouin Domi Suzuki

I just think that line is to small and Poehling's size would fit better between the two. It's why I prefer the Poehling dream more so then Suzuki.

To each there own I guess.

 

Again its summer dreaming. 

 

I also dont think it's right that posters just down vote for no reason... that's BS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You never answered the question...

 

What's your dream to happen for this roster to hang with BOS TB Toronto Florida and a young OTT team in the Atlantic alone never mind the metro? 

Hopefully you dream big cause it's exactly what we'll need.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better, more mobile puck moving defensemen, 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

 and a young OTT team in the Atlantic

 

A young Ottawa team, sure, but who cares how old they are...they are horrible and will suck for foreseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DON said:

A young Ottawa team, sure, but who cares how old they are...they are horrible and will suck for foreseeable future. 

Didnt want to leave them out... meanwhile i forgot Buffalo as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chris said:

Better, more mobile puck moving defensemen,

A young Markov is exactly what they need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×