2019 Rookie camp

Trizzak

https://www.nhl.com/news/twenty-eight-players-to-participate-in-the-canadiens-2019-rookie-camp/c-308688160

Camp culminates with the tournament against Ottawa and Winnipeg.

I'm ready to see some hockey, but I'm also wondering if we should take bets on which Habs player gets injured playing useless games against ECHL thugs?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/twenty-eight-players-to-participate-in-the-canadiens-2019-rookie-camp/c-308688160

Camp culminates with the tournament against Ottawa and Winnipeg.

I'm ready to see some hockey, but I'm also wondering if we should take bets on which Habs player gets injured playing useless games against ECHL thugs?

That's 28 including Teasdale ... so 27.

Five players with some playing time in the ECHL. Only two of them with any substantial penalty minutes (98 for Adams-Moisan and 48 for Crevier-Morin) so hopefully not much thuggery will be on display.

• Like 1

I was hoping there was going to be an interesting newcomer or two that wasn't at Development Camp but no luck there.  I'm a bit surprised to see Evans on the list but this is a roster that skews a little older than usual.  That's what happens when they have a lot of college/international prospects.

I did a quick piece on the invites (and those on AHL deals). http://www.habsworld.net/2019/08/a-look-at-the-2019-rookie-camp-invites/

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I was hoping there was going to be an interesting newcomer or two that wasn't at Development Camp but no luck there.  I'm a bit surprised to see Evans on the list but this is a roster that skews a little older than usual.  That's what happens when they have a lot of college/international prospects.

I did a quick piece on the invites (and those on AHL deals). http://www.habsworld.net/2019/08/a-look-at-the-2019-rookie-camp-invites/

Not shocked the Habs aren't a prime destination for tryouts and PTOs this year. Few empty spots available in Montreal or Laval, and no guaranteed ECHL affiliate.

On 9/4/2019 at 6:14 PM, dlbalr said:

All games can be seen on TSN.ca.  I don't know about whether or not RDS will be doing the same or showing the games on TV.

https://www.tsn.ca/top-prospects-headline-rookie-showcase-games-on-tsn-1.1360381

Any word if TSN is covering the vast majority of Habs games again this season?

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Day 2 of rookie camp, so it's time to jump to conclusions and overreact to not much...

Suzuki is lining up as a RW instead of C for the drills.

Jump to Conclusions, is such a fun game.:clap:

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Day 2 of rookie camp, so it's time to jump to conclusions and overreact to not much...

Suzuki is lining up as a RW instead of C for the drills.

My jump to conclusions is that they want him to replace Shaw beside Domi. 

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

My jump to conclusions is that they want him to replace Shaw beside Domi. 

But, Suzuki did say in summer, more of less, that Habs wanted him at centre (maybe meant longer term) and assume he will be in Laval and maybe play wing/some centre when injuries happen and gets called up?

1 hour ago, DON said:

But, Suzuki did say in summer, more of less, that Habs wanted him at centre (maybe meant longer term) and assume he will be in Laval and maybe play wing/some centre when injuries happen and gets called up?

He's actually done some C and some RW in the first two days of camp.  He hasn't been exclusive at either spot. 

Player heights/weights appear to be updated.  Yesterday, Suzuki mentioned he was over 200 lbs and now the roster reflects that: http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/308696212/binary-file/file.pdf

Lines from practice:

Harvey-Pinard - Poehling - Suzuki

McShane - Evans - Alain

Fonstad - Verbeek - Guay

Cox - Hillis - Hawel

Pezzetta - Houde - Marleau

Fairbrother - Brook

Leskinen - Fleury

Crevier-Morin - York

LeGuerrier - Plouffe

Primeau

Shank

Nice to be back.

Habs rookies and a poor offensive showing in the Rookie Showcase, name a more iconic duo. Sucks when most of your goal scorers are in Europe or in college, but I was hoping for a bit more offensive dominance from the 1st rounders and 2nd year AHLers.

Harvey-Pinard would have a contract off his performance here if the Habs weren't flirting so closely with the contract limit. Leskinen might need a whole year in the AHL to get used to north american ice size, but the puck-moving skill is apparent. Evans might be the smartest player on the ice in every game he plays this season. Really feels like Suzuki's potential will best be met at center, but that gaping hole at 2nd line RW on the Habs might be calling his name too loudly. Brook, oof... not a good first impression with the coach. And holy shit is Verbeek ever fast, but too bad that's about it with him tho.

Just something to keep in mind: Bergevin made the Pacioretty trade last year on September 10th - shortly after the Rookie Showcase ended. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Just something to keep in mind: Bergevin made the Pacioretty trade last year on September 10th - shortly after the Rookie Showcase ended. 

"Please don't trade for Laine, please don't trade for Laine"  - Nick Suzuki 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

We're not quite back yet.  Another update was attempted and it didn't go well so we reverted back to a backup version for now.  I'm not sure when the next attempt will be made.

If the site is going to go down for awhile, might I suggest August? <_<

• Like 1

I’ve heard it said a few times but I don’t think the Pacioretty move last year will have any influence on this year. The “September 10th move” is not a “Bergevin specialty”. The Pacioretty situation was extremely unique. I don’t think we should expect that making decently major moves in September is something that Bergevin actively targets. 

I don’t expect anything significant to happen from here on out. Of course some PTO or depth move may still happen, but that’s about it.

42 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ve heard it said a few times but I don’t think the Pacioretty move last year will have any influence on this year. The “September 10th move” is not a “Bergevin specialty”. The Pacioretty situation was extremely unique. I don’t think we should expect that making decently major moves in September is something that Bergevin actively targets. 

I don’t expect anything significant to happen from here on out. Of course some PTO or depth move may still happen, but that’s about it.

Your probably right, MB kind of hinted to it too at the golf tournament. That there were no players right now that would put the Habs over the top or something of that nature.

I think this is the team we have unless Laine lands into our hands.

The kulak and olofsson trades were made near the end of camp and right before the season too.

So was the byron waiver claim.

There is movement to be made on this roster and we have cap space (which many teams still need to sign rfas.)

Habs rookies played against the Quebec University All-Stars. Most of the big names were healthy scratches (probably to make the game slightly more fair), but the kids still stomped them 7 - 3.

Training camp starts September 12th.