2019 Training Camp

Trizzak

15 hours ago, Habber31 said:

The more you make, the more you spend 

Especially if you're moving in circles where everyone is a millionaire. If everyone you know has Teslas (or in the case of the standard completely unwoke NHLer, a collossal gas-sucking SUV), lives in elite housing  and vacations in exotic locales at will, you're gonna feel like a complete dick driving a Kia, living in a suburban townhouse, and going to Mont Tremblant. Status and dignity are always relative to those we're comparing ourselves to.

Ya THAT was to was to be expected considering he missed the better part of the pre season. Surely he will be up sooner rather then later as his brief game action is indicative of him being NHL ready. In the meantime we can all enjoy 2 rookies making it out of camp and one likely to be inserted into a top 6 role. Who would of dreamt that?? 😏

17 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

In the meantime we can all enjoy 2 rookies making it out of camp and one likely to be inserted into a top 6 role. Who would of dreamt that?? 😏

This will come off negative even though being negative is not in my nature but it is somewhat to be expected considering the moves (or lack there of) we made during the off season. It’s a positive and negative sign simultaneously in my books. 

When you have rookies of the quality of Suzuki, Poehling, Evans upfront, isn't it a good thing in the off-season to keep one spot open for someone to win?  If the rookies didn't perform and Hudon or Peca or Weise was the better than all three of them, then we'd still have a veteran in the spot.  The fact is they still beat out 3 forwards who had NHL time with us last year. 

If Caufield goes out and has a huge College Season this year and signs after its done, will we want MB to have a spot open for him, or send him to the minors?

Exactly

This presumption that rookies or youngsters unable to crack the top 6 is nonsense. 95% of all NHL teams have a 20 year old in their top 6. To think Suzuki or Poehling couldnt make the top 6 out of camp because they deserved it through MERIT and not necessity is ridiculous. 

On another note MB interviewed today basically said Poehling made the team but the contracts and injury derailed him temporarily (paraphrasing). 

MB also said quote "hes not staying for long" so is a trade on the horizon?

I don’t know what’s being argued. The tougher it is to earn a spot, the better. Even at the cost of saving a place for a youngster. This is an off the top of the head comparison but I’d rather have Joe Pavelski or Brendan Gallagher as our second line right wing, for instance, than Nick Suzuki this year. This is even though I may not want to include Nick Suzuki in a trade for Pavelski. This is just an example. I know not many teams have that luxury.

It’s no secret that someone like Victor Mete became a 1st pairing defenseman at a young age out of necessity so it’s happened on our team before. We also have unused cap space for a third year or so, and so that surfaces the point of having more spots available even further.

All I said is that it is not unexpected that rookies would make the team because we did not make many key off season moves. In the short term, I view this as a slightly negative thing but if it’s part of the process, it will eventually pay dividends. If Suzuki puts up 60 points, which is not an expectation but merely an opinion of what a top 6 winger could bring, then this point is absolutely moot. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t know what’s being argued. The tougher it is to earn a spot, the better. Even at the cost of saving a place for a youngster. This is an off the top of the head comparison but I’d rather have Joe Pavelski or Brendan Gallagher as our second line right wing, for instance, than Nick Suzuki this year. This is even though I may not want to include Nick Suzuki in a trade for Pavelski. This is just an example. I know not many teams have that luxury.

It’s no secret that someone like Victor Mete became a 1st pairing defenseman at a young age out of necessity so it’s happened on our team before. We also have unused cap space for a third year or so, and so that surfaces the point of having more spots available even further.

All I said is that it is not unexpected that rookies would make the team because we did not make many key off season moves. In the short term, I view this as a slightly negative thing but if it’s part of the process, it will eventually pay dividends. If Suzuki puts up 60 points, which is not an expectation but merely an opinion of what a top 6 winger could bring, then this point is absolutely moot. 

If you keep signing the Pavelski's and there is no spot for Suzuki to win, even if he comes in and has a good camp... then you risk the player stagnating and not progressing and developing. 

I agree Mete was forced into a spot out of necessity. 

But I don't see the two situations as the same, the depth of the team has changed. 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Exactly

This presumption that rookies or youngsters unable to crack the top 6 is nonsense. 95% of all NHL teams have a 20 year old in their top 6. To think Suzuki or Poehling couldnt make the top 6 out of camp because they deserved it through MERIT and not necessity is ridiculous. 

On another note MB interviewed today basically said Poehling made the team but the contracts and injury derailed him temporarily (paraphrasing). 

MB also said quote "hes not staying for long" so is a trade on the horizon?

A trade is possible. 

COuld also be Bergevin just acknowledging that Poehling is the first callup and it is the NHL and injuries are inevitable. Depth isn't a bad thing.  Evans is probably pretty close to NHL ready (though behind Poehling) and Hudon could get a look if he's scoring in Laval.  There is also weise and Peca.  

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

We also have unused cap space for a third year or so, and so that surfaces the point of having more spots available even further.

We're at about 94% of cap. I don't know whether 92%, 94% or 96% is the right number, but for sure I would not want to be at 100% without a good reason (and good value) to spend that remaining cap space. Having some space available gives us the capability to execute a trade that increases our total AAV, whether now or in mid-season; if we're fully maxed out, Bergevin's hands will be tied even if an opportunity presents itself.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We're at about 94% of cap. I don't know whether 92%, 94% or 96% is the right number, but for sure I would not want to be at 100% without a good reason (and good value) to spend that remaining cap space. Having some space available gives us the capability to execute a trade that increases our total AAV, whether now or in mid-season; if we're fully maxed out, Bergevin's hands will be tied even if an opportunity presents itself.

Habs apparently have $5,571,192 in cap space. Enough to add a significant piece.

I like your logic, but then again the Habs have not discernibly improved relative to last season. When I raised this issue during the summer I was told the season hadn't started yet. Well, the season is starting and we still have a Grand Canyon at LD and no obvious improvement up front. It's fine saying we have "room to maneuver." But if you don't actually maneuver, then what good is it?

They are arguably the 5th best team in there division, 

Playoffs dont seem realistic, 

Shaw moving out will hurt this team, not enough size and sand paper in the lineup ( I know its the new nhl) 

40 minutes ago, Chris said:

Shaw moving out will hurt this team, not enough size and sand paper in the lineup ( I know its the new nhl) 

Playoffs are "realistic" this year just as they were last year. I don't see the team as worse than the 2018 iteration; but it's also not obviously improved. So the safe prediction would be bubble team, just like last year. This seems to be perfectly wonderful to most Habs fans, who have fallen so dismally low in their expectations as to repose ecstatic hopes on a good prospect pool, albeit one lacking in prospective superstars, and in the belief that Shea Weber is miraculously immune from aging. Colour me skeptical. A middling future awaits, I suspect - as a good team but not a high-end contender; but this year we will likely be less than that.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Habs apparently have $5,571,192 in cap space. Enough to add a significant piece.

I like your logic, but then again the Habs have not discernibly improved relative to last season. When I raised this issue during the summer I was told the season hadn't started yet. Well, the season is starting and we still have a Grand Canyon at LD and no obvious improvement up front. It's fine saying we have "room to maneuver." But if you don't actually maneuver, then what good is it?

3 hours ago, Chris said:

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Playoffs are "realistic" this year just as they were last year. I don't see the team as worse than the 2018 iteration; but it's also not obviously improved. So the safe prediction would be bubble team, just like last year. This seems to be perfectly wonderful to most Habs fans, who have fallen so dismally low in their expectations as to repose ecstatic hopes on a good prospect pool, albeit one lacking in prospective superstars, and in the belief that Shea Weber is miraculously immune from aging. Colour me skeptical. A middling future awaits, I suspect - as a good team but not a high-end contender; but this year we will likely be less than that.

2018-19 Montreal Canadiens Opening Day Roster:

Forwards
Joel Armia.         
Paul Byron
Phillip Danault
Max Domi
Jonathan Drouin
Brendan Gallagher
Charles Hudon____________>Weal 
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Artturi Lehkonen
Matthew Peca___________> Cousins
Tomas Plekanec________> Thompson
Nikita Scherbak_________> 
Andrew Shaw__________>Suzuki
Tomas Tatar

Defencemen
Karl Alzner_______>Chariot
Jordie Benn______>Weber
Noah Juulsen_____>Fleury
Victor Mete
Xavier Ouellet______>Kulak
Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly

_______>Folin

Goaltenders
Antti Niemi________>KingCaid
Carey Price

We are vastly improved......

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

2018-19 Montreal Canadiens Opening Day Roster:

Forwards
Joel Armia.         
Paul Byron
Phillip Danault
Max Domi
Jonathan Drouin
Brendan Gallagher
Charles Hudon____________>Weal 
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Artturi Lehkonen
Matthew Peca___________> Cousins
Tomas Plekanec________> Thompson
Nikita Scherbak_________> 
Andrew Shaw__________>Suzuki
Tomas Tatar

Defencemen
Karl Alzner_______>Chariot
Jordie Benn______>Weber
Noah Juulsen_____>Fleury
Victor Mete
Xavier Ouellet______>Kulak
Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly

_______>Folin

Goaltenders
Antti Niemi________>KingCaid
Carey Price

We are vastly improved......

Have we improved enough to move past TBL, Laughs, Boston, or even Florida who finished behind us last year.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Have we improved enough to move past TBL, Laughs, Boston, or even Florida who finished behind us last year.

I will be able to tell you that after, uhh, another 82 games or so.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I will be able to tell you that after, uhh, another 82 games or so.

You actually need 82 games to figure that out???

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You actually need 82 games to figure that out???

I recall that's how long it took last season for us to know whether we made the playoffs or not.