Prediction: Crosby will end up in...?

Psycing

Where oh where will he go?

So common guys, fearless predictions here, which team ball do you think will roll out first?

Macaskill's fearless prediction: San Jose

Why? Just because it probably won't happen.

So lets hear it... what do YOU think?

Call me a horrible Habs fan if you will, but I hate the Ranger$ more. I fear he'll end up there.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't go the Rangers or Kings. With the way the lottery is setup, it benefits the Rangers the most. They're the two biggest markets in the league, population wise, you gotta figure one of them will get him.

Yet again, I gots this little voice in the back of my head that says he'll be a BlackHawk.

I think Crosby has to go to a strong hockey market. If he goes to Nashville or Atlanta, it'll be a waste IMO.

Any of the original 6, Canadian teams or big markets like Dallas, Colorado, Philly, LA, Minnesota, would be a great place for him IMO.

[Edited on 2005/7/14 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Trizzak

If it's rigged?

Columbus

Why do you think the NHL would rig it to get Crosby in Columbus? Wouldn't it make more sense to rig it to put him in a bigger market, like LA or NY?

Like Leafs-Sucks said, I'd rather have him in a big market. If he's not going to play for the Habs, let him help the NHL be stronger in the US. And I'm thinking about a team in the New York area. Crosby can help the NHL a lot. We have to face it, canadians teams area already sold to hockey. Still, it'd be amazing to see him in a Habs jersey. I'm sure if it's not this year, it'll surely be when he becomes an UFA (for the 2nd time)

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

If it's rigged?

Columbus

Why do you think the NHL would rig it to get Crosby in Columbus? Wouldn't it make more sense to rig it to put him in a bigger market, like LA or NY?

I say that because Columbus needs the fans and Crosby will bring in anyone just from people saying "Apparently this guy is tremendous, maybe we should check him out..."

Not Columbus? How about Carolina? Florida? All those places that shouldn't have hockey teams. So I say "If it's rigged" based on Bettman wanting to create a hockey town.

CBJ has alot of good young players like Nash, Zherdev and Klesla, if people don't wanna pay to go see them then they're nuts. Not to mention, I believe Marc Denis is the most underrated player in the league. I think CBJ is an underrated team and if they get it together, they could make the playoffs.

I thought up a system for the lottery that is similiar to the current one but tweeked a little bit.

-Every teams starts off with 4 balls in the drums. Each teams losses 1 ball for each time they've made the playoffs each of the last 3 seasons. And each team losses 1 ball for each time they've had the #1 overall pick in the last 3 drafts.

Yes very similiar to the current system. However here is the catch

-Teams who've made the playoffs a minimum of twice over the last three seasons cannot win Crosby. OR teams who've made the final four over the last three seasons.

-The only teams who can win it are ones who missed the playoffs in 04 and twice over the last three season and who didn't make it the final four.

For example, say the Red Wings win. The highest they can pick is #3.

Say Carolina wins or Minny, since they made it to the final four the highest they can pick is #3.

So basically the only teams who can win it are:

-Atlanta

-Buffalo

-Chicago

-Columbus

-Edmonton

-Florida

-LA

-Rangers

-Coyotes

-Penguins

-Capitals

I am sure we can all agree for the most part that those are the weaker teams and are the ones who should have a shot at Crosby. It's not perfect, but atleast it serves it's purpose. The curent system does not work. I firmly believe Detroit or Philly or Tampa have no business having a chance to get Crosby.

With the new system (from what I can grasp), teams will all be made more equal with all the buy-outs and signings that are going to occur.

So if you were to let all of this happen before the draft, then on paper, all 30 teams should be somewhat closer to each other in, lets say, "chance at winning the cup".

This is the situation desired by all the owners anyways, that every team will have an equal shot. (weather or not this will be evident after all the UFA buy-outs/signings is complete, we'll have to wait and see)

Anywayz, back to Crosby. Under this system every team should be on somewhat of a more equal playing field. Because of this, the men in charge believe that every team should have at least a fraction of a shot at obtaining him.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, don't really know how much of it is true valid, but it helps me sleep a bit better at night. :P

Either way, I do have to agree that the system is faulty. starting would 4 balls would have made a lot more sense.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

I am sure we can all agree for the most part that those are the weaker teams and are the ones who should have a shot at Crosby. It's not perfect, but atleast it serves it's purpose. The curent system does not work. I firmly believe Detroit or Philly or Tampa have no business having a chance to get Crosby.

No, I cant agree with that, I cant agree with that at all. So because these teams sucked in the pre-lockout world they should now get a shot at Crosby? I dont think so.

Who knows what the 04-05 season would of looked like had it been played, some of those Crosby-eligible teams could of made the playoffs, some could of possibly gone far, you just never know. Look how fast teams rise and fall in this league (Washington is a good example, Carolina is another for teams from top to bottom. Tampa went from the bottom to winning the cup in 2 years)

I am 500% against rewarding previously bad teams by giving them a shot at Crosby. Screw them. Take the pens for instance, they've got ton of cap space under the new CBA, and will likely sign high profile UFA's ... Why should they have a better shot at Crosby?

I'm not sure why you thought we'd all agree with that Leafs Suck. I'm sure most would disagree personally.

[Edited on 2005-7-15 by puck7x]

After the CBA was accepted in principle, I was watching a sports news show on RDS.

They did a mock draft lottery with the same 'chances' for each team.

The team they picked is the same one that I predict will get Sydney Crosby....

CALGARY FLAMES (to the sorrow of the NHL mucky-mucks... and me too, by the way.)

In some ways, it would probably be better for him to work in a small market like that. The INTENSE pressure that would be on him on a regular basis in teams like Toronto, Montreal, New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit and other 'high profile' teams might make an Alexandre Daigle or Doug Wickenheiser out of him. (I always wonder how Denis Savard would have progressed under the intensely critical microscope of teams like that, especially Montreal at the time... would Wickenheiser have blossomed in Chicago??? We'll never know.

Originally posted by shortcat1

In some ways, it would probably be better for him to work in a small market like that. The INTENSE pressure that would be on him on a regular basis in teams like Toronto, Montreal, New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Detroit and other 'high profile' teams might make an Alexandre Daigle or Doug Wickenheiser out of him. (I always wonder how Denis Savard would have progressed under the intensely critical microscope of teams like that, especially Montreal at the time... would Wickenheiser have blossomed in Chicago??? We'll never know.

The great ones can handle the pressure, the great ones thrive under pressure. I beleive Crosby would do just fine under intense pressure.

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by shortcat1

The great ones can handle the pressure, the great ones thrive under pressure. I beleive Crosby would do just fine under intense pressure.

Yeah, I think the same, he'll do fine. Crosby has ALREADY went under a lot of pressure, more even that Daigle got his entire career, and he's doing very good. I'm 100% sure it'll continue this fall in the NHL, where he'll be a great player with an immediate impact. Crosby is no way like Daigle. He's surprisingly very mature and is doing very good with the media. He has a confidence in himself that makes me think of Tiger Woods or Martin Brodeur. The team that will get him will be really lucky and blessed.

Where is Alexandre Daigle nowadays?

He played for the Wild last (NHL) season and had a pretty solid comeback season with 20 goals and 51 points.

BTW. I say Crosby will end up with the Flames ...

[Edited on 16-7-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]