Chances of Kovy signing with Habs?

Doktor Kosmos

So, what do you guys think? Is there a chance he'll sign with the Canadiens?

[Edited on 2005/7/13 by Doktor Kosmos]

If we buy-out Brisebois, then the chance of this happening most likely increases. However, for some reason I just don't see this happening?

I mean, I'd love to see Kovy put on the bleu-blanc-rouge again, but sometime tells me he'd sign for less to play beside Lemieux again in Pittsburg.

I'd like to find a D-man somewhere instead, and some forward depth, so that we can give the young guys some playing time.

That way, if they don't produce, we'd have someone to fill in.

i dont see kovy signing with montreal either...i also see him signing in pittsburgh to play with mario and mark recchi...

id like to see scott niedermayer play for montreal...but what are the chances of that..

wouldnt it be cool to pair up souray with niedermayer on the back end while koivu, zednik and crosby(hopefully) play the top line?

We have some special rights vis a vis Kovalev, correct? Can someone tell me what the situation is regarding his contract negotiations, can we match offers or what? Also, do we get compensation from the Rangers if he goes elsewhere this year?

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

We have some special rights vis a vis Kovalev, correct? Can someone tell me what the situation is regarding his contract negotiations, can we match offers or what? Also, do we get compensation from the Rangers if he goes elsewhere this year?

Well, I've heard lots of rumours (and read a Kovalev interview) that state that he would like to return to the habs, and the habs would like to have him back. Just today on Sportsnet they said Montreal would likely re-sign Kovalev (take that for what its worth).

If you wanna quote me as a source, go ahead. I'm ready to bet that Kovalev is coming to MTL. I can't be more positive about that... you can just say : " well alex told me that Kov was coming to montreal" and people will understand :D :eyes:

Seriously, just go in habs article archieves on TSN.ca

-Koivu : REALLY appreciated playing with such a talented guy, yadayada, Kovalev is my hero.

-CJ : When you have such a guy on your team, makes your job easier, yadayada, Kovalev is my key player.

-Kovalev : MTL is the best place I've played up to now, fans supported me like crazy, standing O from the beginning, yadayada, I want to win in mtl. no more of that Rags crap for me I'm already rich (well you'd have guessed that that last one is not from him :D )

Wanna make calculations?

YP 3M gone, replaced by Bubba Bonk 3M, even

Briser 4M, replaced by 1M buyout, +3M another D, even

here is where it gets interesting

Juneau 2M, replaced by begin 600k

Dackell 1.4M was benched, not replaced

Dykhuis 1.6M was benched, not replaced

Traverse 800k was benched, not replaced

you wanna hear another one? there's been a rollback and new standards are set.

hence

Koivu 4.5M to 3.5M

Theo 6M to 4M

Did I mention that the habs were only at 43 with all of that (crap)? now, count fast, you've got 10M removed just from what I listed... but these are just the obvious ones, you could maybe find another 3-5M this way...

So that the habs (who will no doubt spend 39M) have nearly 10M of spending room with most of their players signed (try it before shooting me)

Why the hell wouldn't they bring back Kovalev??? cause perez is ready ? sorry but... *caugh* ######off *caugh* No rookie can immediatly replace a superstar like Kovalev. Even when he wasn't producing (12 games at the end of the season) he was creating opportunities for his team mates... one example was when he was playing with Ribs and Ryder, went behind the net, got the Dman out of his skates, neutralised two players at once so that Ribs and Ryder were all alone, just had to get the puck and score... which they did... Kov got no assist on the play.

Are you questioning BG's judgement there? I think you are? go back to the baker now! :D

Seriously, my take is that Balej is a bust... time will tell, but the only difference between marcel hossa and balej, is that hossa is big...

We sometimes get overimpressed by AHL stats... must I remind to you all that Ben Gratton and Craig Darby are perenial AHL scoring championship winners. So what if Balej is one too...

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

So in the end Balej and a 2nd for a 6.6 million $ 1st round win vs. the Bruins. I'd like to have more of this ... :lol:

I look at Balej and I see a guy that I'm all too familiar with on the Habs:

Small but talented.

How many more small but talented guys can fit on one team? Even if he turns into Pavel Messier Gretzky with the Rangers, he probably wouldn't have with the Habs playing with other small but talented guys.

Balej and a second rounder for Kovalev and the possibility he'll stick around? I'll take it.

Originally posted by alexstream

Are you questioning BG's judgement there? I think you are? go back to the baker now! :D

Seriously, my take is that Balej is a bust... time will tell, but the only difference between marcel hossa and balej, is that hossa is big...

We sometimes get overimpressed by AHL stats... must I remind to you all that Ben Gratton and Craig Darby are perenial AHL scoring championship winners. So what if Balej is one too...

Yes you say it, only time will tell ... *lol*

How can you already say that Balej is a bust? Higgins, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn also hasn't showed more than he so far but nobody is saying that they're a bust ... :P

We'll still have to wait for years and then we can judge if the trade was good, if the players are a bust or not.

For me it's stupid to trade for a potential UFA (I'm sure Gainey and Co. knew that he was going to test the market). Right now we've the same chance to land guys like Palffy or Demitra than we've to "re-sign" Kovalev. And as for the blabla ILoveMontrealSoMuchThing, yes, it's only blabla ... ;)

We'll see if he re-signs ... it would be great to get such a highly skilled player like Kovalev but it won't be easy to get him (the same goes for Demitra or Palffy or anyone else in this category).

PS.: You'd love my baker wh. when you'll meet her (if you'll ever have the chance to *fg*) ... ;)

Isnt Sidney Crosby a small talented player like Balej and those others that u say wont make it?

I bet if we get Crosby he will become the new Alexandre Daigle. Wouldnt be too happy about that :P

[Edited on 2005/7/14 by Dalhabs]

I'm of 2 minds when it comes to Kovalev:

- on the one hand, I can't recall the last time we had a player this incredibly talented wearing the Sainted uniform. He's such a playmaker, it's just fabulous to watch.

- OTOH, he's a bit of a headcase, like we saw in the playoffs. If he went thru a tough stretch and the infamous Molson Centre fans started doing their booing schtick with him, I suspect Kovalev would melt down in a hurry and become a huge headache. So he scares me in that respect.

So, my take: if we get him, great. If we don't, we dodged a bullet. :)

I think we will see many transactions the next months. I don't expect Kovalev to end up i Montreal but it would be nice and in the end I think it is his call. The way I see it he has 3 choices.

1. Montreal. He said he enjoyed it.

2. Pittsburgh. If Mario will play he might want to end his career with a friend.

3. Contender. After Kovalevs shows in the World Cup and World Championship he might want to win the cup and I think his stocks are higher.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

Isnt Sidney Crosby a small talented player like Balej and those others that u say wont make it?

I bet if we get Crosby he will become the new Alexandre Daigle. Wouldnt be too happy about that :P

I never said small talented players won't make it. I even said Balej could become a great player.

But I think small guys flourish better with big guys around them (wearing the same jersey of course.)

So to reiterate more clearly, I think Balej and Crosby would be better players with a team with bigger players. When you think of the Habs, "BIG" never comes up.

Put Crosby beside Bertuzzi. ###### me that's unstoppable.

In fact, if the Habs draft Crosby they better trade for a talented power forward.

Getting Kovalev was a boost for the team, the fans and the franchise all at once.

Gainey could' nt have done any better than that to bring back the CH as the center piece of Montreal's soul.

In winning the Boston serie after trailling 3 to 1, made this CH edition the first to ever acheived such feat within the history of that oldest of franchise in sport.

The most important part of that was that Bob was swift to act and Gillett willing to follow and that those two....unlike moving pieces like Kovy or Baleg...will be with us for the long run.

That said, will Kovy be back ?

No doubt in my ming about Gainey' s intention about giving Koivu as good a winger as possible.

I also think that Gillett would never opposed spending for the good of the team.

Therefore I see Kovy as the most likely players to sign here, not because he is gona be cheaper to sign than the other plausible suspect the like of Demitra, Palfy or Murray but because of its link he now have with Montreal and Gainey's readyness to get someone that talented for its first line.

He'd be great to have. The chemistry seems to have worked well for the 'K' line.

I'm aware of the concerns about him and I'm certain that Gainey is aware also.

I don't think the Canadiens need to have Kovaley they have their own home-grown talent - maybe not as talented but likely hungrier.

Will Gainey try to get him? Likely if he can at a reasonable cost (that's saying the obvious, I know) but I don't think that it's a necessary priority for Gainey to get him. Gainey and Boivin themselves said so in a couple of interviews. They talked about no changes of consequence being done and that strongly meant free-agent signings.

(On the other hand, Kovalev may be, for them, still part of the team so they will endeavour to sign him for that reason.)

These may have been smokescreens to fend off the media's curiosity. Time will tell, obviously and the time that will tell is short - only a few days, I understand.

'' No changes of consequence'' is not what I heard them say with the french spg journalists.

I heard, buyouts and more than just interest to get new players via UFA or even throught exchange. A talk with Kovy was also in the planning.

BG said that fans would like to have stars players but they also would like to have a winning team and that will be his own approach when selecting or moving players....which they where planning to do.

Among the highly rated wingers Kovy remain the most plausible one the Ch would be able to lure in.