If you were Gainey, what would you do?

puck7x

I would buy out Patrice and Rivet. Sign two solid D men or give Boullion a full time position.

Sign Kovy. Bring up a couple of youngsters to gain experience.

The Habs are in pretty good shape. Getting rid of two big contracts in Rivet and Patrice would certainly help the situation. The Habs also have to sign Koivu and Ryder.

Whats going on with the Perrault situation? Is he outta Habland this year?

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Perhaps we can also change our UFA list:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=627

I could do that if you want.

That would be excellent. When I was talking about free agents with my friend (alas, a Leafs fan) I brought up that article as a reference. He looked at the list and said "Apparently Montreal fans don't just focus on Montreal"

I liked that. He cares about who's coming to Toronto to help them win. I care about who goes to Montreal, and who goes to LA with an overpayed deal (Conroy :nono:), or how many underachievers currently are going through the motions in the Rangers roster.

It's nice that this site caters not just to Habs fans, but hockey fans as well.

Just read some on Markus Näslund and Peter Forsberg.

Forsberg just might have to leave Denver and Colorado. It's him or Adam Foote. Forsberg has a injury-history and Milan Hejduk and other younger Avs should have a higher priotity. Foote is a defencemen and I think they should keep him.

Forsberg has said that he wan't to win another cup and will try to sign with a team that's a contender. And he has also said that he would like to re-unite with Markus Näslund.

The line with Markus Näslund, Peter Forsberg and our own Niklas Sundström still has the scoring record for a line in the World Juniors.

Näslund said he want's to stay in Vancouver but a listening to others. He has also mentioned playing with Peter since again. They should have done just that this winter but Näslund arived to MoDo just days after Forsberg had his season ruind by an injury.

What do Montreal Canadiens need to be a cup contender?

2 wingers for Saku Koivu and a defenceman? Maybe. But we also end up with Sidney Crosby...

But imagine if we could land Forsberg and Näslund? They would come to city where hockey is everything. Just like home in Örnsköldsvik (By the way, if you break up the citys name in Örn-skölds-vik you get "Eagle-shield-bay")

With them in the team the Habs would be a cup contender.

Forsberg - Koivu - Näslund

Zednik - Ribeiro - Ryder

Sundström - Dowd - Perezhogin

Higgins - Begin - Plekanec

Try to deal Bonk and Bulis.

[Edited on 2005/7/20 by ch_nl]

Actually Forsberg has played a lot on the left wing in Colorado.

I would even go so far to say that left wing is the best position for him.

He doesn't get as much hits when playing on the wing and all of his briliant play comes when he has the puck along the sides.

Since both Forsberg and Naslund will likely get MAX deals there is no way the Habs could afford them...nor should they even try to have both of them IMO.

Forsberg is a walking injury and while I love Naslund's game I think that we could find a better way to spend 15 million in the new CBA.

And yes I realise that you are working off a theory that Forsberg will accept less $$$ to play for a contender with Naslund.

This team has MAYBE $9 million to spend and about 4-5 roster spots to fill. While I think most of that money will be used on 2 players that still doesn't even come close to Naslund or Forsberg.

ch_nl, thanks for correcting me.

I wonder how much Montreal appears to be a contender to outsiders... Even adding Naslund and Forsberg, you would still need 1-2 new d-men to make ourselves cup-worthy (depending on how strongly the cap effects parity), I dont know how well equiped montreal is to catapult in the standings via this method.

Originally posted by simonus

ch_nl, thanks for correcting me.

I wonder how much Montreal appears to be a contender to outsiders... Even adding Naslund and Forsberg, you would still need 1-2 new d-men to make ourselves cup-worthy (depending on how strongly the cap effects parity), I dont know how well equiped montreal is to catapult in the standings via this method.

I think if Kovalev resigns we move 10+ points up in the standings, middle of the playoff pack, and that's contender country!

Off topic but an interesting point under the new CBA mobile players will be picking where they want to go instead of simply heading wherever the most money is, because the cap will narrow the gap in offers.

I wonder, can someone tell me how significantly Quebec (Canadian) taxes effect players' salaries?

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

Whoah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. :o

Why not? The thread's name is "If you were Gainey, what would you do?" after all...

Dubble-post...

I do see a lot of problems with this but if, just like the thread says, if I were Bob Gainey I would check this possibility.

Forsberg might be the most ungreedy player in the leauge. Im not even sure he will leave Denver. He has already accepted to lower his salary in order to have Sakic in town. He might do it again. And therefore it is also possible that Näslund ends up in Denver and Hejduk leavs for Vancouver. Or?

Originally posted by simonus

don't many players not actually reside in canada? I think only alberta prorates their income tax against days in province, but I could be wrong.

I'd dare to say that it's just a lame excuse.

ok the taxes are higher than anyplace else... but the income is in US $ and the exepenses are in CDN $, so that's a huge gain...

Also, next I checked, Quintal had a huge house in Boucherville worth in the $800k (canadian$ or 650k US)... Where in NY or LA could he buy a similar mini castle for less than 2M (us$) that's a crappy real life example to show that Life is waaaay more expensive in the states...

Thanks guys but I still don't get it -- I want to know if Player A is offered US$2million by Boston and also by the Habs, which contract gives him the better take-home pay. Does it depend on citizenship and where he lives? If he's a single Canadian citizen and he moved to Boston he'd have more money after taxes, right?

I know that Americans living abroad still have to file US income taxes on anything over a $70,000 excemption. Canadians living abroad don't have to file Canadian taxes. I wonder about Europeans?

As I said I think the competing offers on a given player are going to get closer because of the cap, so what other considerations will players make when choosing which team they want to play with -- not including things like whether they have friends on the team or like the coach or want to be with a contender etc, mainly the financial considerations:

1. Taxes.

2. Cost of living (does/can the team pay for or subsidize accomodations?).

3. Potential for extra income through product endorsements (a star in Chicago or Toronto can get a lot to endorse, say, a restaurant chain's local campaign -- can a player in Pheonix get as much to do the same? What about Montreal, how much does Theodore get for endorsements?).

Wondering how Montreal stacks up for a player who is looking at these considerations.

[Edited on 22-7-05 by JeanLucPilon]

Originally posted by ch_nl
Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

Whoah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. :o

Why not? The thread's name is "If you were Gainey, what would you do?" after all...

Fair enough. Carry on.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

Thanks guys but I still don't get it -- I want to know if Player A is offered US$2million by Boston and also by the Habs, which contract gives him the better take-home pay. Does it depend on citizenship and where he lives? If he's a single Canadian citizen and he moved to Boston he'd have more money after taxes, right?

I know that Americans living abroad still have to file US income taxes on anything over a $70,000 excemption. Canadians living abroad don't have to file Canadian taxes. I wonder about Europeans?

As I said I think the competing offers on a given player are going to get closer because of the cap, so what other considerations will players make when choosing which team they want to play with -- not including things like whether they have friends on the team or like the coach or want to be with a contender etc, mainly the financial considerations:

1. Taxes.

2. Cost of living (does/can the team pay for or subsidize accomodations?).

3. Potential for extra income through product endorsements (a star in Chicago or Toronto can get a lot to endorse, say, a restaurant chain's local campaign -- can a player in Pheonix get as much to do the same? What about Montreal, how much does Theodore get for endorsements?).

Wondering how Montreal stacks up for a player who is looking at these considerations.

[Edited on 22-7-05 by JeanLucPilon]

My parents are canadian citizens who live in the us, make more than 70,000 and certainly dont file canadian taxes.

I imagine that a player could make more endorsement money in montreal than chicago (where I currently live)... hockey is getting to be dead around here.

I've lived in both quebec and massachusetts. Taxes at theat level of income are certainly lower in boston than montreal. Cost of living is higher. Its a lot more expensive to buy a mansion in cambridge than westmount.

kkkk if i were gainy wow major changes

kk well first thing most i will give brizz would be 1.2 not a penny more then on my lines i would try and get kovalev , neuminen(how ever u spell his name) ,zubov gonchar , and umm palffy or murray now who would i get ride of well one person would be boullion or put him in minors... rivet i would buy out right away because for his salery u can get alot more like zednik is makin less then him cammon... ok well this would be the lines

Murray - Koivu - Kovalev

Zednik - Rebiero - Palffy

Pherizhogan - Bonk -Ryder

Dagenais - Begin - Sundstrum

on defense

Souray -Komisarek

Gonchar - Markov

Brisboise (if signed) - zubov

kk well first thing most i will give brizz would be 1.2 not a penny more then on my lines i would try and get kovalev , neuminen(how ever u spell his name) ,zubov gonchar , and umm palffy or murray now who would i get ride of well one person would be boullion or put him in minors... rivet i would buy out right away because for his salery u can get alot more like zednik is makin less then him cammon... ok well this would be the lines

Murray - Koivu - Kovalev

on defense

Souray -Komisarek

Gonchar - Markov

Murray - Koivu - Kovalev

on defense

Souray -Komisarek

Gonchar - Markov

In Net

Theo

Back Up: Danis (yes young but will be awsome and need experiance):hlogo:

:ghg:

[Edited on 2005/7/24 by koivu-11]

so you want to sign murray, kovalev, palfy, gonchar, and zubov?

you want to have no checking line, you want to stick dagenais on a grind line?

You think komisarek is a first pair defenseman and you want to stick zubov in the 6 spot?

Are you absolutely sure?

ok well this is something i just like thought of fast fast on the lines but those would be the players i would love to get in mtl on attack its good because dagenais not good enough for higher lines and hes big so its good teams wit some big lines and begin never quites on defense i trust claude julien would know wat to do if he gets those players but i see u have nothing wrtong wit havin danis on back up