Can Kastitsyn make the habs...

puck7x

For this coming season?

Some people seem to think so...

The redline report said he was the 3rd most NHL ready prospect behind Zherdev and Michalek ...

Gainey thinks he has a chance (translation borrowed from another board... thanks)

The boss of the Habs opened the door for the newly drafted Andrei Kastsitsyn. "Usually, young hockey players of 18 years of age continue their learning in the junior leagues, but there are exceptions. We will see in our case. Our scouts seemed very suprise he was still avaible at #10"

Its highly unlikely at this point but it would be cool to have an 18 year old kid make the lineup right after he was drafted , of course if he did make the lineup I'd try to make it as pressure-free as possible , play him with defensively responsible players etc.

It would be weird if Kastitsyn made the team before Perezhogin. I wish we'd sign Perezhogin already , we only have until July 15th to do so ...

[Edited on 2003-6-23 by puck7x]

I hope they get Perezhogin under contract soon too. They've got Milroy and Archer done (for obvious reasons), reinked Beauchemin and Fichaud, got Higgins to leave early...I would assume that Perezhogin would be their next priority, given the approaching deadline.

It also does seems as though management really wants Kastsitsyn in the development camp at the very least. It'd be pretty cool to have all of the Habs 2001, 2002, and 2003 1st rounders in camp. And speaking of first rounders, I also though it was pretty cool for Gainey to show a little faith in Hainsey when he mentioned the young core of Markov, Komisarek, and Hainsey for the Habs defence. It'd be nice to see Ron stick with the club this year. So let's see, if Hainsey does indeed make the Habs roster, that means Hossa, Hainsey, Komisarek, and Ward should very likely be all there...with potential for Perezhogin and a slight chance for Kastsitsyn. That would also be pretty cool to have 6 Habs 1st rounders playing for them when the season began. Include Koivu in that mix from 93...and Higgins this year or next, and that could be potentially 8 former first round picks on the roster. Go first rounders, Go!

And slightly off-topic, I'm thinking that the waiver draft this year should be pretty interesting. Hopefully the Habs can lose some deadwood there this year.

Yeah I agree it was refreshing to hear Gainey mention Hainsey (in a positive way) , its a nice change from what AS says about him :) ... I really hope Ron puts on a show at training camp and earns himself a spot...

yeah all those first rounders would be great to have in the lineup , the habs really need an infusion of youth... the team looked dead last year , we need to energy of young players... I dont even care if we lose a few (alot) of games while they are "still learning" , it will be worth it...

As for the waiver draft , its a really funny situation this year ... The habs have a GOOD problem on their hands , they have too many spots to use and not enough good players to use them on... lol

Most of our good young players are not eligible for the waiver draft (Komisarek , Hainsey , Hossa , ) .... :D ... So we have to decide which overpaid bums we want to protect... Do we HAVE to meet the protection limit? cant we leave a few extra uprotected? lol

[Edited on 2003/6/23 by puck7x]

I don't think the waiver draft will be all that interesting... as puck7x said we know we're not gonna lose anyone we don't want to lose.

As for other teams... with the new CBA a year away I'm guessing a lot of teams will expose overpaid players hoping someone will bite.

In the end nobody will want to add payroll, I predict one of the most inactive waiver drafts ever. :)

As for the original question of this thread, this was in the Gazette today:

Over the next three weeks, the Canadiens will be involved in negotiations with Russian Andrei Perezhogin, a first-round pick in 2001, and Kastsitsyn. All reports are that Perezhogin is ready to give the NHL a try after a solid season in the Russian Elite League.

Kastsitsyn is another matter. He went into the league as a question because there were reports that he was suffering from epilepsy. Those reports might have scared away some teams and the Canadiens were pleasantly surprised when Kastsitsyn was available with the 10th pick over-all.

The native of Belarus has indicated that he is a year or two away from the NHL but the Canadiens are hoping that he will attend their development camp next month. His performance there might result in both sides revising the timetable on his move to North America.

Gainey will have to decide.... time to go with the youth or "we'll get the best out of our vets", he has been saying both but it's an obvious contradiction of philosophies.

And if they don't make the club this year, then you have the debate of whether it's best for them to play RSL where the level of play is higher, or in the AHL where they can get a head start getting used to North-America's type of game, culture, and language.

For Kastistyn there is an incentive for him to sign now, before the new CBA is in effect.

<i>Over the next three weeks, the Canadiens will be involved in negotiations with Russian Andrei Perezhogin, a first-round pick in 2001, and Kastsitsyn. All reports are that Perezhogin is ready to give the NHL a try after a solid season in the Russian Elite League. </i>

Hmmm, I wonder if that is Alexander's brother? Seriously, I hope Gainey will go with Perezhogin, if they're able to get him over, and he has a successful camp. I would like to see the team give him every shot to make it.

As for Kastsitsyn (Habs names are getting harder and harder to type), does anyone know when the development camp starts? It would seem that it must start earlier than the 15th...

Originally posted by huzer does anyone know when the development camp starts? It would seem that it must start earlier than the 15th...

July 2-13th ...

Anyone going? I should... but I never do... lol

Originally posted by huzer

<i>Over the next three weeks, the Canadiens will be involved in negotiations with Russian Andrei Perezhogin, a first-round pick in 2001, and Kastsitsyn. All reports are that Perezhogin is ready to give the NHL a try after a solid season in the Russian Elite League. </i>

Hmmm, I wonder if that is Alexander's brother?

That's it... another Pat Hickey blunder, this guy makes at least one factual mistakes in most of his articles... I've noticed it for years.

Now I've had enough, I'm starting a Pat Hickey thread where I'll point out every blunder I happen to catch... you're welcomed to contribute :)

Here I am, chillin' at work, so I figured I'd do a little more reading on Kastsitsyn. I'm sure most of you have already read a ton on this kid, but the more I read, the more impressed I get. I don't think I read one "bad" scouting report on him. Redline leads the way with their impressions of him...

<i>"Our choice for biggest gainer on the charts is Andrei Kastsitsyn, the Belarussian winger who generally arrives at the net with all the speed and subtlety of a freight train. He was already high on our list, but after his valiant effort for a brutally undermanned squad, there's no way we can keep him out of our top 10, so he enters at #6."</i> That's from Jan 28th...so they bumped him up the charts since then.

Cool. Come on over, kid.

Originally posted by huzer

<i>"Our choice for biggest gainer on the charts is Andrei Kastsitsyn, the Belarussian winger who generally arrives at the net with all the speed and subtlety of a freight train. He was already high on our list, but after his valiant effort for a brutally undermanned squad, there's no way we can keep him out of our top 10, so he enters at #6."</i> That's from Jan 28th...so they bumped him up the charts since then.

Cool. Come on over, kid.

I love AK already , plus hearing comparisons to Havlat , or Forsberg makes me like him even more , although I think the Forsberg comparison is a bit of a stretch...

Question for everyone : You have 2 choices ...In the FUTURE Would you rather Kastitsyn plays in the AHL or remains in the RSL?

If he plays in the AHL he has an oppurtunity to get adjusted to the North American lifestyle , learn english , and learn the North American game...

But if he stays in Russia he plays in a league that is arguably better then the AHL , plus he gets to stay near home...

I'd pick the AHL , if I had to choose... But I hope he directly makes the jump from the RSL to the NHL.