Waivers/Waiver-Draft (00,01 draft picks)

puck7x

This is something I've been wondering about for the longest time. Which of our players on the farm will we HAVE to protect this year for the waiver draft? And which will be eligible for waivers when we send them down or call them up?

I know that last year (before the season that never happened) it was suspected that Hainsey and Hossa HAS to make the habs team, or we'd risk losing them. Turns out the season never happened, so we never found out the answer to our question...

I guess we'll find out this season. Hainsey/Hossa will have to make the big club, or else. Maybe we'll trade one of them if they cant win a spot on the team? Who knows.

Now that we're one year later, we have to worry about the 2001 picks that might now have to be protected or lost. This includes guys like Plekanec, Milroy and Archer. I know Plekanec has a great shot of making the habs, but I definitely cant say the same about the other 2, does this mean we'll likely lose them?

Alot of unanswered questions... Can anyone help me out?

[Edited on 2005-7-17 by puck7x]

Hainsey, Hossa, Shasby, Komisarek, Plekanec all need to clear waivers to be sent down. Guys on their rookie contracts don't need to go through waivers. Milroy, Larrivee, Michaud, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Lambert, Urquhart, Archer are all still playing under their rookie contract.

Archer, Milroy, Higgins, Larrivee, Michaud are in their final year, so next season they will have to clear waivers to play in the AHL.

Originally posted by montreal

Hainsey, Hossa, Shasby, Komisarek, Plekanec all need to clear waivers to be sent down. Guys on their rookie contracts don't need to go through waivers. Milroy, Larrivee, Michaud, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Lambert, Urquhart, Archer are all still playing under their rookie contract.

Archer, Milroy, Higgins, Larrivee, Michaud are in their final year, so next season they will have to clear waivers to play in the AHL.

Thanks Dan, that really clears it up.

Aside from Shasby... the other 4 could conceivably all make the 23-man roster.

Or Gainey could deal them... but it's no as if we're really under the gun and HAVE to deal someone or we lose him.

Of next year's crop... only Higgins & Larrivee would be worth worrying about IMO.

Thanks for the answer Dan.

I agree with Habs77, aside from Shasby the other 4 can make the habs lineup. Komisarek is a lock, Hainsey at this moment has a spot (He'll only keep that spot depending on if Gainey acquires a new D). Plekanec in my opinion has a spot, at worst as a spare forward. Hossa is the only question mark really, I wouldnt be surprised to see him traded, though I'd LOVE to see him get one more crack with the habs before that ever happened.

[Edited on 2005-7-17 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

The 2nd line LW spot, in my opinion, will be between Dagenais and Hossa. If Hossa can't beat out Dags, he'll be gone.

Your forgetting Perezhogin. He's 22 and ready... I think he'll take that spot.

Originally posted by Habs77
Originally posted by montreal

Thanks Dan, that really clears it up.

Aside from Shasby... the other 4 could conceivably all make the 23-man roster.

Or Gainey could deal them... but it's no as if we're really under the gun and HAVE to deal someone or we lose him.

Of next year's crop... only Higgins & Larrivee would be worth worrying about IMO.

Shasby if resigned would easily clear waivers and hopefully will get a spot with Hamilton, depending on how many players the Oilers send (i've heard it's going to be around 5 or 6, with JDD, Woywitka, Lynch being some names talked about in the media)

I do think the rest will all make the Habs, assuming we don't get any UFA's or trades.

As for the '06'-07 season, Higgins will be in the NHL, so he won't have to worry about being sent down. Larrivee will pass easily through waivers. But they have to keep Archer, who imo could turn out to be a very good AHLer which gives up RD defensive depth. Milroy will need this season to show he's worth a shot in the NHL. I have major doubts about him actually making the NHL in two years though.

Ferland is also in the same boat as Milroy, although a big season from him could show management he might be worth a shot on the 4th line perhaps. I also dont expect to see him in the NHL in two years but I do think he'll have a much better season which might earn him some time the following year.