Lottery will be televised

Mr. Nasty

TSN to show NHL Draft Lottery

TSN.ca Staff

7/19/2005 7:04:52 PM

The results of the NHL's entry draft lottery, and who gets the No. 1 overall pick, will be carried exclusively on The Sports Network in a special half-hour show on Friday at 4 p.m. (EST).

TSN, which is the rightsholder for the 2005 NHL entry draft in Ottawa on July 30, will carry the lottery event live from New York, where the NHL board of governors will be meeting to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement, approve rule changes for the 2005-06 season and conduct the lottery to determine the order of selection for the entire draft.

The big prize, of course, is talented youngster Sidney Crosby of the Rimouski Oceanic, whose scoring exploits have made him the clear No. 1 choice and a potential franchise player.

Every team in the NHL has a shot at winning that first overall pick in a slightly weighted lottery.

Related Info

Four teams (Buffalo, Columbus, the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh) have three balls in the lottery. Ten teams (Anaheim, Atlanta, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix) have two balls in the drum. The remaining 16 teams (Boston, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, New Jersy, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington) have one.

The team that gets the first pick overall won't pick again until 60th overall. The team that gets the 30th pick, at the end of the first round, gets the first pick (31st overall) in the second round in a "snake" draft system.

The anticipation of who'll pick first overall, and win the right to draft Crosby, is higher than it has ever been in NHL history.

I like the fact that the NHL will be filling draft positions from the thirty spot backwards to the number one pick.

That makes the teams with 2,3, and 4 balls that much more likely to be picked sooner.

Sid will undoubtedly go to the unheard of hockey towns of the southern U.S. and "rebuild the game" ala Gretzky if the NHL has a say in it [and likely does] but at least working backwards Montreal has a better chance of winning the # 1 pick then any multi-balled team.

:clap:

Originally posted by Habitforming

I like the fact that the NHL will be filling draft positions from the thirty spot backwards to the number one pick.

That makes the teams with 2,3, and 4 balls that much more likely to be picked sooner.

Sid will undoubtedly go to the unheard of hockey towns of the southern U.S. and "rebuild the game" ala Gretzky if the NHL has a say in it [and likely does] but at least working backwards Montreal has a better chance of winning the # 1 pick then any multi-balled team.

:clap:

Umm not too sure about this...

I believe what they mean is that TSN will announce the order from the 30th pick to the 1st pick. Thus to create more anticipation as they get closer and closer to the top pick.

When the lottery takes place, it will be done in order from 1st-30th, only this will as they said, be behind closed doors.

So the teams with 3 balls will still have a better shot at getting Crosby.

Huh?.. What are you talking about?

a) that makes no sense

B) where did you get that from?

Too bad Ill be working, why cant the NHL do something right and broadcast the lottery live and in primetime. This doesnt make any sense.

:wall:

Ill probably find out the lottery results on the way home from work. If the Habs get the top pick i could very well end up in a ditch on the side of the road, but it will be worth it.

:ghg:

Originally posted by Habs77

Huh?.. What are you talking about?

a) that makes no sense

B) where did you get that from?

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/183821.html

The misunderstanding comes from the article where they say they'll announce the results from the 30th draft pick to the 1st, Friday at 4pm.

The concern is if they are selecting the balls in that order (which wouldn't make sense at all) or if they are just telling the final result after previously taken the balls for position 1 to last.

If they start picking a ball for position #30 to the 1st, the team who has 3 balls has more chance to be selected for the late pick...:eyes:

Originally posted by sakiqc

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/183821.html

The misunderstanding comes from the article where they say they'll announce the results from the 30th draft pick to the 1st, Friday at 4pm.

The concern is if they are selecting the balls in that order (which wouldn't make sense at all) or if they are just telling the final result after previously taken the balls for position 1 to last.

If they start picking a ball for position #30 to the 1st, the team who has 3 balls has more chance to be selected for the late pick...:eyes:

I've seen people say they could inverse the number of balls... MTL would have 3 & NYR would have 1... then start picking at #30 and the odds would be right.

But that's not what will happen, the draw will be 1 to 30 behind closed doors... then the results will be revealed from 30 up to 1 on TSN.

Just like the NBA does it.

Bettman should know how it works, being an NBA alumni.

this message is circulation through msg boards accross the league:

THIS IS NOT A DRILL! ACTION IS NEEDED NOW!!!

According to sources at the NHL, as of this point, ESPN is not planning on airing the draft lottery on ESPN, ESPN 2, or ESPN News. You may not be able to see this event in the US.  We need to utilize all of our forces and get this changed immediately.  This should be on ESPN.  This Draft Lottery will be one of the greatest events in the history of our sport. Every hockey fan reading this has a serious shot at Sydney Crosby.

I am calling on you now to make your voice heard.  The largest number of hockey fans on the internet read this blog every day!  We can make this happen...Your voices got the NHL to make the lottery into a TV event.  Now let's bring hockey back full force! THIS IS VITAL!  This is not just about the lottery, it is about showing ESPN how passionate you are about this sport.

Take time this afternoon and tomorrow and call 860-766 2000 ask for programming, when you're transferred press 0 and leave your rant...Tell them that the draft lottery, at 4pm on Friday,  is a huge event and should be covered live on ESPN.  TSN, their sister station, is already covering it.  All they need to do is flick a switch and take the feed.  Also after you call double hit them by emailing askespntv@espn.twdc.com.

I have talk to people on the inside, and you can make this happen...so don't think this is a futile experiment.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!!!! HOCKEY NEEDS YOU!

I also implore you all to post this message on every hockey related place you visit.  Let's use the power of the internet and flood them like never before.  If you get a busy signal keep calling.

lol, looks like it's the end of the world

televised in the US or not, i'll be at work at 4pm. for myself i'll follow it here on the HW Forums where I'm sure people in Canada will keep us updated.

If not there's still tsn.ca (but they will surely get a traffic jam)

Email sent, ESPN is really pissing me off. I don't cherish the thought of only getting to see the finals on TV this year. Perhaps its time to see how much NHL Center Ice costs, and if we have to have a dish or digital cable to get it.

I suppose there's no need for ESPN as NHL.com will have it too:

See the Draft lottery

NHL.com will provide live streaming video of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft lottery live this Friday beginning at 4 p.m. ET. Check back for further details.

NHL.com

Well, there is only 12 balls out of 48 balls to the teams with the highest odds. Which means there is only a 25% chance he goes to one of those teams...

There is a 41.7% chance he goes to teams with 2 balls.

There is a 33.3% chance he goes to a team with only 1 ball.

So I'll actually be a little surprised if one of Buffalo, Columbus, the NY Rangers or Pittsburgh actually get the 1st overall pick.

It's a stupid set up IMO...because at the end of the day the 4 worst teams(as per their system of analysis) actually have the worst shot at the pick vs. the other groupings of teams. Not only should those teams have the individually highest chance at the 1st overall pick, the "group" of teams with 3 balls should have the highest chance overall.

Is anyone else really nervous about the lottery today?

No matter what happens (unless the habs win it, lol) someone is going to be upset. I know I'm going to be pissed off if he ends up on Toronto/Boston/NYR/Detroit/Colorado because I hate those teams, but on the other hand I wont be much happier if he ends up on Florida/Tampa/Nashville (random lousy hockey market teams).

The only teams I'd like to see win the lottery are...

Montreal, Chicago, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver (ugh I dont even feel good about that), Minnesota (as long as they dont kill Sidney's offense), Columbus

Thats 7/30 teams. Although I guess I wouldnt mind if he ended up on LA, I'd be a little upset because they had Gretzky for years... but whatever.

I've seen people say they could inverse the number of balls... MTL would have 3 & NYR would have 1... then start picking at #30 and the odds would be right.

actually that still wouldn't be right statistically. if they inversed the number of balls, the teams with 3 balls (like montreal for example) would then have even less chance of landing the #1 pick, because you would have to have all 3 balls left at the end in order to get the first pick.

the chance of this happening is only about 1.4% as opposed to 2.08% the other way.

i think the only way to announce the picks from 30 to 1 would be to not do it live.

Wow, what a big stress.. Habs still there until the 5th pick.. A lot of emotion.

Happy for Sydney. He'll have the best mentor to become the next Lemieux.. hehe. Good luck Crosby!

Go Habs Go with the 5th pick.. THat's awesome to get a pick THAT HIGH.. considering we made the playoffs last season! Last time we had a pick that high, we drafted Komo.. Let's pick another player of that level!