Lastest rumors

Habs77

On the Habs front:

- Breezer to be bought out, Kings apparently interested

- Potential interest in Modano, but I don't buy since he wants a 4-5 year deal... forget it

- Kovalev liked MTL, could yet decide to return

Other teams:

- Thornton to be traded by Boston, they know they will lose him next year... might as well get something for him now.

Florida, Toronto & Detroit seem to have the most interest.

Boston would want Bouwmeester as part of the package Florida would have to offer, apparently.

- Same thing for Samsonov, who might be going to Chicago.

Detroit might be interested, and Samsonov's wife is from DET... but they might not have the $$ to sign him.

- Manny Fernandez wants out of Minnesota, could end up in Vancouver.

- Ottawa to make pitch at Gary Roberts

- Satan likely to be bought out

- Klee, Kaberle could be bought out... make room for hopeful Niedermayer/Foote signing in TO

- Giguere will not be bought out in ANH, as some rumors say

- the Niedermayer brothers' most likely destination is Vancouver

- Weight to be bought out in STL, end up in EDM or PHX

- Joseph could end up in STL, don't they just love goalies that just don't quite cut it?

Brathwaite, Osgood, Lalime... now this.

... more later

Wow.... i can see Thornton in Toronto now...

What's with LA and Habs players.... Garon, Quintal... Conroy if you want to go that far... lol... now Breezer.

No way TO gets Thornton. They have NOTHING to give. No prospects.

I heard Kariya might sign with Vancouver since Naslund might not be back. Interesting.

Man the Canucks are gonna look alot different. No way Cloutier is back. And I would be shocked if the Niedermayer brothers don't join the Sedin brothers in Vancouver.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before that happens. :/):devil:

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

I agree ... *lol*

Seriously, this rumour must be crap as Satan has no new contract so far (RFA) ...?

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

I agree ... *lol*

Seriously, this rumour must be crap as Satan has no new contract so far (RFA) ...?

You're right, I had misread the rumor... they simply mentionned they might not qualify... go after a UFA instead.

But since I've read that he should be staying put... even Zhitnik could re-sign.

Gonchar is also a name being mentionned in BUF.

Originally posted by Macaskill

What's with LA and Habs players.... Garon, Quintal... lol... now Breezer.

They grew up in ice and snow, drawn south by the sun and sea?

If I understood well, any player can be "bought out" for free in the next week? And a "bought out" player cannot sign back with the same team?

Wow, there will be a lot of change, it's almost like starting from scratch. Team only have to keep the players they want. That's a first, and a great opportunity to do some cleaning hehe

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

If Satan is bought up, he should sign with New Jersey. You cannot buy publicity like that.

Yeah, a match made in Heaven.

Uhm... wait a minute...

Looks like the Leafs are a wee bit of trouble with Owen Nolan's contract:

Nolan's initial buyout cost was expected to be two-thirds of his $5.627-million salary for this season, or approximately $3.8-million. If it is determined that Nolan's injury occurred before the lockout, he would want to receive his full salary from the 2004-2005 season ($6.5-million). When combined with his full salary for this season, the Leafs could be on the hook for approximately $12-million if they wish to buy out Nolan.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Looks like the Leafs are a wee bit of trouble with Owen Nolan's contract:

Nolan's initial buyout cost was expected to be two-thirds of his $5.627-million salary for this season, or approximately $3.8-million. If it is determined that Nolan's injury occurred before the lockout, he would want to receive his full salary from the 2004-2005 season ($6.5-million). When combined with his full salary for this season, the Leafs could be on the hook for approximately $12-million if they wish to buy out Nolan.

HAHAHAHA :clap:

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

If Brisebois does get bought out, he will retire. His whole life in Montreal, he would die anywhere else.

Not so, I saw him interviewed a day or two ago... he said it's out of his hands and if he's bought out, he'll start fresh somewhere else.

I need some clarification.

1- what would cost a team to get a player that have just been bought-out ? The remaining unpaid third of its salary ?

2- If a team want to buy-out one of its player under contract for two years,..will it cost them two third of its total two year contract ?

3- Why does the CH need to pay less than two third at only 1,000.000 to buy-out Brisebois which makes over 3,000.000 ?

Merci

1) Not really sure what you mean.

2) From what I've heard, I believe to buy out any player at any contract, it will cost you a slightly reduced price of 2/3rds.

3) When Montreal resigned Brisebois a couple years ago, we added a buy-out clause that said we could buy him out at the end of his contract. The price to buy him out at was 1,000,000$. By using this option, we will save quite a bit of money ;) .

Hope this helps a bit :).

Originally posted by PB

I need some clarification.

1- what would cost a team to get a player that have just been bought-out ? The remaining unpaid third of its salary ?

2- If a team want to buy-out one of its player under contract for two years,..will it cost them two third of its total two year contract ?

3- Why does the CH need to pay less than two third at only 1,000.000 to buy-out Brisebois which makes over 3,000.000 ?

Merci

1- EXAMPLE Owen Nolan is set to earn 5.627M$ (6.5M -24% rollback). The leafs wants to buy him out, they have to give him 2/3 of his remaining contract total, in this case, the contract total is 5.627M$, 2/3 of that is 3.8M$ but if he had like 3 years left at 10M per year (to use easy figures) they would have to give him 20M$

:o which is 2/3 of the remaining contract. Now if a team wants to sign Nolan (which I highly doubt) they just make a bid, since Nolan is now a normal UFA. They make a bid the normal way like we do with normal UFAs.

2. yes

3. Briser has a team option at 4.5M (-24%) with a 1M penal clause if the team option is not exercised. This 1M doesn't have the roll back applied to it. In other words, if the habs keep Briser it costs 3.42M for one season. If they want to get rid of him, it costs 1M.

....few hours later

Thanks for the explanation.

I recall Audette or Czerkawski to be more than happy to accept the last unpaid third with their new team, once bought-out by Gainey little while ago.

But I understand now that a player that have been bought-out is basically contractless and as the same rights than a UFA.

Originally posted by PB

....few hours later

Thanks for the explanation.

I recall Audette or Czerkawski to be more than happy to accept the last unpaid third with their new team, once bought-out by Gainey little while ago.

But I understand now that a player that have been bought-out is basically contractless and as the same rights than a UFA.

was not the remaining tier... was just the highest offer they could get... seriously... poor them !!! :-^

Originally posted by alexstream

1- EXAMPLE Owen Nolan is set to earn 5.627M$ (6.5M -24% rollback). The leafs wants to buy him out, they have to give him 2/3 of his remaining contract total, in this case, the contract total is 5.627M$, 2/3 of that is 3.8M$ but if he had like 3 years left at 10M per year (to use easy figures) they would have to give him 20M$

So if Nolan is bought out and sign with another club for 1M, he'll make 4.8? (1+3.8)

Not bad for the player

If Brisebois does get bought out, he will retire. His whole life in Montreal, he would die anywhere else.

Yes, he could be a Pierre Bouchard kind of player. Be traded to some other team? Rather retire first, which is what Bouchard did.

For what that's worth, he walks around the city, is recognized (by those of his generation, mostly, I guess) and is still considered part of 'the alumnus'. It guarantees a sort of personal and public identity which is important to us all in one way or another.