Draft pick official

Habsrocket

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much like Tony, I have confidence in Gainey. It may have taken him a while to finally get there, but he managed (literally) to get Dallas engraved on the Cup... He also coached the North Stars and took 'em all the way to the final back in 1991, although the Penguins won it. The guy knows what he's doing.

And Puck, I am particularly glad the Ranger$ didn't get their dirty hands on Crosby.

Its going to be very interesting to see who the habs pick at #5... Very very interesting.

I think its between Kopitar, Pouliot, and Brule. Crosby is a no-brainer to go #1, and Johnson is almost certain to go #3. A guy like Bobby Ryan could be a top-5 pick, but personally I'd pass on him because of his skating concerns (he's not a good skater).

Brule is only 5'10 , but he plays a Mike Peca style. This guy plays with tons of heart and is tough as nails, plus he's got great offensive ability. I'd really consider taking him if he was still available, my only concern is his ability to stay healthy while playing his stlye of game.

I love Kopitar's size and upside, and from what I've seen of the kid in game-action he's impressed me... One thing is sure though, if the habs take Kopitar its going to piss off ALOT OF HABS FANS (though Gainey really doesnt care what the fans think, he does whats best for the team in his opinion). After taking Kostitsyn in 2003, and seeing him develop slowly I'm sure alot of people would be very upset to see the habs take another european "project" player.

Pouliot is probably the safest pick of the 3... But who knows if he'll be available for us...

Its going to be very interesting :D

Pardon me for my memory, it ain't what it used to be... but I have a question. It may have been covered already, and if that is the case then I renew my appology.

The Lightning got the #30 overall pick, right? Did they even have a chance at the #1 pick? You know... since they were the last team to win the Cup...

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

Pardon me for my memory, it ain't what it used to be... but I have a question. It may have been covered already, and if that is the case then I renew my appology.

The Lightning got the #30 overall pick, right? Did they even have a chance at the #1 pick? You know... since they were the last team to win the Cup...

Yeah everyone had a chance at #1... But its hilarious that Tampa ended up with #30... fitting

Yes, I checked on TSN and it seems as if they had 1 ball in the lottery.

I just got uncertain when I saw them ending up with the #30 pick.

Trade Plecanec for a shot at Bourdon? Good grief!!! He's only rated 11th on the TSN website and he's not even top 15th on McKeen's list. He won't go before 5th... no way! If Gainey's staff has him slated for their first choice, they'll get him, no problem.

Originally posted by alexstream

#5 is awesome... Would have been glad with 10, would have been glad with 15 damn!!!

now let's just trade Plekanec for the Bourdon pick since it's pretty sure we can't pick Johnson.

Bourdon is barely a top-10 pick based on all the different rankings I've seen. If they trade to draft him, they will be trading for a later pick, not an earlier pick.

That being said, I'd love to trade our 5th and a prospect to draft Johnson. He's supposed to be NHL ready, and that would be huge for the Habs.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Trade Plecanec for a shot at Bourdon? Good grief!!! He's only rated 11th on the TSN website and he's not even top 15th on McKeen's list. He won't go before 5th... no way! If Gainey's staff has him slated for their first choice, they'll get him, no problem.

I dont know what is so hard to understand... I wrote Trade Plek for the Bourdon pick... so if that's #11, well Plek for #11...

what.. did you really think that I meant trade our pick and plekanec for #2 so that we can draft bourdon?!!! lmao...:lol:

Naaaaaaaaah... what I mean is get a 2nd first rounder man.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

#5 is awesome... Would have been glad with 10, would have been glad with 15 damn!!!

now let's just trade Plekanec for the Bourdon pick since it's pretty sure we can't pick Johnson.

Bourdon is barely a top-10 pick based on all the different rankings I've seen. If they trade to draft him, they will be trading for a later pick, not an earlier pick.

That being said, I'd love to trade our 5th and a prospect to draft Johnson. He's supposed to be NHL ready, and that would be huge for the Habs.

yup I'd like to see that. But if #2-4 want Johnson they'll draft him no matter what... we'd have to overpay since there is no other Johnson in the draft while the fwrds from 2-6 are a wash... IMO

Kopitar is the darkhorse, most risky most talented

Pouliot seems to be the tall quiet guy who does his job quietly... without you noticing it he gets the ppg.

Ryan seems to be like any bust we've drafted in the 90's a big PF who can't skate... but what if he learns to skate... a PF with the habs... :o

Brulé... well at some point there was a debate that he was as talented as Crosby... he's been #2 for a while.. but now has lost the sure #2 title...

I really think that from 2-6 you can draft these guys by need and by what risk you agree to take (attitude, skating, can he get grittier, can he continue to develop at that pace)... the BPA is a wash there... #2 will just draft what they need.

Crosby & Johnson are the only two guys who dont seem to have any flaws in their games. That's why they're ranked #1 & #2...

After that it gets tricky.

GILBERT BRULÉ

Pros: Great offensive talent, gritty, physical.

Cons: Inconsistent, not a team player, physical game might not translate well to the NHL because of small built.

BOBBY RYAN:

Pros: Big, strong, incredible offensive talent

Cons: Skating is weak. Might get away with it in juniors because of strenght, but everyone is stronger in the NHL.

ANZE KOPITAR:

Pros: Great size & talent, good overall attitude

Cons: Might have looked better than he really is because he comes from a 2nd rate hockey nation.

BENOIT POULIOT:

Pros: All around offensive talent with good size.

Cons: Lack of a proven track record might mean he's only a draft-year hype that could flop the next season.

Here's the tough choice that awaits the Habs drafting crew. They got to pick the guy they think is most likely to overcome his weaknesses.

Its a real, real tough choice. In a way, if you're not drafting #1 or #2, you're almost better off drafting #5. That way you're left picking what's left and have less pressure.

Originally posted by ap79

Its a real, real tough choice. In a way, if you're not drafting #1 or #2, you're almost better off drafting #5. That way you're left picking what's left and have less pressure.

lol good one :D

or you pick at 15 and pick whoever is left off your list... last year they expected Chip to be taken top ten. so they were really glad to see him available at 18.

there are two other possibilities than the obvious top 6

-Take a risky pick who's ranked higher but has a lot of upside etc. (Kostytsyn type)

-Take a sure shot guy who although might not be as talented as 1-6 , has no flaw (Chipchura type)

Originally posted by Trizzak

Does Crosby being drafted by Pittsburgh affect the Kovalev situation?

Personally, I doubt it. Kovalev is at the age where his priority is playing for a contender. Even with Crosby, Pittsburgh is not ready to contend for the playoffs.

I dont know what is so hard to understand... I wrote Trade Plek for the Bourdon pick... so if that's #11, well Plek for #11...

what.. did you really think that I meant trade our pick and plekanec for #2 so that we can draft bourdon?!!! lmao...:lol:

Naaaaaaaaah... what I mean is get a 2nd first rounder man.

Plekanec is not worth a first round draft pick, that's why we were confused. Trading down in a draft means you send the high pick for the other team's lower pick and another palyer(s). Rarely does a team trade a player straight up for a 1st rounder.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Plekanec is not worth a first round draft pick, that's why we were confused. Trading down in a draft means you send the high pick for the other team's lower pick and another palyer(s). Rarely does a team trade a player straight up for a 1st rounder.

I'm aware of that. It was just an idea up there. Cause I don't see any spot anytime soon for Plek... So maybe add our 55th or something... don't know . Plek is not bad, but we have like 10 guys like him in the system...

Hopefully it gives Kovalev more incentive to sign with Montreal. Kovy won't be playing on the firstline anymore. He has said in articles that Montreal is the best city he has ever played in. I hope he resigns with the Habs.

#5! Very good for the Habs, we will score a fine player.

What are the chances we get someone who can start, who plays on the Habs this coming year?

Yup it has to affect the situation. Didn't Lemieux want Kovalev, and Kovalev might have been lured back to play beside him? Well now Lemieux has Crosby there isn't room for Kovalev on the first line, which probably means Mtl's main competition for Kovalev is gone!

Yippee! If we couldn't get Crosby Pittsburgh is where I wanted him to go, Lemieux deserves him.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

#5! Very good for the Habs, we will score a fine player.

What are the chances we get someone who can start, who plays on the Habs this coming year?

#1-5 usually the chances are great... but it all depends of the team depth and the development of the particular prospect...

BTW the more I read about Pouliot the colder I get (among other comments: doesn't wanna play in a big market, doesnt like to be the central attraction ; is older than anyone else in the draft, that's why he looks so good; he got out of nowhere on a draft year)

The more I read about Kopitar the more I like him (big, most pure skill after crosby, awesome work ethic)

And Ryan too (his skating is not that bad, he can't compete in a dance contest with Kovalchuk, but he's so strong and so skilled that you soon forget about his foot work... the gem among the gems that I found : his shot is too good for a guy of his size !! :D)

He won't bring more than a 3rd round pick. I agree with the poster who said that Crosby and Johnson were the only two prizes. Unless they were in the top 2, they may as well have been 25th as 5th. Pouliot is going to be a stiff. These guys who are all "potential", no production always end up disappointing. Brule is way overrated, and Ryan has some personality issues. Perhaps Higgins or Komisarek along with their #5 pick would bring the #2 pick. Jack Johnson is so far ahead of the next best prospect in the draft it would be well worth it. He combines the physicality and defense of Komisarek with the offensive skill of Markov. At least.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4262

When reminded of how clear Sidney Crosby was about wanting to play in Montreal in the days leading up to the draft lottery, Gainey provided a glimmer of hope for fans still hoping to one day see Crosby in a Canadiens jersey.

“There will certainly be a discussion with the Penguins organization about whether they are prepared to entertain any offers for the top pick,” said the GM. “With a pick as high as No. 5 we are definitely in the ballpark of teams that would be [capable of moving up in the draft], and we will explore that possibility if it does in fact exist.”

Tough to see it happen.. who would be dumb enough to give away Crosby? Patrick is amazed having him. We're not talking about Milbury here. ANyways, great to see that Gainey will at least knock

Anyone has seen the CHL prospect game?

Someone on another board said the following, how accurate is it?

"Brule is very physical, we saw that in the prospects game...he almost gave a concussion to Bobby Ryan.He scored 4 goals."

Cause from what I know Ryan is already NHL size so if Brulé can play physical against him... well there is no problem about Brulé...

Up to now from what I've read, he's got the two way game of Mike Peca, the shot of Sakic, the bang for the buck of Steve Begin and swift skating above all... Yup he's small, but if we have time to get bigger players to surround him. (by the way, Peca and Sakic are almost as big as Brulé...)

I think that if he's available at #5, he's Gainey's pick.

[Edited on 2005/7/23 by alexstream]

Originally posted by ap79

Crosby & Johnson are the only two guys who dont seem to have any flaws in their games. That's why they're ranked #1 & #2...

After that it gets tricky.

GILBERT BRULÉ

Pros: Great offensive talent, gritty, physical.

Cons: Inconsistent, not a team player, physical game might not translate well to the NHL because of small built.

BOBBY RYAN:

Pros: Big, strong, incredible offensive talent

Cons: Skating is weak. Might get away with it in juniors because of strenght, but everyone is stronger in the NHL.

ANZE KOPITAR:

Pros: Great size & talent, good overall attitude

Cons: Might have looked better than he really is because he comes from a 2nd rate hockey nation.

BENOIT POULIOT:

Pros: All around offensive talent with good size.

Cons: Lack of a proven track record might mean he's only a draft-year hype that could flop the next season.

Here's the tough choice that awaits the Habs drafting crew. They got to pick the guy they think is most likely to overcome his weaknesses.

Gimme Brule or Ryan... we need NAs with top line talent, and an edge.

The 2 others seem soft from what I can tell... we have enough of that.