Hasek considering a return... (Wings pickup option)

puck7x

It figures that he would want to return , since he's been banned from the Czech roller leagues for one year :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=45299

Personally I feel that Hasek should stay retired , he is 38, he has plenty of cash and he went out as a WINNER. Why tarnish his image? ... He has nothing left to prove...

If he really does miss the game and wants to return because of his love of the game then fine... go for it!

What do the Wings do though? ... They'd be forced to trade Hasek ... but to who? and for how much? Or do they just let him become a UFA? (doubt it...)

[Edited on 2003-7-1 by puck7x]

He should definetely stay retired because as you said he is a Winner. Roy, as good as his career was, will go out as a first round loser. Wouldn't his retirement have been that much better if he went out on top of the league?

Granted Roy hasn't hung on as much as other athletes have in the past (Messier, Emmitt Smith etc.)

I'm loving this... hehe

Cujo stinks up the place for the whole year, was replaced by Legace for some time during the season and was booed by the fans. Then he was swept by the Ducks.

Detroit is on the hook with Cujo for 8M per, with a no-trade clause.

Now one of the best goalies ever wants to return, they have his rights, et they're stuck with Cujo... and can't afford to pay both.

On the other hand Hasek would just be around for 1 year (then there's the strike, and he's already 38)... who knows how effective he will be coming back.

I guess a team like Colorado could be interested, Lacroix is to retire after this year and wants to go out on top... then again would he give the opportunity to Hasek to show up Roy in his 2nd home?

Maybe Philly for a year would make more sense.

Maybe Philly for a year would make more sense.

Yeah, PHI make more sense.. at least it's in the East.

I don't see Holland giving or trading the rights of Hasek to his #1 ennemy, the Avalanches!

But, never underestimate Lacroix!! He is able of everything.. I mean, I won't be surprise to see Hasek being trade to NYI.. and to COL right after :)

Granted Roy hasn't hung on as much as other athletes have in the past (Messier, Emmitt Smith etc.)

hey now.....I agree about Messier...but Emmitt is still young and more than good enough to keep playing....

I agree that Roy retired at a low point....but don't agree that he should've retired earlier.....he should keep playing....Avs still have as good a chance as anybody to win another cup in the next year or two (assuming Forsberg stays)...he still could've gone out on top...

As for Hasek.....if he misses the game, he should come back.....maybe in a way...this could be a message for Lidstrom & Forsberg....leaving your NHL career to go back to your country might sound like a good idea....until you realize how much you miss the game....

just play out your careers...unlike the rest of us....your retirement starts at 40...plenty of time to spend with families.....we get to retire at 70 bleah!!!

Originally posted by dahabs111

As for Hasek.....if he misses the game, he should come back.....maybe in a way...this could be a message for Lidstrom & Forsberg....leaving your NHL career to go back to your country might sound like a good idea....until you realize how much you miss the game....

I don't think it has anything to do with "missing the game", but everything to do with the fact he's been banned in his league one year... I doubt it's a coincidence.

He'll come play one year here, then return there when his sentence is over.... besides with the '04 strike/lockout he knows this is just about one year.

So as long as Forsberg & Lidstrom don't plan on beating a guy so severly that they've damaged his spine and earned themselves a one-year suspension plus facing legal action..... they'll be fine :)

If Hasek wants to come back, then great. It's great for the league as Hasek is arguably the most dominating goaltendfer in NHL history (although it's hard to say he's the best in NHL history because of his short career).

It's also great for Detroit. They'll have to pick up his option, and can then trade Joseph to Colorado (if th eprice is more than right), Philly (but I doubt it), or New York. Im not sure what Yzerman's situation is, but if he leaves, Lindros could be a good replacement. Or a Bure-Fedorov-Shanahan line could be quite interesting.

As for earlier comments. Messier, although not quite the Messier of old times, is still one of the best vets in the league. He still had 40 points last year while providing great leadership. The only problem is that he makes nearly 4M dollars... that's steep. However, I do hope this is his last season...

And for Roy, he's not leaving at a low point. He still had (statistically) one of his best season ever. He had one his best win totals (35 wins). Not everyone can retire with a Stanley Cup like Bourque and Hasek. Some of the best players in history never even won a Cup, while some ordinary players have won a few... it doens't mean anything. The whole Colorado team collapsed... is Forsberg at a low point of his career?

That's the latest rumor.

If NYR doesn't want Cujo... DET's options become very limited.

Rumor is he could go to Boston with the grossly overpaid Lapointe going back to DET to even it up a bit in terms of salary.