Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Puck

14th Annual Prediction Contest

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Two words: Carey Price. We've seen Patrick Roy do it, with a mediocre team...

Price isn't doing shit with this D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain to me how basically every other team improved in the off season but Montreal hasn't? The NHL has the same amount of points up for grabs every year. Every team adds and subtracts players from the previous season, how does the net result mean an improvement for most of the league? Does growth from the youth factor into this calculation? I need to know the secret formula here

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Patrick Roy had much better teams in front of him than what Price currently has.  The cup teams were not mediocre teams.  The 93 cup team had three guys with 90 points and the 86 cup team had 3 other hall of famers.

the dmen Roy had included Robinson, Chelios, Schneider, Desjardins, svoboda, Kurvers, odelin 

Touche 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, illWill said:

Can someone explain to me how basically every other team improved in the off season but Montreal hasn't? The NHL has the same amount of points up for grabs every year. Every team adds and subtracts players from the previous season, how does the net result mean an improvement for most of the league? Does growth from the youth factor into this calculation? I need to know the secret formula here

 

Some people are just negative to be negative.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with Malkin, I picture the Pens out of the playoffs this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, illWill said:

Can someone explain to me how basically every other team improved in the off season but Montreal hasn't? The NHL has the same amount of points up for grabs every year. Every team adds and subtracts players from the previous season, how does the net result mean an improvement for most of the league? Does growth from the youth factor into this calculation? I need to know the secret formula here

 

Where's the depth on this team? Especially on D, if Weber or Petry go down with injury that's it for this D. If Price gets hurt....well we all know what's going to happen. 

 

Its the same team as last year which missed the playoffs.

 

Did we fix our PP no, did we improve the LD no.

 

I for one want to see this team win but i am realistic.

 

New jersey improved

Florida improved

Philadelphia has a goaltender now which means they will improve.

 

We stranded pat and added nothing to help out the young guys and to add depth to the team.

 

A lot needs to go right for the habs to make the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We added nothing.

 

Kinkaid is nothing.

Chiarot is nothing.

A solid fourth line is nothing

Suzuki and Fleury are nothing.

A healthy Weber is nothing.

Depth (in case of injuries) in Laval is nothing.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that is true is that the Habs have the 6th most cap space available to them in the league. Most of the top 12 teams in terms of having available space have pretty bleak outlooks this season. I’m sure there have been situations where high spending teams have been bad (some 90s rangers teams come to mind) and other situations where teams with space available have done well. In my personal opinion, I cannot imagine how having space would bode well in terms of having hired all the possible personnel to host a competitive team. This seems to be a trend which started only recently within our organization and it hasn’t paid dividends in terms of allowing us the flexibility to trade for someone mid season, or to sign a great UFA. 
 

There were those who said we may make some moves in September, and while Suzuki and Fleury made the team, I do not think those were the types of moves people were referring to. 
 

I have predicted us to finish 6th in the East so I am no doom and gloom, but the Habs will indeed have to make some moves within the season to make any noise in the playoffs. It’s a similar situation to recent seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We added nothing.

 

Kinkaid is nothing.

Chiarot is nothing.

A solid fourth line is nothing

Suzuki and Fleury are nothing.

A healthy Weber is nothing.

Depth (in case of injuries) in Laval is nothing.

Issues last year

weak D on the Left side , also no depth after Weber and Petry on defense.

 

No puck moving defensemen on the team 

 

Lack of power play 

 

Off season done nothing to address these needs.

 

How's that improving the team 🤔

 

Will kinkaid help yes, but not on the power play. Today's NHL is all about special team play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly believe that our PP could be much better with the same players as we have today. We have to get out of this "Weber must take all the shots" mentality and utilize our other players on PP as well. While we don't have a Laine on the team, we certainly have other players who could shoot at the net from the other side, making the power play less predictable and more dangerous.

 

Arpon Basu wrote about this a week ago in the Athletic. Sadly none of that was visible in Toronto, certainly not in OT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I honestly believe that our PP could be much better with the same players as we have today. We have to get out of this "Weber must take all the shots" mentality and utilize our other players on PP as well. While we don't have a Laine on the team, we certainly have other players who could shoot at the net from the other side, making the power play less predictable and more dangerous.

 

Arpon Basu wrote about this a week ago in the Athletic. Sadly none of that was visible in Toronto, certainly not in OT.

 OT PP  was painful to Watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many teams have the depth to overcome an injury to one of their top players. 

 

If the Leafs lose Anderson or Rielly, they are in big trouble. 

In the playoffs we saw what happened when the Lightning lost Hedman.  How do they do without Vasilevskiy?

The Sharks were a much worse team without Karlsson last year. 

The Blues were terrible before they called up Binnington.  What happens if he is hurt?

Who is the top centre if Sebastian Aho is hurt for the Hurricanes. 

You complain about what happens if Price or Weber is hurt... we can say this about 1 or 2 players on every team in the league.  Thats the nature of the Salary Cap league.  You simply can't have backups for your stars at every position.  No team can afford it. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

How many teams have the depth to overcome an injury to one of their top players. 

 

If the Leafs lose Anderson or Rielly, they are in big trouble. 

In the playoffs we saw what happened when the Lightning lost Hedman.  How do they do without Vasilevskiy?

The Sharks were a much worse team without Karlsson last year. 

The Blues were terrible before they called up Binnington.  What happens if he is hurt?

Who is the top centre if Sebastian Aho is hurt for the Hurricanes. 

You complain about what happens if Price or Weber is hurt... we can say this about 1 or 2 players on every team in the league.  Thats the nature of the Salary Cap league.  You simply can't have backups for your stars at every position.  No team can afford it. 

my sentiment exactly... its ridiculous to think any team would actually be able to over come losing there best D man and one of the best goalies in the world...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, illWill said:

39-36-2-5 = 85 points

5th in the Atlantic

11th in the East

237 goals for

 

I'm predicting the injury bug hits pretty hard this year. Not really based on anything just a guess 

 


So now that we’re half way through the season and on pace for 84 points after having recently suffered an assortment of key injuries, I am here to jinx this post by saying you were totally right. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now let’s go have a killer second half and get 100. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After losing last year's prediction thread by a goal in the tie breaker, I'm just going to go ahead and declare myself the winner this year with a prediction of 85 points. Closest total to the final standings of 71 and also to projected point total of 82 points. What a piece of crap season on the way to winning the Cup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...