2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, DON said:

Great to hear.:clap:

He crossed the line there.  I have a grandfather who was a Ukrainian immigrant who fought in ww1. Uncles who were immigrants from england in ww2.  What's the difference? They got the you people treatment as well. Especially my grandfather. Bad form don.

I will miss him though.  I loved coaches corner. Guy cracked me up. I wish people would piss off with mixing politics and sports.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

He crossed the line there.  I have a grandfather who was a Ukrainian immigrant who fought in ww1. Uncles who were immigrants from england in ww2.  What's the difference? They got the you people treatment as well. Especially my grandfather. Bad form don.

I will miss him though.  I loved coaches corner. Guy cracked me up. I wish people would piss off with mixing politics and sports.

On purpose have ignored his shtick for last decade at least, maybe two.

39 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

This story is currently on the foxnews front page.

If you dare, go through the comments at the bottom. Hold your nose.

Unbelievable they finally fired that dinosaur!  Hopefully he won’t be replaced by other  bafoons like Burke or Milbury.

• Upvote 1

My favourite is the "free speech" argument...as though Cherry is ENTITLED to a platform on a prestige national broadcast and a million dollar salary for spewing antediluvian gibberish. 🙄

F**king alt-right twats.

Fantastic news that they finally dumped that ignoramus. He had his time, but that time passed 30 years ago.

59 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Unbelievable they finally fired that dinosaur!  Hopefully he won’t be replaced by other  bafoons like Burke or Milbury.

I will be even more impressed if his replacement turns out to be someone who isn't already part of that hockey media mafia. If they're smart, they will not try to replace Cherry with some lesser version of an ignorant blowhard. What I'd really like to see is a segment that actually increases our understanding of the game, like Howie Meeker used to do with his video analysis.

How about someone like Ken Dryden? Or you could try a rotating cast of commentators - former GMs, agents, coaches. I like that idea quite a bit, but they won't do that, I'm sure.

In a few years, PK Subban should get the slot 😄

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How about someone like Ken Dryden? Or you could try a rotating cast of commentators - former GMs, agents, coaches. I like that idea quite a bit, but they won't do that, I'm sure.

With the way that Sportsnet cut people en masse over the offseason, they won't be hiring anyone for that spot - it would cost too much.  (Plus, they're probably still paying Cherry's contract.)  I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly Hrudey's second intermission segment after Headlines goes to there for now and then they'll spend more time after Headlines to shill for the next Hometown Hokey.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I hope not. I do like him, but I would prefer to have him focused on our organization.

Brian Burke, not Sean Burke.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ideally they don't even try, but go in a different direction entirely (at least to start.)

Wouldn't be shocked if the first week is some kind of "hockey is for everyone" promo/segment. It would be like an apology segment, plus anyone that complains about it and doubles down on wanting Cherry back would just comes across - rightfully or wrongfully - as xenophobic. 

I think coach's corner was done a long time ago. 

What they need is something new and fresh. What that could be not sure.

But Don was coach's corner and without him it should be no more.

Don't try and replace him but keep the segment. Just end it all together and try something else.

Edited by Habsfan89

I watched Coach's Corner on Saturday, and was thoroughly entertained by Don's incoherent rants and jumbled thoughts, and of course was a little shocked at how he went overboard near the end.  He could have targeted people like me, native-born Canadians who generally don't wear a poppy, but he indulged in his xenophobic fantasies again.  He clearly shouldn't have a national platform, but then again, I find him more entertaining than the other segments HNIC offers up.  He probably should have been canned long ago, but I'll miss Coach's Corner on Saturday nights for the unintentional laughs.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

I watched Coach's Corner on Saturday, and was thoroughly entertained by Don's incoherent rants and jumbled thoughts, and of course was a little shocked at how he went overboard near the end.  He could have targeted people like me, native-born Canadians who generally don't wear a poppy, but he indulged in his xenophobic fantasies again.  He clearly shouldn't have a national platform, but then again, I find him more entertaining than the other segments HNIC offers up.  He probably should have been canned long ago, but I'll miss Coach's Corner on Saturday nights for the unintentional laughs.

Totally agree. I'm going to miss him.

It seems as though anyone who is joyous about the Don Cherry firing already wanted him gone long ago. I haven’t seen a comment on here from those who are actually content which addresses the actual comments he made. 

I was fairly indifferent in that I watched Coach’s Corner a lot over the years, but would not go out of my way to watch it any more often than a regular Saturday night second intermission. 

With that being said, I don’t think what he said was intended to be overly offensive and even those who say that he could have chosen his words better are mostly saying so in order to not seem politically incorrect.

From what I remember as a child, remembrance, or armistice day, was religiously engrained into our system as an important day to celebrate. Those who weren’t born here weren’t raised with that same mentality. While it is one hundred percent true that native Canadians also forgo wearing poppies, it’s only natural that a national celebration wouldn’t be as celebrated by those who weren’t born in the nation. I think Don Cherry was only encouraging those who weren’t brought up with that nature to adopt it and I have real life examples that would seem to confirm that it’s actually true that wearing a poppy wouldn’t even occur to some who weren’t born here. There’s nothing “wrong” with it or anything accusatory, it’s just a reality. I love diversity and constantly defend against racism. This wasn’t that.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It seems as though anyone who is joyous about the Don Cherry firing already wanted him gone long ago. I haven’t seen a comment on here from those who are actually content which addresses the actual comments he made. 

I was fairly indifferent in that I watched Coach’s Corner a lot over the years, but would not go out of my way to watch it any more often than a regular Saturday night second intermission. 

With that being said, I don’t think what he said was intended to be overly offensive and even those who say that he could have chosen his words better are mostly saying so in order to not seem politically incorrect.

From what I remember as a child, remembrance, or armistice day, was religiously engrained into our system as an important day to celebrate. Those who weren’t born here weren’t raised with that same mentality. While it is one hundred percent true that native Canadians also forgo wearing poppies, it’s only natural that a national celebration wouldn’t be as celebrated by those who weren’t born in the nation. I think Don Cherry was only encouraging those who weren’t brought up with that nature to adopt it and I have real life examples that would seem to confirm that it’s actually true that wearing a poppy wouldn’t even occur to some who weren’t born here. There’s nothing “wrong” with it or anything accusatory, it’s just a reality. I love diversity and constantly defend against racism. This wasn’t that.

Your post sums up my feelings on the matter.  The leftist cancel culture sickens me.  That feeling is compounded when you factor in the double standard that is applied: when a leftist does something offensive, it's always brushed under the rug or at least minimized by the media and goes unpunished.  A conservative does something equal or lesser, and it's an onslaught of false moral outrage and an attempt to destroy.  Trudeau blackface: no big deal.  Don Cherry states something he observed that doesn't mesh well with the narrative the left wants out there: destroy him.  For the record, I'm not saying I want leftists torn down either...I'm against ubersensitive PC snowflake cancel culture equally across the board.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Your post sums up my feelings on the matter.  The leftist cancel culture sickens me.  That feeling is compounded when you factor in the double standard that is applied: when a leftist does something offensive, it's always brushed under the rug or at least minimized by the media and goes unpunished.  A conservative does something equal or lesser, and it's an onslaught of false moral outrage and an attempt to destroy.  Trudeau blackface: no big deal.  Don Cherry states something he observed that doesn't mesh well with the narrative the left wants out there: destroy him.  For the record, I'm not saying I want leftists torn down either...I'm against ubersensitive PC snowflake cancel culture equally across the board.

I couldn't agree more...

With that said, Don Cherry's hockey relevance expired years ago. And, for that he should have retired long before the cancel culture got to him.

Lets be clear on what cherry said.

Those who are saying he got fired for "you people" are being disingenious.

He said, "You people who come here, you love our milk and honey." 

There is no doubt who he meant... and that was immigrants.

Lets also not pretend that this is the first time Cherry has shown xenophobic, bigoted, or misogynistic views on the air.  The history is long.  This is the straw that broke the camels back.

Cherry was also given the opportunity to apologize.  He refuses to.  He has in fact doubled down saying i know what i said and i stand by it.

As for the Trudeau comparison.  One was 20 years ago.  It is also something he has apologized for.  Hes also shown in his actions in government to be supportive of diversity.  That doesnt seem to compare to someone doing something today, who refuses to apologize and doesnt understand why its wrong, and who has a long history of these types of comments that isnt going away. 

• Upvote 2

I am obviously the minority of 1, 

I like Cherry and had no problems with his comments, he also was let go for those comments, actions have consequences. I'm sure he could care less about being fired and will have another platform. 

The PC police and selective outrage is just too funny, 

You are allowed to have opinions as long as it conforms to what the libs and PC tell you, otherwise you are labeled a bigot, blah, blah, blah 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

I am obviously the minority of 1, 

I like Cherry and had no problems with his comments, he also was let go for those comments, actions have consequences. I'm sure he could care less about being fired and will have another platform. 

The PC police and selective outrage is just too funny, 

You are allowed to have opinions as long as it conforms to what the libs and PC tell you, otherwise you are labeled a bigot, blah, blah, blah 

Yup

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lets be clear on what cherry said.

Those who are saying he got fired for "you people" are being disingenious.

He said, "You people who come here, you love our milk and honey." 

There is no doubt who he meant... and that was immigrants.

Lets also not pretend that this is the first time Cherry has shown xenophobic, bigoted, or misogynistic views on the air.  The history is long.  This is the straw that broke the camels back.

Cherry was also given the opportunity to apologize.  He refuses to.  He has in fact doubled down saying i know what i said and i stand by it.

As for the Trudeau comparison.  One was 20 years ago.  It is also something he has apologized for.  Hes also shown in his actions in government to be supportive of diversity.  That doesnt seem to compare to someone doing something today, who refuses to apologize and doesnt understand why its wrong, and who has a long history of these types of comments that isnt going away. 

He actually double downed more then once to. He had a chance to "clear the air" and chose not to

But to suggest that there is NOT a double standard being upheld, depending on what side of an aisle your on is just as disingenuous. And I'm not talking solely on the prospect of immigration. I'm speaking generally across all topics and ideas. Its sickening.

I'm gonna stick with Cherry should of retired long ago. His firing over these comments was a very easy decision for Roger's Sportsnet. 

anyways this is an NHL thread... Politics should have no place in Sports.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic