2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yow! I liked Crawford based on his media hits when he was out of the league, and also based on the fact that he always played an up-tempo style and seemed to have adapted to the modernization of the game upon his return in Dallas. He was my preferred choice over Therrien back in the day. I guess we dodged a bullet in not hiring him! (I'll refrain from asking who *wouldn't* want to strangle and kick Sean Avery...the point is that being someone's boss doesn't entitle you to physically abuse them).

The thing that bothers me about Avery is he was quoted today saying he really deserved to get his butt kicked and that Marc Crawford was his second favourite coach. Then why bring it up?  He really loves publicity. I am not excusing Crawford's behaviour. I am sure there is more stuff to come out.  Chelios's talk about how Babcock treated Franzen was really damning. I think it will be really hard for Babcock to get another job but I could be way off on that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

So everything that happened 20 years ago coach's and gm's are going to get fired for today🤔 . How does this make any sense?

It wasn't 20 years ago. Players were likely afraid of speaking out earlier because they would get blackballed. There is nothing wrong with a coach being tough and demanding however there is no place anywhere for a coach or anyone to demean other people or make racist remarks.  I would lose my job if i did it, why should it be any different for a coach? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

So everything that happened 20 years ago coach's and gm's are going to get fired for today🤔 . How does this make any sense?

Trash people get to pay the price for trash actions. 

These things were more like 10 years ago, not 20. 

10 years ago people were well aware that the N-word is a racial slur and a coach can't say that to a player. 

People were also well aware that coaches shouldn't be punching and kicking their players. 

These aren't acceptable actions anywhere in society.  I am a lawyer, if i punch one of the junior lawyers, i'm gonna get fired.  If i kick an assistant, I'm gonna get fired. This shouldn't have been acceptable for coaches or GMs either, and if these pieces of shit have to pay the price today... good... too bad it didn't happen sooner.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It wasn't 20 years ago. Players were likely afraid of speaking out earlier because they would get blackballed. There is nothing wrong with a coach being tough and demanding however there is no place anywhere for a coach or anyone to demean other people or make racist remarks.  I would lose my job if i did it, why should it be any different for a coach? 

Today's culture is so spoiled and feel that they're entitle to everything without working hard for it. Especially sports athletes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Today's culture is so spoiled and feel that they're entitle to everything without working hard for it. Especially sports athletes.

This is not about hard work or being spoiled.  It's about treating people with respect. People deserve to be treated with respect. That's the way society should be period. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah damn those athletes for not wanting to be called a racial slur or punched or kicked by coaches.  So entitled.

Jesus christ man... delete your post cause its the dumbest thing ever said on this site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Radulov healthy scratch...anyone still think Habs should of opened Bank of Molson and let him take as much as he wanted for long term deal? 

Yes

To clarify, he’s still Dallas’ third leading point getter and has more points than Jamie Benn. I’d love to have him on the team. 

I am posting a link to the spreadsheet I use to track how MB is faring with regards to other GMs. Nothing scientific, but at least numbers based:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/102S-AKuH81-COsCjTgT6Tg-Q5imkCvcH/view?usp=sharing

I just modified column X to calculate the number of playoff appearances in the last 4 years. Numbers look bad for the CH during that time, if you do not consider the team as in rebuild/reset mode

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am posting a link to the spreadsheet I use to track how MB is faring with regards to other GMs. Nothing scientific, but at least numbers based:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/102S-AKuH81-COsCjTgT6Tg-Q5imkCvcH/view?usp=sharing

I just modified column X to calculate the number of playoff appearances in the last 4 years. Numbers look bad for the CH during that time, if you do not consider the team as in rebuild/reset mode

Again this analysis is dribble without context.  How many of teams changed GM’s after missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons??? How many teams that did not change GM’s had the GM came into a crap team (ie Winnipeg) and has seen progression, rather than regression during their tenure???

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Again this analysis is dribble without context.  How many of teams changed GM’s after missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons??? How many teams that did not change GM’s had the GM came into a crap team (ie Winnipeg) and has seen progression, rather than regression during their tenure???

That is a valid point. I'll take a look after I am done with the house cleaning or my wife will complain :)

I wanted to look at NSH and WIN to test your theory

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

I dont follow prospects much, seems like too much to give up for a UFA, I dont see Hall staying in Phoenix. 

Yeah from what I hear its phoenixes I think 3rd and 4th best prospects and the 3rd could become a 1st if Hall resigns with them if I am not mistaken.

But yeah I think it's over pay but that's what you do if you're all in and want to win a cup. You do what you got to do to get the guy you want, that you think would help put you over the top.

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah from what I hear its phoenixes I think 3rd and 4th best prospects and the 3rd could become a 1st if Hall resigns with them if I am not mistaken.

But yeah I think it's over pay but that's what you do if you're all in and want to win a cup. You do what you got to do to get the guy you want, that you think would help put you over the top.

According to capfriendly.com, the 3rd rounder turns into a 2nd rounder if the Coyotes win a playoff round or Hall resigns.  If the Coyotes win a playoff round and Hall resigns, it becomes a 1st rounder.

On 12/17/2019 at 7:00 AM, Habsfan89 said:

Done deal 1st, 3rd prospects and NJ eats half halls contract remaining 

The Athletic’s analysis estimates that adding Hall bumped Arizona’s projected winning % from .473 to .504. That’s 3.1%.

Over Arizona’s remaining 46 games that’s an additional 1.4 wins or 2.8 points before he files his UFA papers (and assuming no games lost to injuries). Personally, I don’t think that’s a great return for a first and a third. But admittedly it could be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic