2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic’s analysis estimates that adding Hall bumped Arizona’s projected winning % from .473 to .504. That’s 3.1%.

Over Arizona’s remaining 46 games that’s an additional 1.4 wins or 2.8 points before he files his UFA papers (and assuming no games lost to injuries). Personally, I don’t think that’s a great return for a first and a third. But admittedly it could be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

He already contributed two points with that dramatic play setting up the winning goal in his first game. So my guess is that the Athletic's estimate is too low.

LeBrun on Habs interest in Hall:

Habs GM Marc Bergevin checked in, sources confirmed. But there wasn’t any way that Cole Caufield or Alexander Romanov would be included in any package. The Canadiens did their due diligence on what it would take but I don’t believe things got very far.

A goalie coach asked to rank goalies, on Price;

“His team has been so up and down,” he said. “Him and Vasilevskiy are two of the best goalies in the league along with (John) Gibson knocking on the door. But these guys need support. You put them on good teams, they’re all going to be (tier) ones and Vezina Trophy candidates. Environment plays a big role in the success of a goalie.”

(Poached from the athletic goalie ranking, panel had Price behind Tampa goalie)

One play that stood out from last game, Suzuki from below opposing goalline, but made it back to break up a seeming gift-wrapped 2-on-1 goal. The kid just seems one very smart player and is really quite surprising to see Julien send him out there in important game situations.

When Mete is back, who should he play with? Petry or Fleury?

2 hours ago, DON said:

One play that stood out from last game, Suzuki from below opposing goalline, but made it back to break up a seeming gift-wrapped 2-on-1 goal. The kid just seems one very smart player and is really quite surprising to see Julien send him out there in important game situations.

When Mete is back, who should he play with? Petry or Fleury?

I liked him with Petry. They had a few games together and he looked great. 

I like the way the top 4 are working.   I'd ease him back in with Fleury, with the idea that he can move into the top four as a change once he's up to speed and the team starts to struggle. 

I'd let him get his legs back and have him in my back pocket for when the D inevitably needs a shakeup. 

Chicago announced Seabrook will be out for the rest of this season and next for three surgeries.

De Haan is also out for the season.

Shaw has been out awhile with yet another concussion, and could be done for good.

They're 6th last in the league with a ton of money tied up in injuries. Is this the catalyst for major changes in Chicago like trading Kane or Toews? Or will they just do the normal sell job at the deadline?

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Chicago announced Seabrook will be out for the rest of this season and next for three surgeries.

De Haan is also out for the season.

Shaw has been out awhile with yet another concussion, and could be done for good.

They're 6th last in the league with a ton of money tied up in injuries. Is this the catalyst for major changes in Chicago like trading Kane or Toews? Or will they just do the normal sell job at the deadline?

I think they'll more or less stand pat for now and then really re-assess things in the summer (including whether or not it's time for Bowman to be replaced).

Neither one is very expensive. But can they actually improve our fourth (?) line? Granlund has been a roughly 20-30 point scorer for the past few seasons but has struggled in Edmonton, would Julien be able to bring him back to form? He's only 26 so not too old yet. Andreoff is two years older and hasn't scored more than 0.2 ppg in a season yet, so the ceiling looks lower.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Neither one is very expensive. But can they actually improve our fourth (?) line? Granlund has been a roughly 20-30 point scorer for the past few seasons but has struggled in Edmonton, would Julien be able to bring him back to form? He's only 26 so not too old yet. Andreoff is two years older and hasn't scored more than 0.2 ppg in a season yet, so the ceiling looks lower.

I'm literally thinking just in terms of bringing in a body that has played NHL minutes. Habs are thin up front for a few more weeks and there is no point in Vejdemo being the 13th forward when Laval's depth is also being tested.

Don't know where to post that,  but exactly 4 years ago  (Facebook memories),  Commandant wrote this about Lars Eller  If I want to spend a night watching someone not score... i can take my friends to the bar."   Still one of HW's epic quotes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Don't know where to post that,  but exactly 4 years ago  (Facebook memories),  Commandant wrote this about Lars Eller  If I want to spend a night watching someone not score... i can take my friends to the bar."   Still one of HW's epic quotes.

tenor.gif?itemid=15462551

• Upvote 1

So since Drouin went down with injury we're 7-24. I said that if we didn't make a trade to upgrade his lose we would tail spin. That's exactly what has happened.

It happens every single time with this team.  It goes back to the fact that we're just not a deep team. Prospects wise yes  we have become deeper in talent over the last two years. Bergevin has done a great job drafting players for today's NHL.  But those prospects aren't NHL ready to fill in holes now.  theirs just way to many holes on the NHL team.

I know it's just not Drouin, but Armia, Gallagher, mete and company over The last 2 months. But it's more the fact that their is such a big drop off if we lose top talent.

• Upvote 1

It's because our team is 90% built with hard workers and 10% skills.

Let's be honest, the only above average players  in terms of skills with the puck / beautiful and creative plays / serious treats with the puck  are  Drouin and Suzuki.
Then you have your Tatar and Domi (and a bit of Kovalchuk yeah) and Kotkaniemi who's not top 6 ready.

But that's it.

Danault, Gallagher, Armia, etc   are more grinders with some skills.  Weber, Petry, Mete  have one power skill (Shot or skating)  but are not all around skilled players.

So when  Drouin falls down,  that's pretty much our only  real NHL established skilled player here.

Problem is :  other teams generally have more skilled players while they are also hard workers.

On most nights, hard work WITH talent  will beat hard work alone.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

It's because our team is 90% built with hard workers and 10% skills.

Let's be honest, the only above average players  in terms of skills with the puck / beautiful and creative plays / serious treats with the puck  are  Drouin and Suzuki.
Then you have your Tatar and Domi (and a bit of Kovalchuk yeah) and Kotkaniemi who's not top 6 ready.

But that's it.

Danault, Gallagher, Armia, etc   are more grinders with some skills.  Weber, Petry, Mete  have one power skill (Shot or skating)  but are not all around skilled players.

So when  Drouin falls down,  that's pretty much our only  real NHL established skilled player here.

Problem is :  other teams generally have more skilled players while they are also hard workers.

On most nights, hard work WITH talent  will beat hard work alone.

To be honest I believe we are seeing the effect of our weak drafting over the years after our current core made the jump to the NHL. Price, Subban, Gallagher, Pacioretty became our core group and we became contenders. We then stopped drafting talent and we weakened ourselves. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

To be honest I believe we are seeing the effect of our weak drafting over the years after our current core made the jump to the NHL. Price, Subban, Gallagher, Pacioretty became our core group and we became contenders. We then stopped drafting talent and we weakened ourselves. 

Yeah.  that's probably the main reason of why we're loaded with grinders.

And of course, we had Galchenyuk but he failed to adapt his skilled game to the NHL (so far)  and we traded him for more of a grinder player in a lateral move instead of paying extra picks and prospects to really improve him and get skills in return.

10 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

And of course, we had Galchenyuk but he failed to adapt his skilled game to the NHL (so far)  and we traded him for more of a grinder player in a lateral move instead of paying extra picks and prospects to really improve him and get skills in return.

No we have more grinders because that's what Bergevin believed  still won playoff games. But in today's NHL its not. With this reset or what ever you want to call it he is building a team more for today's NHL. Domi, Drouin, Suzuki, Caufield are meant  for today's NHL.  problem is our NHL ready prospects are all grinders from the last 4 years they're not meant for today's NHL.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:13 AM, JoeLassister said:

What are you talking about? Domi is a skilled player, 24 years old, and twice the player Galchenyuk is. He is not at all a grinder; he is skill matched with determination, chippiness, and effort. Whatever the Habs' problems, the brilliant Galy-Domi trade is the least of them.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What are you talking about? Domi is a skilled player, 24 years old, and twice the player Galchenyuk is. He is not at all a grinder; he is skill matched with determination, chippiness, and effort. Whatever the Habs' problems, the brilliant Galy-Domi trade is the least of them.

Hey, looks like we could bring back Galchenyuk for not much and try again.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic