2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What are you talking about? Domi is a skilled player, 24 years old, and twice the player Galchenyuk is. He is not at all a grinder; he is skill matched with determination, chippiness, and effort. Whatever the Habs' problems, the brilliant Galy-Domi trade is the least of them.

Sure, 2 years later we can say that. But still,  Bergevin traded 1:1 and got the best of this trade  while he (maybe) could have paid more to get more than Domi back in the days. 

Now, I don't have anything against Domi, I like him a lot and want him to stick around part of the next Habs generation for sure.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, JoeLassister said:

Sure, 2 years later we can say that. But still,  Bergevin traded 1:1 and got the best of this trade  while he (maybe) could have paid more to get more than Domi back in the days. 

Now, I don't have anything against Domi, I like him a lot and want him to stick around part of the next Habs generation for sure.

Of course we can say that 2 years later. That's how it works, you make a trade and it takes time to determine whether it was a good one or not. I know MB was criticized heavily at the time for this trade but he took a chance and it worked out. 

I see Martin Brodeur listed as possible new Devil GM.

Might he be a legit option for Molson...if Habs keep on losing 2/3 of games and Molson finally pressured enough to pull the trigger on Bergevin?

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Might he be a legit option for Molson...if Habs keep on losing 2/3 of games and Molson finally pressured enough to pull the trigger on Bergevin?

I do not want another rookie GM when MB  is done in Montreal. enough with that.

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not want another rookie GM when MB  is done in Montreal. enough with that.

I was wondering whether you think Molson might, not you or I?

As the list of french GM candidates seems very very thin slim and the guy seems like a smart, well liked fellow.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

As the list of french GM candidates seems very very thin slim and the guy seems like a smart, well liked fellow.

Réjean Houle seemed like a nice smart fellow too

1 hour ago, DON said:

When did a French GM because absolutely mandatory? Used to be "French coach mandatory, French GM preferred." But you're probably right that any non-bilingual GM is now unthinkable.

4 hours ago, DON said:

I wonder if Martin Brodeur would think it a good option to build a franchise around a goalkeeper. 

On another note, it’s pretty crazy to see Ryan Poehling with a 0 and 0 stat line after 19 games played. Not that one would have thought of him as an offensive threat, but it’s quite the contrast when compared with coming into the league with a hat trick in your first game, in addition to a shootout goal. I can’t think of many positives that go along with what he must be going through right now. 

Poehling has had opportunities for points, just didnt finish and his line mates can't finish

he is getting better on the wing, kills penalties and is good on the boards, points will come 

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

Poehling has had opportunities for points, just didnt finish and his line mates can't finish

he is getting better on the wing, kills penalties and is good on the boards, points will come 

This is why pencilling in rookies to make an impact is almost always a dumb idea. It seemed like everyone anointed him a future stud C after that hattie last season. In fact, more sober assessments I've read over the years suggest he's more of a third-line type. And nothing wrong with that. He could become a more physical, hard-to-play-against, beast-along-the-boards version of Lars Eller. That'd be a happy outcome.

I think its more the habs brass / coaching staff think they are smarter than everyone else,

They drafted and traded for good young centers, then play them in the wing in roles they aren't familiar with. 

Poehling is like Danault, on a bad team he could be #2 center, on a good team he slotted in to be a quality 3rd liner

Suzuki played limited minutes to start the year on the wing, he moves back and forth, other than Domi he is probably right now the habs 2nd best talented forward 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I wonder if Martin Brodeur would think it a good option to build a franchise around a goalkeeper. 

On another note, it’s pretty crazy to see Ryan Poehling with a 0 and 0 stat line after 19 games played. Not that one would have thought of him as an offensive threat, but it’s quite the contrast when compared with coming into the league with a hat trick in your first game, in addition to a shootout goal. I can’t think of many positives that go along with what he must be going through right now. 

Poehling has played excellent.  I have no doubt the points will come in the future. He wins battles all over the ice. I'm surprised he has no points. I agree that he should make a great #3 centre.

5 hours ago, Colin said:

Would you re-sign Galchenyuk over the summer for a small contract?

Considering raw offensive ability is something this team lacks, why not?  I don't think the Habs would do it though, not with some of the behind the scenes things that were reported around the time he was dealt.

It has been a while since we've seen you on here.  How are things?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is why pencilling in rookies to make an impact is almost always a dumb idea. It seemed like everyone anointed him a future stud C after that hattie last season. In fact, more sober assessments I've read over the years suggest he's more of a third-line type. And nothing wrong with that. He could become a more physical, hard-to-play-against, beast-along-the-boards version of Lars Eller. That'd be a happy outcome.

Starting out as bottom six centre/winger is what most objective fans figured. Not supposed to be big scorer, but he and Suzuki as a duo on the PK already doing great and Poehling seems quicker than i thought he was. Even without any offense yet, he seems to already have Julien's trust.

I guess Eller seems like a good comparable.

No one expected Suzuki to be impact player this year, but he seems to be a stand out in most games and just seems like such a smart player. Even you must be very encouraged with his play and potential ceiling.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Starting out as bottom six centre/winger is what most objective fans figured. Not supposed to be big scorer, but he and Suzuki as a duo on the PK already doing great and Poehling seems quicker than i thought he was. Even without any offense yet, he seems to already have Julien's trust.

I guess Eller seems like a good comparable.

No one expected Suzuki to be impact player this year, but he seems to be a stand out in most games and just seems like such a smart player. Even you must be very encouraged with his play and potential ceiling.

Yep, Suzuki aligns with that phenomenon that's much more frequent these days: if a kid is going to be an impact player, you can see it almost right away, with no need for rationalizations and excuses born of hopeful thinking. He needs to get the defensive lapses out of his game, but he has great hockey smarts and vision. I think he'll be a legit top-line FW (although whether at C or W is another question). 

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The boards go down for one day for updating and Gerard Gallant gets fired?  I fear what would happen if the forum went down for multiple days if that's what happens after just one day...

When's the next update scheduled for, deadline day? 😕

• dlbalr unpinned this topic