2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I heard on the Blackhawks feed last night, that if CJ misses the playoffs again this year, it will be 6 straight years without making the playoffs for him,. 

I assume that would be final 3 in Boston and 2 plus years in Montreal, couldnt believe that when i heard it 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

I heard on the Blackhawks feed last night, that if CJ misses the playoffs again this year, it will be 6 straight years without making the playoffs for him,. 

I assume that would be final 3 in Boston and 2 plus years in Montreal, couldnt believe that when i heard it 

Knights fired GG for being tied for 7th, after making the cup finals the year before. Guess standards are different here in Montreal. When it comes to GM and Coach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Once people stop buying tickets and merchandise the owner will have some choices to make

Ya, that's gonna happen in a large city and province with 1 pro sports team.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I wouldn't say that, it was more when Molson bought the team back, when wining became less important.

Molson is more concerned about $$ than winning?

2 hours ago, Chris said:

He made the playoffs (we lost to the rangers) in his first year in montreal so that stat is wrong.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Winning brings in more playoff games and more money... so this is always a stupid argument in a salary cap league.

The team has been  ran the past 10 years the same way he ran it after 93'.  The on ice product has been bad the last 10 years. We haven't had a winning team now in the last 4 years , yet Nothing has changed.  So if wining brings in more playoff games and more money.....then how come no changes have been made the last 4 years to change it?  That tells me Molson doesn't really care about the hockey team as much as he does his Molson 🍺 sales.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

The last 10 years what direction has this organization gone since Molson has been back as owner? 

About same as 30 other organizations, better than some - worse than others? What does that have to do with what he is most "wanting" to do?

He had no problem taking on Weber's contract, offering his goalie huge sum of $$, paying up for Subban, offering good $$ for Oho-Gardiner-Alzner-Radulov and he isnt limiting Bergevin from spending to the cap.

What direction would you (realistically) be taking that is different, knowing the kids will all need raises over next few seasons and are seemingly limited free agents who will sign to play in Quebec.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Winning brings in more playoff games and more money... so this is always a stupid argument in a salary cap league.

Agreed, how much extra cash and beer sales does Molson's get when the Habs go a couple rounds in the playoffs. A ridiculous argument in my opinion. You can criticize the moves they have made but to think Molson makes more money when the Habs don't makes the playoffs (because of some extra cap room)  is just silly. 

5 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

The team has been  ran the past 10 years the same way he ran it after 93'.  The on ice product has been bad the last 10 years. We haven't had a winning team now in the last 4 years , yet Nothing has changed.  So if wining brings in more playoff games and more money.....then how come no changes have been made the last 4 years to change it?  That tells me Molson doesn't really care about the hockey team as much as he does his Molson 🍺 sales.

How do you define a winning team?  Last year they had 44 wins and 30 losses, you make it sound like they were horrible. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, how much extra cash and beer sales does Molson's get when the Habs go a couple rounds in the playoffs. A ridiculous argument in my opinion. You can criticize the moves they have made but to think Molson makes more money when the Habs don't makes the playoffs (because of some extra cap room)  is just silly. 

Profits have been estimated at 3-4 million per playoff game.

5 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Geoff Molson is a shareholder... however he is not on the board of directors and has no power in the business decisions of molson-coors on a day to day basis.

He is not involved in the beer business today (other than as a shareholder with a vote once a year at the AGM)

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Geoff Molson is a shareholder... however he is not on the board of directors and has no power in the business decisions of molson-coors on a day to day basis.

He is not involved in the beer business today (other than as a shareholder with a vote once a year at the AGM)

Arnt Coors and Molson basically same company now?

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Geoff actually is a director of Molson Coors since 2009, besides also being current 'ambassador' and shareholder. From June 2015 to May 2017 he served as chair of Molson Coors.. 

Currently he is responsible for key strategic areas.

Now from My own end and access to Liquor board data, and dealing with SAQ... Labatts has gained significant market share in Quebec.. 

So think it out and Geoff and Molson connection..  More Important to have main stay branding in team, to ensure market share.

He isn't just a shareholder... much more 

He is a current board member of Molson Coors,

1 hour ago, HabsWEST said:

Geoff actually is a director of Molson Coors since 2009, besides also being current 'ambassador' and shareholder. From June 2015 to May 2017 he served as chair of Molson Coors.. 

Currently he is responsible for key strategic areas.

Now from My own end and access to Liquor board data, and dealing with SAQ... Labatts has gained significant market share in Quebec.. 

So think it out and Geoff and Molson connection..  More Important to have main stay branding in team, to ensure market share.

He isn't just a shareholder... much more 

He is a current board member of Molson Coors,

My bad.  I had some bad info there that he stepped back from m-c when he took on more responsibility with the hockey team.

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

How do you define a winning team?  Last year they had 44 wins and 30 losses, you make it sound like they were horrible. 

I define wining by being looked at as a top team in the league. Being looked at as a lock to make the playoffs every year. Being looked at as a cup favorite every year. Being a team that everyone hates to play. That's how i define wining.

Wining to me isn't being a bubble team every year. Making excuse that injuries cost us the season. Making excuse that players didn't play up to their potential. That everything has to be lined just perfectly for this team to be a playoff team. Thats not wining to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I define wining by being looked at as a top team in the league. Being looked at as a lock to make the playoffs every year. Being looked at as a cup favorite every year. Being a team that everyone hates to play. That's how i define wining.

Wining to me isn't being a bubble team every year. Making excuse that injuries cost us the season. Making excuse that players didn't play up to their potential. That everything has to be lined just perfectly for this team to be a playoff team. Thats not wining to me.

Is the most winning team with unlimited salary cap and $$ in baseball a winner? They went 18 years between championships and i still was a fan of them. Which was last canadian team to win cup...so could be worse, could be a fan of any other canadian team.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Is the most winning team with unlimited salary cap and $$ in baseball a winner? They went 18 years between championships and i still was a fan of them. Which was last canadian team to win cup...so could be worse, could be a fan of any other canadian team.

What does that got to do with what I just posted 🤔

• dlbalr unpinned this topic