2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

^^^ 

“Another” former 3rd overall pick. I can think of a lot of them, and many not for great reasons. 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Bruce Boudreau fired in Minny 

Apparently his ‘underlying numbers’ as a coach are excellent. Being an Anglo, though, he wouldn’t be permitted to coach here no matter how good he is, and I for one have no real beef with CJ in any case. They are both especially distinguished entries in the fierce competition for NHL’s Homeliest Coach Award, however.

Looks like Minnesota kicked off the deadline deals 1 week early with the Zucker sale. NJ just traded Andy Greene to NYI for a 2nd and David Quenneville, and it appears Blake Coleman is on his way to Colorado. Do the other obvious sellers deal early too, or wait for the deadline to see if prices go up?

Blake coleman to tampa for Nolan Foote and Vancouvers 2020 first round pick.

I concede... if thats the price for blake coleman, trade everyone.  Tatar, Kovalchuk, Petry, Thompson, Cousins, Weal, trade em all.  Blake f'ing Coleman is worth 2 firsts. 

Tatar is surely worth both Lafreniere and Byfield in this marker.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I concede... if thats the price for blake coleman, trade everyone.  Tatar, Kovalchuk, Petry, Thompson, Cousins, Weal, trade em all.  Blake f'ing Coleman is worth 2 firsts. 

I think there's a case to be made that Coleman got a better return than Taylor Hall.  Yes, Hall is a rental but still.  Nice job by Tom Fitzgerald.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I was all on  board to keep Tatar, but my god, if Coleman gets that return what does Tuna bring back? 

I'd work on signing Kovalchuk and Petry

I will be shocked if they trade Petry. This D is already a disaster even with his excellence.

Tuna is tradeable and MB has a strong track record at the trade table. This should prove a fruitful deadline for us. That's good, because the prospect pool still needs an infusion of elite talent IMHO. The top-10 pick will help as well. 

No reason not to trade Petry for those reasons you mentioned, 

if they are rebuilding why do they need a 2nd vet D on the team, they are a 500 team with him, a non playoff team 4 out of the last 5 years, what is 5-10 extra losses a year?

They already have Weber and Chairot as vets, 

Habs need legit young talent, not aging vets 

you are no doubt getting a high end D  prospect and a 1st back 

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

No reason not to trade Petry for those reasons you mentioned, 

if they are rebuilding why do they need a 2nd vet D on the team, they are a 500 team with him, a non playoff team 4 out of the last 5 years, what is 5-10 extra losses a year?

They already have Weber and Chairot as vets, 

Habs need legit young talent, not aging vets 

you are no doubt getting a high end D  prospect and a 1st back 

With Petry gone, the team's return to the playoffs would be set back, potentially by years.

How long is this fershlugginer 'retool' supposed to go on? We've unintentionally tanked for four out of five seasons, a run of failure rivalling that of Houle. I for one have no desire to stretch it out for another 2-3 years, which seems a plausible outcome of fire-bombing a d-corps that is already a walking catastrophe.

They are not making the playoffs with him, as the past 5 years have shown 

Doing the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity

The "core" important players on this team have shown they don't have it, 

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

They are not making the playoffs with him, as the past 5 years have shown 

Doing the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity

The "core" important players on this team have shown they don't have it, 

I think the idea is to add to the core and upgrade it, not blow a huge gaping hole in it. A team shouldn't need 6-7 years to get good. We've been mostly terrible for half a decade, that's enough for me, thanks. 

For example, say we add Romanov next season and he provides some uplift to the LD as a bottom-pairing guy easing in. That'd be a net gain. But subtract Petry and it becomes a disaster. 

That said, I'm not a 'tank-ist,' so we may just have a fundamental difference of philosophy on this.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

They can't do a Petry extension until July at the earliest.

He should be moved along with Tatar given the prices some teams are getting.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

With Petry gone, the team's return to the playoffs would be set back, potentially by years.

How long is this fershlugginer 'retool' supposed to go on? We've unintentionally tanked for four out of five seasons, a run of failure rivalling that of Houle. I for one have no desire to stretch it out for another 2-3 years, which seems a plausible outcome of fire-bombing a d-corps that is already a walking catastrophe.

How many playoffs have they missed with Petry in the lineup.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

How many playoffs have they missed with Petry in the lineup.

That's dodgy logic for sure. How many playoffs have the Oilers missed with McDavid? It doesn't follow that they shoukd trade McDavid.

But I get it. If you as a fan are willing to have an absolutely terrible team for the next 3-5 years, then sure, we should trade all of our top veterans.My own feeling is that a half decade of suckage is sufficient, especially considering that we will be getting yet *another* high pick this season plus whatever else we can wheedle at the deadline. Enough is enough.

Just now, Chris said:

if they keep Petry they will be a terrible team for 3-5 years, 

there is no difference

So, subtracting a legit #2 d-man makes no difference to team success?

And I don't agree that we are destined to be terrible for the next three years. We should be working our prospects in and having our young players improve. I have a lot of trouble seeing a contender in all this, but 'terrible' seems a major overstatement.

I call it how i see it, 

There is nothing to indicate the current core players will ever be anything different, just older 

Hey, if missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 years is ok by other habs fans, that's on them

I have higher expectations then mediocre 

Watch a good team play hockey, habs are way off 

42 minutes ago, Chris said:

I call it how i see it, 

There is nothing to indicate the current core players will ever be anything different, just older 

Hey, if missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 years is ok by other habs fans, that's on them

I have higher expectations then mediocre 

Watch a good team play hockey, habs are way off 

But what you're saying is that we should act in a fashion which guarantees that we will miss the playoffs - and in fact be a bottom-feeder - for another 4 or 5 years. I respect that, but I'll pass, thanks. Bergevin should have made moves last summer to improve on the 2018-19 team, and he didn't. Now his job is to make moves to improve on the team before us. And he'd better frigging do it.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic