2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

59 minutes ago, Chris said:

I call it how i see it, 

There is nothing to indicate the current core players will ever be anything different, just older 

Hey, if missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 years is ok by other habs fans, that's on them

I have higher expectations then mediocre 

Watch a good team play hockey, habs are way off 

I hear they are recruiting for members on the Leafs forum... #JustSaying

• Upvote 2

I do, but i don't have pom pom's working full time

and im not a band wagon guy,  it would be easy to jump on the home team AVS train but just cant do it

Not my fault the habs are irrelevant 

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

What's Bergevin doing, wtf you rushing Weber back. You didn't learn your lesson from rushing Gallagher back 😡😡😡

I don't think Bergevin has anything to do with this.  General managers don't have the authority to overrule team doctors who apparently have told Weber that he can't do any more damage to it if he tries to play through the injury.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's dodgy logic for sure. How many playoffs have the Oilers missed with McDavid? It doesn't follow that they shoukd trade McDavid.

But I get it. If you as a fan are willing to have an absolutely terrible team for the next 3-5 years, then sure, we should trade all of our top veterans.My own feeling is that a half decade of suckage is sufficient, especially considering that we will be getting yet *another* high pick this season plus whatever else we can wheedle at the deadline. Enough is enough.

I don’t WANT to have a lousy team for 3-5 years.  I just don’t see the current core being effective players by the time our hopeful prospects/rookies hit their stride.  For us to succeed at a minimum, Suzuki, Kk, Romanov and Caufield have to be absolute stud core pieces and others like Brooke, Evans, Poehling have to be legitimate top 4 D/top 6/middle six impact players.  By that time Petry, if he resigns) Weber and price  are going to be cap anchors - price hasn’t earned  his pay the last two years.  We need to blew up the core and bring in more affordable veterans.

everyone keeps talking about Edmonton and buffalo as examples of tanking doesn’t work. Those teams suck because they have they have had same rotten management team/coaching/development staff as us. Highlighted by stupid trades and rushing in players before they are ready and having crap AHL development.

i don’t think MB will lead us to ever being a true contender.  Yes, he picked up some good kids.  But than he is rushing them in before they are ready and will continue to yo-yo them between NHL and AHL, rather them dominate at one level and letting them become physically mature.  You look at Vancouver.  Paterson is an elite talent who benefited from more time in Europe (as Kk would have).  He is still slight of frame but he is a absolute stud talent wise and is ready to dominate.  KK wasn’t.  They could have blown it with Hughes, but he was smart enough to know despite the Canucks rushing him in, that he was better off with the extra year in college - just as maxpac was smart enough to tell management he’d rather be on a top line in the AHL rather than being a 4th liner in Montreal.

Monteals scouting is flawed - Timmons has a high rate of NHL players, but were are the krejki, Pasternak, Marchand, Kucherov, Point, goude, level talents????

timmons has draftee three elite dman (potentially 4 in romonaov), in McDonough, sergechev and Subban, but gainey and MB moved them for peanuts.  He’s drafted two elite forwards (maxpac and Gallagher).  Potentially hr has another one in Suzuki and I still have hopes for Kk and Poehling, but I don’t have much confidence that they will get the proper development needed.  They aren’t a McDavid who would be a superstar even if he was coached by tremblay, milbury, or melrose. Otherwise we have picked up 4th liners.

id rather have a new management agemt team come in develop the good prospects we have and build for the future than live ground hog day for another 27 years.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Chris has taken over from H29 as the ray of sunshine in the forum.

While you are the bastion of using state to make useless points.

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think Bergevin has anything to do with this.  General managers don't have the authority to overrule team doctors who apparently have told Weber that he can't do any more damage to it if he tries to play through the injury.

Didn’t the doctors make the same call with price during the last Olympic year?

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

timmons has draftee three elite dman (potentially 4 in romonaov), in McDonough, sergechev and Subban, but gainey and MB moved them for peanuts.

Subban was traded for Weber, who was clearly elite.

Sergachev was traded (as a rookie) for Drouin, who had scored 53 points in 73 games and clearly had elite potential.

McDonaugh was traded (as a prospect) as part of a package to get Gomez, who had scored 70 points for the Devils and was clearly elite.

I don't think that's "peanuts" -- even if not all those trades worked out the way we hoped they would.

I do note that in all three cases we traded younger players for older ones. That's the "win now" mentality that did not get us anywhere.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Subban was traded for Weber, who was clearly elite.

Sergachev was traded (as a rookie) for Drouin, who had scored 53 points in 73 games and clearly had elite potential.

McDonaugh was traded (as a prospect) as part of a package to get Gomez, who had scored 70 points for the Devils and was clearly elite.

I don't think that's "peanuts" -- even if not all those trades worked out the way we hoped they would.

I do note that in all three cases we traded younger players for older ones. That's the "win now" mentality that did not get us anywhere.

Meant to say sergechev and McDonough trades were for peanuts, although I don’t like the Subban- weber  trade because of the age and term and despite Subban having a down year still don’t. Price and Weber have consistently been injured the last few years.  And that is our core and they are just going to get older.

drouin had elite potential.  So did yakapov.  So did Galchenyuk.  It was clear he doesn’t have much hockey sense and is a floater.  He also traded for Drouin in the hope of making him a centre - despite not letting Galchenyuk play centre consistently. When he made the Subban trade he said that picking up Sergechev made it easier to trade Subban. Then he trades sergechev when D was a clear weakness.  MB has always been a dog chasing his own tail.

as far as the Gomez trade. Home has the worst contract in the NHL at the time and was consider unmovable.  Sure he was elite at one time.  He was in decline and the NY media wanted him out of town strung on a rail it was dumb to even consider making the deal, let alone make it without getting extra prospects in return - certainly not one to make in moving one of your best prospects. Saying home was elite, is like saying Semin was elite at one time, how did that Hail Mary by MB turn out? At least that didn’t cost assets.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

MB didn't trade McDonagh

If you read the post, i said traded by MB and gainey.

25 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How can you be a ray of sunshine when the team hasn't made the playoffs in 4 years.

Some people are sunny, shiny, happy people when the team keeps losing and they are good with it, like leafs fans were during the Ballard years - the ones that wore bags over their heads were called not real fans.  But the what’s the big surprise, when there was a time that people refused to believe the earth was round.

33 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How can you be a ray of sunshine when the team hasn't made the playoffs in 4 years.

1st.... 3 years....   this will be the third straight season of missing.   #fakestats

2nd.... my point is that one can criticize the bad and praise the good.  When someone cant talk about both good and bad in an organization, then bias shows and i cant take the critiques seriously.  There are positives and negatives in every organization in the league, but some only see negatives no matter where they look.  

Comparing things to.the ballard years is just showing that H29 hasnt given up his title.

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1st.... 3 years....   this will be the third straight season of missing.   #fakestats

2nd.... my point is that one can criticize the bad and praise the good.  When someone cant talk about both good and bad in an organization, then bias shows and i cant take the critiques seriously.  There are positives and negatives in every organization in the league, but some only see negatives no matter where they look.  

Comparing things to.the ballard years is just showing that H29 hasnt given up his title.

Who's comparing what 🤔. I just don't like how he has handle the big club. I didn't compare him to anyone.

Its funny because you discredit trying to end up with a better draft pick because you say draft picks Rarely turn out.

But then you credit Bergevin for his drafting. So if as you say draft picks rarely turn out who knows what this club will be in 5 years. The only thing for sure is Price would probably be past his prime and Weber will be at the end of his career.

And saying every year that our stats are great but we are just unlucky in not finishing or getting injured, ignores the heart of the problem.  We lack talent to be anything other a mediocre bubble team at best and talking about the great prospects that our going to make us a contender is what every leaf fan said during the Ballard days in the 80’s when they were drafting Wendal Clark, Luke Richardson, al iafrate, Gary Leeman, Nylund, Bennington, marios, damphouse, courtnall and other great hopes.

I think living in the GTA has infected you with leafdelusionalitus disease.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Who's comparing what 🤔. I just don't like how he has handle the big club. I didn't compare him to anyone.

Its funny because you discredit trying to end up with a better draft pick because you say draft picks Rarely turn out.

But then you credit Bergevin for his drafting. So if as you say draft picks rarely turn out who knows what this club will be in 5 years. The only thing for sure is Price would probably be past his prime and Weber will be at the end of his career.

I didnt say draft picks rarely turn out.

I said the difference between the 9th and 12th pick isnt worth worrying about.  Statistically both have almost the exact same percentage of being a star.  Its up to the scouts at that point, not being a couple picks higher.

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And saying every year that our stats are great but we are just unlucky in not finishing or getting injured, ignores the heart of the problem.  We lack talent to be anything other a mediocre bubble team at best and talking about the great prospects that our going to make us a contender is what every leaf fan said during the Ballard days in the 80’s when they were drafting Wendal Clark, Luke Richardson, al iafrate, Gary Leeman, Nylund, Bennington, marios, damphouse, courtnall and other great hopes.

I think living in the GTA has infected you with leafdelusionalitus disease.

Blah, blah, blah... irrelevant 80s leafs nonsense... blah, blah.

The Vancouver Canucks get Tyler Toffoli

The LA Kings get Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, and a Second Round pick...

Good pick up for the Canucks, dont know the prospects but assuming one of them is a top prospect

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Good pick up for the Canucks, dont know the prospects but assuming one of them is a top prospect

Madden is one of the top scorers in the NCAA this season as a sophomore.  I don't know if I'd put him as a top prospect but an above average one for sure.

I didnt say draft picks rarely turn out.

I said the difference between the 9th and 12th pick isnt worth worrying about.  Statistically both have almost the exact same percentage of being a star.  Its up to the scouts at that point, not being a couple picks higher.

What pick was Pastrnak taken with ???  What pick were kucherav and debrinicat (ours pick by the way wasted on Shaw), picked with???  I have no problem moving Tatar, Petry for additional late  firsts and seconds.  We just have to do a better job at drafting and development - something I don’t trust MB with.  How many elite type players has he actually been responsible for drafting AND developing????

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Blah, blah, blah... irrelevant 80s leafs nonsense... blah, blah.

Blah blah blah, I’m commandant klink and am a know it all only my opinion matters and everything else is irrelevant!!

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Blah blah blah, in commandant klink and am a know it all only my opinion matters and everything else is irrelevant!!

You tell em Sgt Shultz.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic