2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What pick was Pastrnak taken with ???  What pick were kucherav and debrinicat (ours pick by the way wasted on Shaw), picked with???  I have no problem moving Tatar, Petry for additional late  firsts and seconds.  We just have to do a better job at drafting and development - something I don’t trust MB with.  How many elite type players has he actually been responsible for drafting AND developing????

Getting additional picks is a good idea.  I never said otherwise.  More swings is better.

My only point has always been that "tanking" so you pick a couple spots higher isnt worth it unless you can get a top 3 pick... and with the way the lottery works there are no guarantees.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Blah blah blah, I’m commandant klink and am a know it all only my opinion matters and everything else is irrelevant!!

Pot meet kettle

Only its not me you argue against.  Its usually some made up move Bergevin should have made but didnt... only with no evidence it was even available.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Pot meet kettle

Only its not me you argue against.  Its usually some made up move Bergevin should have made but didnt... only with no evidence it was even available.

And your argument for years has been statistically we are good but unlucky and dealing with injuries.

for someone who constantly complains about personal attacks you start the most from any poster in this forum. But I guess that comes wit the territory of being a lawyer.

Its a personal attack to point out that everything you post is negative?

Not in my books.

Attacking the posts... and attacking the poster with name calling are two different things (note im NOT saying you have made any personal attacks here).

That said i have not always said we are good and dealing with injuries.

I said the 2018 team.sucked.

I said the 2019 team was good 5v5 but being crap on the PP cost them a playoff spot.

I will say that poor goaltending in the first half, lack of a top 4 d on the left side, defensive errors, and yes injuries have combined to hurt a team that could have been good with the way they control the play.

You on the other hand have posted that everything is awful all the time.  I think in less than 5% of what you right have you ever said a single thing you like about the current team.  You also disappear when the team is winning and only post when things are going poorly.

Tinordi and Beaulieu havbe to be blamed on Gauthier, if we blame the GM

McCarron, MB has admitted, was a rookie mistake where he trusted the scouting team. 

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Tinordi and Beaulieu havbe to be blamed on Gauthier, if we blame the GM

McCarron, MB has admitted, was a rookie mistake where he trusted the scouting team. 

He also blamed the scouting on the galchenyuk pick. Just like he blame's injuries, and his players on not playing up to their potential for reasons not making the playoffs. Oh and the fact it's hard to make trades to improve the team and the only way you can get a elite player is by drafting them. Blah, blah, blah........ Same old same old.

Pick a direction and go with it, that's all I have to say. If you as a gm want to build the team through the draft that's fine. But you need to go all in with the rebuild, you trade Price, Weber, Tatar, Byron, Petry get as much draft picks and prospects and NHL ready prospects as you can. Don't worry about playoffs.

If you're going to worry about playoffs then this isn't no rebuild and as a gm you should of upgrade this team in the off season to improve it from last year. Which you didn't.

Either upgrade to improve the team or blow up the old cord and rebuild .

Just pick a path and stop this bubble team BS that's been going on the last 8 years.

The only thing guarantee in 4 years is price will be older and weber will be close to retirement. And guys like petry, Tatar and Byron might not even be with the team since their contracts will be coming to a end by then.

I have this gut feeling that MB really believes he has a winning roster and will use all the excuses to keep this garbage bunch together.

I hope im wrong and he sticks to the whatever he called the rebuild and sells at the deadline. 

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

He also blamed the scouting on the galchenyuk pick. Just like he blame's injuries, and his players on not playing up to their potential for reasons not making the playoffs. Oh and the fact it's hard to make trades to improve the team and the only way you can get a elite player is by drafting them. Blah, blah, blah........ Same old same old.

Pick a direction and go with it, that's all I have to say. If you as a gm want to build the team through the draft that's fine. But you need to go all in with the rebuild, you trade Price, Weber, Tatar, Byron, Petry get as much draft picks and prospects and NHL ready prospects as you can. Don't worry about playoffs.

If you're going to worry about playoffs then this isn't no rebuild and as a gm you should of upgrade this team in the off season to improve it from last year. Which you didn't.

Either upgrade to improve the team or blow up the old cord and rebuild .

Just pick a path and stop this bubble team BS that's been going on the last 8 years.

The only thing guarantee in 4 years is price will be older and weber will be close to retirement. And guys like petry, Tatar and Byron might not even be with the team since their contracts will be coming to a end by then.

So..... why don’t we throw 10 different negative angles that contradict one another out there and then maybe one of them will stick.

The plan this season was to make the playoffs. MB didn’t do enough in the offseason to improve our team. 

Whether or not it’s true, that’s all that needed to be said. We were not rebuilding this year so all that trade Price and Weber talk is moot. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

So..... why don’t we throw 10 different negative angles that contradict one another out there and then maybe one of them will stick.

The plan this season was to make the playoffs. MB didn’t do enough in the offseason to improve our team. 

Whether or not it’s true, that’s all that needed to be said. We were not rebuilding this year so all that trade Price and Weber talk is moot. 

Lesson all I want from Bergevin is to pick a path for this team and not always leave it in limbo.

He says the goal is to be a playoff team. But then does nothing to improve the team's odds in making the playoffs. The only time he does anything is mid season when the season is in jeopardy.

Just pick a path and do it right.

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

He also blamed the scouting on the galchenyuk pick.

I'd be very curious to see some source for those 2 statements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MB and GM have been very clear on the direction they are taking the team

hired two young coach prospects, and a proven D coach. Piled lots of picks for a couple of years to bring the pipeline to a respectable level. Build a core of veterans to lead the prospects as they become the contending team

Entering the season, they had a playoff bound team. Price was shot and injuries happened; now they are playing for honour and trying to continue path 

Claims that scouting is bad, picks from 10 years ago are relevant and Lefevre’ coaching have any incidence on this season are unfounded

Claims that the organization is not working to improve things is not true given t he overall improvement in depth, prospect pool and no-quit attitude

The NHL team lacks elite talent. The AHL does not have elite prospects. And there are two holes at the NHL that need to be addressed : backup goalie and LD

so, what’s all this complaining about 

4 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I’ll look it up, on McCarron but he is on record saying that 

16 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Its on record saying he wanted to draft Morgan Rielly but was told to go with galchenyuk. On his first year as GM 

McCarron was all him though, that's when he was looking for that big gritty center. They could of probably had him in the 3rd round didn't need to draft him with the first pick.

19 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

McCarron was all him though, that's when he was looking for that big gritty center. They could of probably had him in the 3rd round didn't need to draft him with the first pick.

Back then, there were many other GMs looking for big, gritty centres, too ... not many of them foresaw the game changing the way it has.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I know just saying he wasn't a first round pick. 

Agree that he shouldn't have been. Just saying that another GM, too, might have been foolish enough to pick him in the first.

52 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Its on record saying he wanted to draft Morgan Rielly but was told to go with galchenyuk. On his first year as GM 

While i ranked him as a third rounder... i was pretty much the only analyst who did.  He wasnt falling to the third round.

Just like Tyler Biggs, i predicted a GM would fall in love with the size and overlook the flaws.  Someone was taking him early 2nd round at latest imo.

It was a bad pick but there is no chance he could have been taken later (third round). That wasnt an option.

No need to be revisionist on this. Its fine to.just say it.was a bad pick.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

They could of probably had him in the 3rd round didn't need to draft him with the first pick.

I call BS on that! Not a chance in hell he was not being picked in the 1st 60, most likely in top 45.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Yes, your not the only one.

Both Tinordi and McCarron were "Anti- Smurf" picks, I think Molson had a hand in those 2 picks. And I would guess they were not Timmin's 1st choices

Galchenyuk, was a very popular pick and I cant remember anyone not liking it?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

While i ranked him as a third rounder... i was pretty much the only analyst who did.  He wasnt falling to the third round.

Just like Tyler Biggs, i predicted a GM would fall in love with the size and overlook the flaws.  Someone was taking him early 2nd round at latest imo.

It was a bad pick but there is no chance he could have been taken later (third round). That wasnt an option.

No need to be revisionist on this. Its fine to.just say it.was a bad pick.

A nice article from 2013 here, starts off with the McCarron pick and a thrown laptop ...

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/7/7/4486444/canadiens-habs-draft-nhl-debriefing-evaluation-philosophy-timmins-bergevin-mccarron

A bad pick -- but was it a bad pick made because everyone was complaining about the smurfs?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Where did you see that?

I am sure I heard him say it on the radio, probably to Ron Fournier. I need to check if there is a transcript of that or a reference in a blog or newspaper.

It was after he was almost fired and he had stopped given interviews. Part of the "be more transparent" media interviews he did at the end of one summer. I forget which one (2018?)

I'll look for it. But I am 100% he said it

I just honestly don’t feel that there’s a plan that’s in place that’s being stuck to.

case in point if this team is out of the playoff picture by the all star break he goes out and make trades for a playoff push.

if there’s a play to go young and build through the draft, we shouldn’t be thinking playoffs.  If we happen to be close or make it, that should be look at as a bonus. But the end goal should be the draft and setting us up for a better percentage of getting a really talented player.

I just don't see that happening here. With this reset we probably only have one top prospect in Caulfield. I don't count the others because we have all ready had them in our system.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic