2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A nice article from 2013 here, starts off with the McCarron pick and a thrown laptop ...

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/7/7/4486444/canadiens-habs-draft-nhl-debriefing-evaluation-philosophy-timmins-bergevin-mccarron

A bad pick -- but was it a bad pick made because everyone was complaining about the smurfs?

I remember making a similar post about throwing a tv out the window when he was taken.

Someone was gonna take him high, i was just hoping it wouldnt be us.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its a personal attack to point out that everything you post is negative?

Not in my books.

Attacking the posts... and attacking the poster with name calling are two different things (note im NOT saying you have made any personal attacks here).

That said i have not always said we are good and dealing with injuries.

I said the 2018 team.sucked.

I said the 2019 team was good 5v5 but being crap on the PP cost them a playoff spot.

I will say that poor goaltending in the first half, lack of a top 4 d on the left side, defensive errors, and yes injuries have combined to hurt a team that could have been good with the way they control the play.

You on the other hand have posted that everything is awful all the time.  I think in less than 5% of what you right have you ever said a single thing you like about the current team.  You also disappear when the team is winning and only post when things are going poorly.

I don’t disappear when the tea is winning. I had two extended stints in the hospital the past year.  I Did post when we were winning that I’ve seen this story before. And no l I don’t see much positive, because I still don’t see a clear plan or actual results - a contending playoff team.  If we are doing a retool, than we should have solidified our defence and backup goaltending.  If we are not going to fill those holes and wast unused cap space as one of the richest teams in the league we should be using that cap space to get 1st rounders in exchange for bad contracts and selling out veterans who are just going to be too old to be of use in 3 to 4 years when the kids we HOPING are impact players become impact players and will need to be paid accordingly.  Hell, even a budget conccious team like the canes took on salary for picks.

Alec Martinez going from LA to Vegas in exchange for 2020 and 2021 second-round picks. 32yo LD, 1g+7a this year, one year left on a $4M contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/vegas-golden-knights-acquire-alec-martinez-from-los-angeles-kings-1.1445304

LA now has 11 picks in 2020 and either eight or nine in 2021.

Wheeler on the draft:

"The strength of this draft class is its depth of star-level players, with at least nine kids I’m confident have the talent levels needed to progress into top-line NHL options. These are kids who would be top-five talents in most other drafts. As a result, this is a better year than most to lose one of the draft lotteries."

Today @ 12:46 PM ET  
Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun · 6m6 minutes ago

Hearing Ondrej Kase being traded to Boston

First round pick, David Backes and a prospect to Anaheim (Axel Andersson)

34 minutes ago, Chris said:

Just imagine the return on Petry and tatar 

Yeah, but MB has to move fast. A lot of the serious contenders are the ones who will overpay and a lot of them have made their moves. The Scandella deal was great, but I want to see bigger moves with higher returns. Last thing I want is the Vanek situation where buffalo waited so long and we got him for peanuts.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but MB has to move fast. A lot of the serious contenders are the ones who will overpay and a lot of them have made their moves. The Scandella deal was great, but I want to see bigger moves with higher returns. Last thing I want is the Vanek situation where buffalo waited so long and we got him for peanuts.

It's a different scenario though.  The Islanders waited too long and had to trade Vanek for what they could get.  He was a pending free agent, Tatar and Petry aren't.  They're not in must-trade situations as a result and if they were to wait until the offseason, there would probably be more teams interested than there would be now due to the standings and current cap situations for some teams.  I'm not opposed to moving them if the right move comes up but I'm not certain that the best offer wouldn't come in June either.

Every year is different too.

Waiting to.the last minute on a vanek one year might be a mistake as there were not enough suitors left and they had to sell him cheap.

Other years you might be the last one with a player two or three teams need and someone overpays.

Is it a gamble to wait? Sure.  But assuming the market will always work the same way is silly.  I bet the devils wish they waited on trading taylor hall.

Also like brian says we were in the same year plus a bit situation with Patches too... and we got more by waiting to the summer.  So its not a one size fits all strategy.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's a different scenario though.  The Islanders waited too long and had to trade Vanek for what they could get.  He was a pending free agent, Tatar and Petry aren't.  They're not in must-trade situations as a result and if they were to wait until the offseason, there would probably be more teams interested than there would be now due to the standings and current cap situations for some teams.  I'm not opposed to moving them if the right move comes up but I'm not certain that the best offer wouldn't come in June either.

Not saying to move them doe lower retuen.  But if you look at some of the returns, we should be able to get much more for Petry and Tatar by some who wants to go for it.  If the return is not there wait till summer.

What I’m opposed to is thinking we can make it next year and hold on to them until the next trade deadline.

54 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

If the Habs did't' suck so bad this season,  I could be on Facebook going off on Leafs fans about their loss to Ayres 😢

Habs: How embarrassing, we lost all 4 games against Detroit, one of the worst NHL teams in history

Leafs: HOLD MY BEER!

• Like 1

Snoop Dogg does his 2nd year in a row as a color commentator for a Kings game.

I love the fun the Kings have with their broadcasts. Snoop Dogg, Thomas Middleditch as Tony Babcock... give me that kind of entertainment over 8000 segments on small-town hockey any day.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic