2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

That should have happened weeks ago.  Planes, trains, busses...they are virus incubators basically.  Surfaces coated, people jammed in close together breathing in recirculated air...the perfect recipe for transmission.

Sounds great in theory, but what if your Canadian and can’t get back home?  I’ve got parents age 70 and 80 that are stuck overseas and we’ve been trying to change their flights for a week.  We booked with Justfly.com and the still haven’t processed the flight changes, because they are awaiting in their airline waiver codes and the airlines while making all these great claims on waiving fees are only helpful if bookings were made on their site.

even for flights booked with airlines it’s an issue.  I’m trying to cancel flights to Toronto that we booked on the westjet site, but because I booked on westjet site using westjet dollars for a portion of the payment I can’t make change online and I have to call their toll free number - which is has a recording that they aren’t taking calls.

its easy to say shut down the airport, trains, etc, if you are sitting safe at home and not stuck in a foreign country on vacation.  But what do those people do that are out of country with pew-existing medical conditions and have no health coverage???

what they should be doing is doing mandatory swab tests as soon as you get off the plan and have a required quarantine - not this self isolation for 14 days bullshit.  I had to go in self isolation until my tests came back negative - and I did stay home.  but there are people that aren’t following the guidelines.  There’s a YouTube video of a guy in the USA that is supposed to be in self isolation and is standing in line at a pharmacy to buy face masks and is being interviewed on tv about the long wait times and he told them he is supposed to be in self isolation.  There are also people that have just come back from Italy and weren’t told to go in isolation upon arrival.

govenrments business continuity plan has been poorly developed, too slow to respond and very reactionary.

in Alberta on Saturday the education minister gave a detailed dissertation on why there is no value in closing schools and why it’s important to keep the schools open, with greater precautions put in place , the next day they closed schools.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

That should have happened weeks ago.  Planes, trains, busses...they are virus incubators basically.  Surfaces coated, people jammed in close together breathing in recirculated air...the perfect recipe for transmission.

1 idiot flew up from Seattle on weekend to attend a wedding in a village near me. And after wedding he started showing symptoms, then confirmed and of course 4-5 wedding attendees now confirmed as well. Am sure some of other fellow travellers on his plane are paying price as well.

Just cant fix stupid can you!:wall:

On 3/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, DON said:

1 idiot flew up from Seattle on weekend to attend a wedding in a village near me. And after wedding he started showing symptoms, then confirmed and of course 4-5 wedding attendees now confirmed as well. Am sure some of other fellow travellers on his plane are paying price as well.

Just cant fix stupid can you!:wall:

There should have been a strict border shutdown over a month ago...our idiot leadership in Ottawa dropped the damn ball.  You can't trust people to do the right thing...you have to force it / put heavy penalties in place to get compliance.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

There should have been a strict border shutdown over a month ago...our idiot leadership in Ottawa dropped the damn ball.  You can't trust people to do the right thing...you have to force it / put heavy penalties in place to get compliance.

Same here in Sweden. Idiot politicians allways react to slow. I live in a skiing resort area. Norway Skiingresort is 40 miles from here. In norway everything is closed but here there is alot of visitors going to afterski parties with 100s of people.

borders to norway is of course closed so they will not be affected of our stupid politicians.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, DON said:

Assume draft wont be physically held in Montreal this year, will they likely get a bye and host the 2021 draft instead?

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that there will be no in-person draft. I expect the NHL has a tech team working on logistics for a virtual draft already.

But 2021 ... odds are that it would be in Seattle, so Montreal might end up getting the 2022 event instead.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that there will be no in-person draft. I expect the NHL has a tech team working on logistics for a virtual draft already.

But 2021 ... odds are that it would be in Seattle, so Montreal might end up getting the 2022 event instead.

They didnt for Vegas yet; but, Seattle is good guess.

But, they may hold end of year awards in Seattle, as have in Vegas instead?

With news circulating that we could see playoff hockey in August, the formality of cancelling the NHL draft for it's original date has happened.

BTW throw out the schedule for all critical dates. It will take some cooperation from the NHLPA but don't expect signing rights deadlines, qualifying offer deadlines, the opening of free agency, and (obviously) the draft to follow the usual plan.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This sucks for the draftees, as the draft will likely be held in hotel like in 2005, or via conference call or something like that, and they won't be able to attend in person.

I expect it'll be all virtual, with video links between all the team locations and NHL central etc, something that wasn't really as practical yet in 2005. I don't think they'll want to bring a thousand (or more) people into a hotel, either.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:14 PM, tomh009 said:

LeBrun

"The Montreal Canadiens have been assured by the league that they will get the chance to host the NHL Draft again in the next couple of years, and while the formation of this year’s event has yet to be determined due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, there are some intriguing possibilities."

On 3/19/2020 at 12:31 PM, sbhatt said:

I agree as soon as Canada heard about the virus in china they should of shutdown borders/plane's/ and ships from entering Canada. Then once they got better info about the virus and saw it wasn't a threat reopen everything. I think they underestimated the virus and took it to lightly, everyone not just Canada.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:51 PM, tomh009 said:

I expect it'll be all virtual, with video links between all the team locations and NHL central etc, something that wasn't really as practical yet in 2005. I don't think they'll want to bring a thousand (or more) people into a hotel, either.

What they can do is hold the draft in July/August . I think that it should get better after April. If not then the government is hiding something.

But with that said have it in July or August, tell all players and fans to stay home. all gm's set up a war room (NFL like) at their home  area and you do the draft through draft video. You can use the ping pong balls method like they did in 05' to determine the order.

Then you have free agency right after.  That way you can start the season on time. Then at the end of Next season you can still hold a draft the normal way.

18 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I agree as soon as Canada heard about the virus in china they should of shutdown borders/plane's/ and ships from entering Canada. Then once they got better info about the virus and saw it wasn't a threat reopen everything. I think they underestimated the virus and took it to lightly, everyone not just Canada.

I am sure there are warnings for viruses all the time. If every nation reacts like that on every warning the world will be crazy.

what needs to be done is to make China understand that if something like this comes from their nation again while they try to hide it, they shall get the north korea treathment. Total isolation and blocked borders. 

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

make China understand that if something like this comes from their nation again while they try to hide it, they shall get the north korea treathment. Total isolation and blocked borders. 

This is kookiest thing i heard today; but, dont worry Trump will no doubt top you.:blink:

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

No this should be a weak up call to north American that they shouldn't allow companies to move their business to China just to save money. Things need to change after this.

Are you kidding?  Come on, be realistic!

AND, what would that have to do with the current virus situation or NHL?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DON said:

This is kookiest thing i heard today; but, dont worry Trump will no doubt top you.:blink:

I think Trump already did that- and probably will even top himself a few more times

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I am sure there are warnings for viruses all the time. If every nation reacts like that on every warning the world will be crazy.

what needs to be done is to make China understand that if something like this comes from their nation again while they try to hide it, they shall get the north korea treathment. Total isolation and blocked borders. 

No this should be a weak up call to north American that they shouldn't allow companies to move their business to China just to save money. Things need to change after this.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Trump already did that- and probably will even top himself a few more times

Is a pretty low immature bar he sets and lowers almost daily.:canada:

4 hours ago, DON said:

Are you kidding?  Come on, be realistic!

AND, what would that have to do with the current virus situation or NHL?

What does it have to do????.... Look at the empty shelves in the stores. We wouldn't have to worry about that if these companies made the products in north American. 

28 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

What does it have to do????.... Look at the empty shelves in the stores. We wouldn't have to worry about that if these companies made the products in north American. 

What stores?Most have maintained essentials, havent they? Aside form medical suppplies of course.

50 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I didn’t realize toilet paper sold in Canada was made in china🙄

• dlbalr unpinned this topic