2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

On 6/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, DON said:

Athletic crew, figures Habs vs Pitt is like triple-A team vs the Yankees and unless Price pulls a Hasek not a chance.

Given that Habs ended with 3 losses and just 3g in those losses, seems like should be a one-sided series and Habs will hopefully at least retain a top ten pick for the October? draft..

The Athletic also had an article earlier that Montreal is the most dangerous of all the lower seeded play-in teams due to their 5v5 play and that's without even looking at Carey Price.

https://theathletic.com/1834433/2020/05/25/price-check-5-reasons-montreal-could-win-a-play-in-outside-of-goaltending/

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Athletic also had an article earlier that Montreal is the most dangerous of all the lower seeded play-in teams due to their 5v5 play and that's without even looking at Carey Price.

https://theathletic.com/1834433/2020/05/25/price-check-5-reasons-montreal-could-win-a-play-in-outside-of-goaltending/

Ha haaa, fun article! With some valid points.

That bit about the Habs being on the road, and this helping them (especially the PP) is intriguing.

And when you see that bit about the habs 5-on-5 under Julien, it's kinda hard to be too down on Mr. Kindly Old Coach.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha haaa, fun article! With some valid points.

That bit about the Habs being on the road, and this helping them (especially the PP) is intriguing.

And when you see that bit about the habs 5-on-5 under Julien, it's kinda hard to be too down on Mr. Kindly Old Coach.

But, havent they been good 5 on 5 for 2 years? Means jack...squat!:B)

5 minutes ago, DON said:

In the playoffs, when less penalties are called?  It could mean a lot more. 

Lets also remember this team was pretty good at the start of the year before Drouin and Byron got hurt in Washington.  They are coming back almost fully healthy.  The only question mark is Kotkaniemi and since we still have no idea when the playoffs are starting (It could be late July), he might and I stress might be ready giving us 100% of a lineup.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In the playoffs, when less penalties are called?  It could mean a lot more. 

Lets also remember this team was pretty good at the start of the year before Drouin and Byron got hurt in Washington.  They are coming back almost fully healthy.  The only question mark is Kotkaniemi and since we still have no idea when the playoffs are starting (It could be late July), he might and I stress might be ready giving us 100% of a lineup.

Not a clue what will play out over next few months,but should be interesting.

Sucks to be Senators, likely play zero (real) games from March to Jan 1.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

It seems like with the Habs, it's always one or the other: excellent 5-on-5 and terrible special teams, or - as it was under Jacques Martin - the reverse.

When it was the reverse, we heard a lot about how the Habs were not 'fundamentally sound' because they relied too heavily on special teams. Reliably being better than the other guys when both teams are icing a full roster does seem to be a meaningful indicator.

Certainly it is easier to understand a weak 5-on-5 team being good on special teams, than the other way around.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I wonder if MAB can still play 30 seconds of 5v5 per game and run the PP.

Ha haaaa, don't remind me of MAB 😄 Next you'll be calling for Glen Metropolit back on the PP unit.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha haaaa, don't remind me of MAB 😄 Next you'll be calling for Glen Metropolit back on the PP unit.

And D Murray on the PK

image.png

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let’s bring back Gaston Gingras out of retirement and see if he finally hit the net in his golden years.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Let’s bring back Gaston Gingras out of retirement and see if he finally hit the net in his golden years.

I never realized that he had 45 points in 66 games one year. Who knew? https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1917

All we need is the return of Pierre Dagenais and Team One-Dimensional-Man will be complete!

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I never realized that he had 45 points in 66 games one year. Who knew? https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1917

All we need is the return of Pierre Dagenais and Team One-Dimensional-Man will be complete!

In fairness to gingras, he was two dimensional. He could skate like the wind and had a howitzer shot - only problem is that usually couldn’t hit the broad size of a barn. Defensively he was a pylon.

as a kid, I had way too many of his hockey cards and couldn’t trade him for anything.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

In fairness to gingras, he was two dimensional. He could skate like the wind and had a howitzer shot - only problem is that usually couldn’t hit the broad size of a barn. Defensively he was a pylon.

as a kid, I had way too many of his hockey cards and couldn’t trade him for anything.

Here's a piece of useless information.

Gaston was from my hometown Joliette.  Haven't been there since 1990 though.

12 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Here's a piece of useless information.

Gaston was from my hometown Joliette.  Haven't been there since 1990 though.

Are there many barns near Joliette? I am guessing that may have prevented Gingras from practicing his shot... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Are there many barns near Joliette? I am guessing that may have prevented Gingras from practicing his shot... 

Mete and Alzner's shooting coach must of been...Gingras!

1 hour ago, DON said:

Mete and Alzner's shooting coach must of been...Gingras!

Actually Gingras could really blast it - he just couldn’t hit the net.

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Actually Gingras could really blast it - he just couldn’t hit the net.

Larry Robinson's memoir mentions how Gingras's teammates were terrified of his shot, since it was at least as likely to hit one of them as the net. Imagine Weber's cannon without his accuracy...yikes

I'm getting a good chuckle out of the Gingras memories.  His son Sebastien played 3 seasons with our local Jr A team.  I remember when I heard he was coming, my first thoughts were to wonder if he had heavy shot....and if it was woefully inaccurate due to genetic factors.  Sebastien managed 33 goals in 141 games played, so he was a much more accurate shooter than his old man.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:22 PM, Commandant said:

I wonder if MAB can still play 30 seconds of 5v5 per game and run the PP.

Wasn't MAB a bomber ... not a setup guy to run the PP?

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

It wasn't serious. You are thinking too deeply about this.

sorry ... pet peeve ... some believe that whoever gets the most goals "run the PP" ... just a trigger reaction

• Upvote 1

Getting back to Sergachev ... an offer sheet is impractical ... if Habs offer $10 million Mikhail's take home pay is slightly less than an $8 million offer form TBL ... lets say Tampa wants to keep Sergachev at $7.5 million (just below Hedman in AAV) the Habs would have to offer $9.75 million to match ... which would make MS the third highest AAV defenceman in the NHL ... he is good, but THAT good?  

Given the relative "positions" (geographic and NHL hierarchy) of the two teams it would likely take significantly more take-home pay to get MS to even look at an offer sheet, let alone sign, ... and once it hits $10,568,590 not only is the contract ridiculous but so is the compensation (four firsts).

• dlbalr unpinned this topic