2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I just don’t see how players would agree to this. Only league in the major sports that had escrow.

The NBA also has escrow.  It's currently at 10% (I think it's capped there but I'm not 100% sure) but the NBA had been talking about bumping that to 25%.  The revenue sharing element is also somewhat similar - it's not 50/50 but players get between 49-51% of basketball-related income (BRI). 

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would not prefer 3 embarrassing losses, would prefer the players to give it a good go and end the season with a little confidence going into next year. 

Understandable ... even if we don't fully agree

Players may hate escrow ... but the only other option to ensure the 50/50 split of designated revenues would be to significantly lower salaries so less than 50% of revenues go directly to players as salaries and then have some sort of "dividend" payment to players once actual revenues are calculated sometime after the season ends to get their share up to 50%

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Players may hate escrow ... but the only other option to ensure the 50/50 split of designated revenues would be to significantly lower salaries so less than 50% of revenues go directly to players as salaries and then have some sort of "dividend" payment to players once actual revenues are calculated sometime after the season ends to get their share up to 50%

Which is basically an escrow by another name!

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Which is basically an escrow by another name!

True ... but since the NHL doesn't know exactly how much teams will spend in salary for the season for which they are setting (in advance) the cap ceiling floor  ... OR ... what the revenues will be it ... one or the other is the only way to ensure each side gets 50% of the final designated (collectively negotiated) revenues ... 

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The NBA also has escrow.  It's currently at 10% (I think it's capped there but I'm not 100% sure) but the NBA had been talking about bumping that to 25%.  The revenue sharing element is also somewhat similar - it's not 50/50 but players get between 49-51% of basketball-related income (BRI). 

But we all know that NBA players are certainly stupid for accepting that ... :nuts:

10 hours ago, DON said:

Does seem dumb.

AND ... allowing the public into a facility used by multiple people confirmed to have tested positive for Covid-19 ... neither side of the coin makes much sense.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:00 PM, tomh009 said:

The only way to avoid escrow is to set the cap on the previous season's revenues (or the season before that, depending on when you need to finalize the cap). When they negotiated the cap they (both owners and NHLPA) decided they wanted to us actual revenues, so escrow is required.

So ... various sources are reporting that there is a draft agreement between the owners and the NHLPA on a CBA extension, as well as the return to play plan for this year. Quote from The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1909008/2020/07/03/all-the-details-of-the-current-framework-for-the-nhls-new-cba-agreement/

• The cap will stay at $81.5 million until revenues reach $4.8 billion. After that, a formula for establishing the cap will be employed that uses hockey-related revenues from two seasons prior. For instance, the 2022-23 cap would be calculated using hockey-related revenue numbers from 2020-21. In theory, this will blunt escrow growth.
  • Escrow on player salaries would be capped at:
    • 20 percent in 2020-21
    • 14-18 percent in 2021-22 (pending revenues in the previous season)
    • 10 percent in 2022-23
    • 6 percent in the final three seasons

They are actually proposing to do exactly what I suggested: base the cap on the season two years prior, so that the revenues can be fairly accurately estimated, and they can minimize the amount of escrow, after a transition period.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Good news ... of greatest importance (IMO) is the CBA extension ... nice to not have the clock ticking on September 15, 2022

• Like 1

Rink ranking (Vegas #1), from the Athletic

2. Bell Centre (Montreal)

Quality of facility: 6.82

Atmosphere: 7.68

Press box: 6.43

Total score: 28.36

I could devote this space to just the hot dogs. Luckily, Jeremy Rutherford already did that. Coming up on 25 years, the Bell Centre has held up pretty well in all facets of this discussion, and it leads our poll in the all-important atmosphere/fan experience score. Most people are pretty satisfied from the location to the overall facility to the atmosphere to the press box. The visiting media can be stuck with poles impeding their view of the ice, but let’s be honest, no one really cares about what the visiting media thinks. This arena is first-class. – Scott Powers

“Always special to cover a game at the Bell Centre. Love the views from the press box, love the hot dogs and cookies, and love watching the Montreal hockey media all filter out in between periods to smoke cigarettes.” – Thomas Drance

“I literally can’t think of anything I don’t like about this place other than the visiting dressing room is ridiculously too small.” – Kevin Kurz

“The beam that blocks the view of visiting media isn’t the reason I can’t see the game. I can’t see the game because I’m in the meal room eating the hot dogs.” – Jeremy Rutherford

4 hours ago, DON said:

“The beam that blocks the view of visiting media isn’t the reason I can’t see the game. I can’t see the game because I’m in the meal room eating the hot dogs.” – Jeremy Rutherford

hahahahahahaha

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Anymore or this year ... this year makes some sense ... going g forward makes no sense (IMO)

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Anymore or this year ... this year makes some sense ... going g forward makes no sense (IMO)

The UFA interview period being scrapped appears to be a permanent change.  I know there were flaws with the old system with deals getting agreed to even though numbers couldn't legally be discussed but I think it was still better than going back to the old way.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The UFA interview period being scrapped appears to be a permanent change.  I know there were flaws with the old system with deals getting agreed to even though numbers couldn't legally be discussed but I think it was still better than going back to the old way.

Honest question ... do you favour having the interview period or not?  

"flaws with the old system" and "better than going back to the old way" has confused me.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Honest question ... do you favour having the interview period or not?  

"flaws with the old system" and "better than going back to the old way" has confused me.

Yes, I favour having the interview period.  It's not perfect but is better than scrapping it and going back to the old way.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, I favour having the interview period.  It's not perfect but is better than scrapping it and going back to the old way.

Totally agree ... and it was a great way for the NHL to build interest in markets where they are the secondary/tertiary/quaternary team leading up to "July 1st" by generating some media coverage ... and in Canada it was red meat for a media/fan feeding frenzy ... but I might have done away with the tours (live visits) ... those could be a bit of a sideshow ... it might also open up the number of teams allowed to make presentations.

Edited by GHT120

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Totally agree ... and it was a great way for the NHL to build interest in markets where they are the secondary/tertiary/quaternary team leading up to "July 1st" by generating some media coverage ... and in Canada it was red meat for a media/fan feeding frenzy ... but I might have done away with the tours (live visits) ... those could be a bit of a sideshow ... it might also open up the number of teams allowed to make presentations.

I actually liked the visits element.  It was a good opportunity for players (and their wives/kids) to get a look at where they may be moving to.  That's an important factor in deciding where to sign so them getting that chance to see it in person was good.  (Of course, the players could spend some money and tour around themselves if they wanted to but I can't see many of them doing that.)

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I actually liked the visits element.  It was a good opportunity for players (and their wives/kids) to get a look at where they may be moving to.  That's an important factor in deciding where to sign so them getting that chance to see it in person was good.  (Of course, the players could spend some money and tour around themselves if they wanted to but I can't see many of them doing that.)

Yeah - most of them will either go where the money is, or go where they think the team has a "chance to win," even if it's a team of clearly declining greybeards like San Jose.

interesting that just 12% think Habs will win vs Pitt in mainpage poll, even though are lots of 1st round upsets every year..

40 minutes ago, DON said:

interesting that just 12% think Habs will win vs Pitt in mainpage poll, even though are lots of 1st round upsets every year..

So, 12% of the people think the Pens are more likely to win. Doesn't mean that they are 88% likely to win, though.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic